• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final drive casting mods

Dustin Maki

Just got it firing!
I've got an idea for a sidecar racing rig with the sidecar wheel driven by a solid axle through the final drive.
Instead of the rear wheel cush drive fins, the final drive will contain a Rzeppa joint with the axle passing through it, and through the area where the stock axle nut goes. The bike rear wheel will be offset slightly to the left and mounted only to the axle and the sidecar wheel way to the right. The left side of swingarm will be eliminated and the right (single)side beefed up. Essentially becoming like a quadbike single swingarm with solid axle pivoting inside the final drive. The idea being that the sidecar weight and both rear wheels stay planted while the bike and front wheel are free to lean into corners both ways.

I need to know if the final drive is likely to hold together if I start opening up the area on the (right)outside to allow clearance for the axle shaft to pass and pivot. The bike is a 2000 Jackal with stock final drive. If you know of any more suitable final drive unit, with a lower gear ratio, I'd love a recommendation.

Are there any known weak points in the Guzzi final drive that need reinforcing? I know this is at my own risk, just hoping to hear any experienced race mechanics to save me a few failed iterations.

If anyone has performed modifications to the rear drive casting, what welding filler materials worked best?
Any idea how deeply or how wide I can machine into the axle nut boss before I strike oil? If I do break through, any recommendations for patching it up?

Any comments on the overall idea, especially expected handling characteristics are welcome.

They did SAE Baja I think it was called, on the floor below me. I approached them while they were having belt problems with their CVT testing in the parking lot. They obviously had the driven sheave mounted backwards so it looked aligned at rest, but misaligned at speed. They wanted no input from outside their private little club, so I left them to their own devices.
I helped a mech build a plasma speaker for a final project, but he's gone now. I think I have an in with engineering technology. They were getting a new CMM(coordinate measuring machine) as I was leaving. That would help map out thicknesses where I can't put a micrometer. Might get someone to run FEA(finite element analysis) on the casting with my changes. Its going to be weird going back, but a good idea I should have thought of.

Who’s your Monkey ? :rofl:
I would be cool to try, no so cool to go Flying off at a Speed :think:
Thank you for the vote of confidence.
One thing came up. I am not sure if a Rzeppa joint is able to support almost half the weight of a vehicle while also transmitting torque.
It looks like a giant ball bearing that should be able to take it. But there are only 6 balls. They are mostly stopped or oscillating, not constantly rolling, and have perpendicular grooves. That is a lot of force concentrated at a few small points forced to wiggle a little. https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2016-01-1135/ haven't read it yet. Spalling or galling is likely. I Always forget which is which. I think spalling is when the surface flakes off and galling is when the surface embeds itself in the opposite surface before flaking off.

I think that calls for a static test before anyone jumps on and goes for a ride. Anyone with insight on this, I'd love to hear it. Not really many Rzeppa joints used in this fashion, especially on bikes. Probably not much out there. So even if you just have good Google fu, I could use that.

Back