• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final Drive Gear Oil Leaks V7 & V9

I’ve been investigating a final drive leak on my 2018 v7 after reviewing the thread on here.

I’ve just gone and test run tested some basics - cleaned the breather, checked it wasn’t overfilled. If anything, it was slightly under filled. Breather ball bearing moved freely. However it is still there - seems to persist from the inner of the wheel.

I also noted a slight gritty noise has developed whilst riding, and now when I spin the rear wheel on its centre stand, there is a slight, regular knock on rotation in either direction. I can’t really tell whether it’s from the rear wheel or gearbox area. This is not something I’ve noticed before. With this in mind, what would an experienced person look at next? Could this be a transmission issue?

I do have a video of the noise, but I’m unsure how to post it.

Many thanks

The knock is the u joint or driveshaft touching the housing because it is totally at it's fullest travel on the CC. totally normal. When on the ground it won't do it.
Ah, that puts me at ease, thankyou. Still gotta sort this bevel box leak next!

Thread merge to cover this topic in one thread. Covers both V7 and V9 rear drive issues. Starting with below...

View attachment 12600
I had the same problem on my v7 850 and it was overfilled at the factory and came out after 3500 miles. I had my mechanic check it out since it was in warranty and he drained the rest of the oil in a measuring cup and it was the right amount. So this proved that it was overfilled. The overflow tube must have been blocked and finally opened up to allow the extra oil out. They took the rear tire off and there was no seal problem.

My V7III had the final drive leak at about 4K miles. It was initially overfilled. My excellent local dealer fixed it under warranty and at 13K it's just fine. Unfortunately it seems a fairly common issue. That's the only problem I've had.

Left signal not functioning, defective left cylinder plug thread all will be replaced ( whole cover) by dealer under guarantee . I swear fuelling and vibration below 3.500 RPM smoothed after first service( they changed the gear and cadran oil too). As masters in Guzzi always say everything gets better as you ride . I love my Guzzi.

Just bought a 2023 V7 Stone, and at about 4000kms, I got the same rear drive hub leaking oil problems noted by others here. I'm hoping that the dealer finds that the bolts in the drive housing were loose, or some similar easy fix.

The really odd thing is that the problem is intermittent. The oil (maybe 10-15ml) leaked at some point in the first 200kms of a 400km ride, when I first noticed oil on the rim and tire. The second 200kms I was checking every 50kms for more oil, and there was none.

I actually bought the new V7, trading in an 2016 V7 Mk2, that had exactly the same leak start at 55000kms. This was due to loose bolts in the hub housing, and was not a whole lot of fun to fix. I figured that MG had sorted the problems out by the time they got to the 850 version. Maybe not.

Really annoying as otherwise the V7 with the 850 motor has been absolutely great.

UPDATE: Dealer took a look at hub. Found no issues. Drained and refilled hub. I put 900 kms on the bike since with no leaks. Best guess is slightly overfilled by factory, and somehow decided to spit out just a bit of oil at random.

Last edited:
Thread merge to cover this topic in one thread. Covers both V7 and V9 rear drive issues. Starting with below...

View attachment 12600
Not a problem, my 2021
v7 850 had the same issue. Apparently, they do not know how to measure the oil and overfill the gearbox. Had mine taken into the shop when I had the same problem and they measurerd the oil when draining it and it was the exact amount. This meant that the oil already lost all over my wheel etc was extra oil. I have not had the problem since.

As a V85 owner I can't fiigure MG design. So there you are riding in the dessert at 48C red dirt even hotter, and bitumen if exists is sticky & gooy & full of 3 trailers plus a couple road trains, and you come across a CREEK CROSSING, with freezing water...

Is it possible to "easily" (aka hand tools) to drill/tap/take out a bolt & screww in a pressure relief for the diff housing, so when gets hot doesn't pop that "spaceage" un-obtainium 'o-ring' that could get replaced with silastic tube 'stuff' / bathroom sealer.
Maybe a 'vent-tube' up high , in case creek is saddle deep? I call BS on +- 20ml oil on a diff, lucky if can find out hear.

so is a 'breather' possible to fit? any ideas thoughts appreciated.

Back