• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Final Drive Gear Oil Leaks V7 & V9

With a question like that I would email Todd direct and ask him. Since it appears it has his map on it. Did the previous owner give you the reflash tool? If so it's easy to get a map emailed to you from Todd if needed.

He did give me the tool. I'll mail Todd and see but I was under the impression it was expensive to get the new map so I am trying to cut back on expenses I can push out a few months.

Final drive leaking again yesterday at 692 miles - the bike was dealer serviced at 632 miles.

My initial leak was repaired by the dealer at 202 miles.

John in the UK

My new 2015 only has 300 miles on it as of now. After every break in ride I noticed small amount of oil on the rear wheel and around the housing. Thanks to this forum I've decided to take a closer look.

I took off the breather and sprayed compressed air through it. It seemed clear to me. I then took off the "dip stick"/fill cap and ALOT of oil came out. It was definitely over filled and now it is at the correct level.

I rode 60 more miles and no oil on the rear wheel so far. Will comment again if I notice more oil.

It's amazing to me how often dealer prep goes wrong, and the wrong amounts and/or types of oils get put in. Over on the "other" forum, I recently inadvertently insulted one highly competent Guzzi expert by stating that, in general, mechanics are better wrenchers than readers. I wasn't implying that this conclusion applies to him, but I think the evidence is pretty good that it often does apply. This is why I do as much of my own motorcycle maintenance as possible.

Also, depending on where the dealer is, many rely on outside "assembly" companies, that receive the shipments of bikes, then uncrate as needed, then deliver to the dealer assembled. Of course this costs, but eliminates the cost of crate material recycling/garbage, and in many cases only requires dealer to add gas and polish a bit. It may be cheaper than having to pay their mechanic staff to do the menial job of assembly. And, it may be that checking oils and torquing fasteners does not get done except at the factory.

My new 2015 only has 300 miles on it as of now. After every break in ride I noticed small amount of oil on the rear wheel and around the housing. Thanks to this forum I've decided to take a closer look.

I took off the breather and sprayed compressed air through it. It seemed clear to me. I then took off the "dip stick"/fill cap and ALOT of oil came out. It was definitely over filled and now it is at the correct level.

I rode 60 more miles and no oil on the rear wheel so far. Will comment again if I notice more oil.

I also removed that bolt/fill cap to check and it came leaking out. Not gushing but definitely came out. I used a cloth to stop it but I assume from your post that it shouldnt be at the level? When I pull out that plug, it should be at a level where no oil comes out?

I also removed that bolt/fill cap to check and it came leaking out. Not gushing but definitely came out. I used a cloth to stop it but I assume from your post that it shouldnt be at the level? When I pull out that plug, it should be at a level where no oil comes out?

I had used cloths to bring the level below the point where fluid dribbles out. (On a perfectly level ground)

When I changed the rear drive oil, I had filled it to the point where oil dribbles out (not rapidly leaking out, but more like a very slow leak). When I went for a ride afterwards (highway run @70-80mph), there was a lot of oil on the rear wheel. I then used a cloth again to take out some of the oil until there is no dribble and now there is no oil on the rear wheel no matter how fast or slow I ride.

It is probably best though to measure out the exact amount needed in there, taking into account the very little remaining after draining.

I had used cloths to bring the level below the point where fluid dribbles out. (On a perfectly level ground)

When I changed the rear drive oil, I had filled it to the point where oil dribbles out (not rapidly leaking out, but more like a very slow leak). When I went for a ride afterwards (highway run @70-80mph), there was a lot of oil on the rear wheel. I then used a cloth again to take out some of the oil until there is no dribble and now there is no oil on the rear wheel no matter how fast or slow I ride.

It is probably best though to measure out the exact amount needed in there, taking into account the very little remaining after draining.

Thank you. I'll try this. Was the bike up straight or on its side stand?

Hi all,

Season just opened, I've logged about 5000mi on my 2016 V7II Stone and noticed a weep of oil around the final drive. Oil appears to be coming out from in-between the wheel and the final drive housing.

I'm just wondering ... can someone point to the "flange bolts" in an image ... I can't seem to find them on the fiche ... how do I access them? Take the wheel off?

I'm still a few months in warranty, and experiencing some front brake cylinder weeping (as well as some weeping around the rubber electrical grommet that goes into the timing cover on the right side of the engine) ... A little disappointed, but these seem like common issues?

To be honest the last 5K have been almost completely worry free aside from already warranty fixing the front cylinder weep once. Nothing else to complain about.

Anyone have experience with the higher mileage oil weeping? Loose bolts? Getting to be that time for a full inspection and service anyhow ... thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7466.JPG
    IMG_7466.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7468.JPG
    IMG_7468.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7467.JPG
    IMG_7467.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 66
You have to remove the wheel to get at the flange bolts. If still under warranty see of the dealer can correct the issues.

I’ll add my v9 to the list of bikes with leaking rear drives. Started around 3500 miles and mostly happening at hwy speeds.
Had the rear wheel off to inspect and found it coming from the inner seals. I have started a warranty claim and hoping it gets handled quickly.

edit: Rear drive was replaced by dealer under warranty.
The seal completely failed and the full volume of fluid poorer out mid ride.

Attachments

• 81F29A93-5638-42D6-AE76-DB0F738B4340.jpeg
    81F29A93-5638-42D6-AE76-DB0F738B4340.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 49
  • B40D17CA-70BC-4D6A-87D5-F6FEC44EB5C6.jpeg
    B40D17CA-70BC-4D6A-87D5-F6FEC44EB5C6.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I’ll add my v9 to the list of bikes with leaking rear drives. Started around 3500 miles and mostly happening at hwy speeds.
Had the rear wheel off to inspect and found it coming from the inner seals. I have started a warranty claim and hoping it gets handled quickly.

Have you checked air breather condition and oil level, after noticed the leak?
AFAIK, overfilling and inoperational breather may build pressure leak the seal.

Hi all, New here, from Liverpool UK.

I have a V7 III Milano bought in March 2019. Just clocked 3500miles after a tour of the Scottish Highlands and I've noticed oil drips on the rear right side wheel rim. I've taken on everything mentioned here and have just booked in with my local dealer. He is inspecting and going down the warranty route.
I had done a load of short journey on 30°C roads. Heat and pot holes....

So points to take to the dealer...
Blocked breather
Loose flange bolts
Knackered seal(s)
Bearings not flush
Too much oil
Imperfections
All the above.

Funny thing is I have been caning the rings off the gal coming back from bonnie scotland last week, 95mph motorway through rain and side winds for a significant distance. Left it parked up for 3 days then washed all the crap off. No problems.
Go for a leisurely ride in the hot Sun and it bleedin' leaks!

Hi, I'm a new Guzzi Proud Owner... V7iii Stone 2019.
Seen the first sign of oil on rim and tire after first service (1 400km); and once again this week after 2 100km; as it's recommended in the maintenance book to check final drive oil level, shoul'd I do this (as well as checking breather) before bringing it for warranty repair? Overfill seams to be a common cause of this problem? Thanks!

Guess is my turn now.

Just noticed today. Bike has 5400 km and 6 months old. Next wednesday will leave it at the dealer.
I'm not very happy with my choice of bike at this point to be honest. A brand new bike that pings and leaks... Wonder what will be next.

Attachments

• 20200905_150243.jpg
    20200905_150243.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200905_150709.jpg
    20200905_150709.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 53
Guess is my turn now.

Just noticed today. Bike has 5400 km and 6 months old. Next wednesday will leave it at the dealer.
I'm not very happy with my choice of bike at this point to be honest. A brand new bike that pings and leaks... Wonder what will be next.

I picked up a 2014 v7 II Stone w/ 5200 miles last month and noticed the Jackson Pollock art on my wheel after about 500 miles. I checked level and small amount of oil came out of view port. I let it drain and put some fresh in; let it drain and then buttoned everything up. I had already scheduled a trip to the nearest dealer (2.5 hrs) and monitored the level till i drove it out there three days ago.

Dealer sez final drive oil had been over-filled and was blowing out the main seals at outer circumference of hub assembly. The seals are actually shims that set the gear engagement inside.
Dealer sez replacement is 6.5 hrs shop time and I'll have to trailer it down next time.
Dealer sez lower drain plug on housing was overtorqued and installed without crush washer.
Dealer replaced crush washer on drain plug and it STILL leaks - MUCH more than before.
Dealer snapped off the stainless through bolt on the left muffler clamp and could not remove the remaining stub. I will need to remove it, drill it out and replace it with a through bolt/lockwasher/nut assembly.
Dealer adjusted valves, replaced plugs and changed oil. >$400
Dealer OVERFILLED the oil level significantly. (see video) It was shifting horribly driving home and neutral was difficult to find.
When I parked overnight, had larger than ever puddle on rim.
I am not going back to dealer again.

Just found out about breather cap and I plan to clean it. I might just drill it open and install tubing to in front of swing arm and down (like the old battery breathers).

I have a 4-day trip to Deals Gap/Blue Ridge Pkway/Tail of Dragon next week and plan to take the bike - If I can't rectify the leak before than, I will bring oil and check levels frequently.
I've been riding since 1969. This is my first European bike. First bike was an X6. I have an RD and a NT650 hawk - neither are suitable for this trip.
Wish me luck.......

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ENQXL3qLQg7bWfRR8

Attachments

• guzzi1.JPG
    guzzi1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 86
  • guzzi2.JPG
    guzzi2.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 89
  • guzzi3.JPG
    guzzi3.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 83
  • guzzi4.JPG
    guzzi4.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 84
  • guzzi5.JPG
    guzzi5.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 80
  • guzzi6.JPG
    guzzi6.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 84
  • garage1.JPG
    garage1.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 83
  • garage2.JPG
    garage2.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 79
  • garage3.JPG
    garage3.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 69
Even though Mobil 1 is my go-to oil Guzzi small blocks don't seem to like it in the rear end! I'd go to wally world and buy cheap 85/140 non-synthetic gear lube, drain completely and then take a flat file to the drain hole and smooth it down. if it was over-torqued and somehow they didn't strip it the threads might be bowed out slightly. then put a new crush washer on preferably one with the built-in O ring and maybe a bit of Teflon pipe tape on the threads. Fill with 5.5 ounces of oil, no more.

Hello everyone
So I removed my final drive to grease the splines. I found a good amount of gear oil in it which helped with lubrication I hope.
I'm not leaking from the gasket that faces the wheel(knock on wood), but it is coming from where the pinion gear is located.
Could this be a case of simply overfilling, vent not working properly, or a blown seal? this is on the driveshaft side.
Thanks again.

Back