Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY PRODUCT or other website hyperlinks. This means to ANY products OR to other Forums . We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's a privately funded website. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Final drive casting mods

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Dustin Maki, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Dustin Maki

Dustin Maki Just got it firing!

I've got an idea for a sidecar racing rig with the sidecar wheel driven by a solid axle through the final drive.
    Instead of the rear wheel cush drive fins, the final drive will contain a Rzeppa joint with the axle passing through it, and through the area where the stock axle nut goes. The bike rear wheel will be offset slightly to the left and mounted only to the axle and the sidecar wheel way to the right. The left side of swingarm will be eliminated and the right (single)side beefed up. Essentially becoming like a quadbike single swingarm with solid axle pivoting inside the final drive. The idea being that the sidecar weight and both rear wheels stay planted while the bike and front wheel are free to lean into corners both ways.

I need to know if the final drive is likely to hold together if I start opening up the area on the (right)outside to allow clearance for the axle shaft to pass and pivot. The bike is a 2000 Jackal with stock final drive. If you know of any more suitable final drive unit, with a lower gear ratio, I'd love a recommendation.

Are there any known weak points in the Guzzi final drive that need reinforcing? I know this is at my own risk, just hoping to hear any experienced race mechanics to save me a few failed iterations.

If anyone has performed modifications to the rear drive casting, what welding filler materials worked best?
    Any idea how deeply or how wide I can machine into the axle nut boss before I strike oil? If I do break through, any recommendations for patching it up?

Any comments on the overall idea, especially expected handling characteristics are welcome.

2. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

I would try to get some University Eng. program geeks with access to modeling software to draw this up !

U of T has a group of keeners
    http://web.utk.edu/~dki/motorsports/ncar.html
    They aren’t working on a sidecar Racer but maybe you could get them interested in some aspect of it.

3. Dustin Maki

4. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

Take a close look at a Ural , that's pretty much how they drive the sidecar wheel , mind you , speed
    is certainly not a Urals' forte so to speak . Peter

john zibell likes this.
  5. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Dues U of Memphis have an mechanical eng. group participating in any SAE competition stuff ?
    Maybe getting some them interested in your project would help kick start them on their own ?

6. Dustin Maki

They did SAE Baja I think it was called, on the floor below me. I approached them while they were having belt problems with their CVT testing in the parking lot. They obviously had the driven sheave mounted backwards so it looked aligned at rest, but misaligned at speed. They wanted no input from outside their private little club, so I left them to their own devices.
    I helped a mech build a plasma speaker for a final project, but he's gone now. I think I have an in with engineering technology. They were getting a new CMM(coordinate measuring machine) as I was leaving. That would help map out thicknesses where I can't put a micrometer. Might get someone to run FEA(finite element analysis) on the casting with my changes. Its going to be weird going back, but a good idea I should have thought of.

7. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Who’s your Monkey ? :rofl:
    It would be cool to try, no so cool to go Flying off at a Speed :think:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  8. Dustin Maki

Thank you for the vote of confidence.
    One thing came up. I am not sure if a Rzeppa joint is able to support almost half the weight of a vehicle while also transmitting torque.
    It looks like a giant ball bearing that should be able to take it. But there are only 6 balls. They are mostly stopped or oscillating, not constantly rolling, and have perpendicular grooves. That is a lot of force concentrated at a few small points forced to wiggle a little. https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2016-01-1135/ haven't read it yet. Spalling or galling is likely. I Always forget which is which. I think spalling is when the surface flakes off and galling is when the surface embeds itself in the opposite surface before flaking off.

I think that calls for a static test before anyone jumps on and goes for a ride. Anyone with insight on this, I'd love to hear it. Not really many Rzeppa joints used in this fashion, especially on bikes. Probably not much out there. So even if you just have good Google fu, I could use that.