• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Finally, my own Griso

hs3000

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite a while now. Recently I have been riding an F800S. While it is a great
bike, it just didn't inspire me. I stumbled upon a 2007 Griso locally, took a quick
test ride and promptly made an offer. Heard back a few days later and it is now in my garage!

The bike currently has the Mistral exhaust with no baffle. It is too loud( IMO). It is also not running as well as I think it should be. Tons of popping on decel and uneven idle, snatchy throttle and acts like it wants to stall when I shut the throttle. The PO attempted to paint the tank matte black, looks terrible. I contacted MG Cycle for a baffle, they are out of stock but hopefully will be in soon.

All that said, the ridiculous grin this bike produces when I twist the throttle is just beyond belief.

Tail tidy too!! Looks great. Doesn't even look like you have liver spots on the headers!!!

Even with the stock pipe, I get occasional popping on deceleration. I'm looking for a replacement can for my 1100, one that won't require a remap. Hope adding the db killer smooths thing out for you.

Hope you enjoy the Griso, they are great bikes, very much underrated I think, and fabulous looking machines. Like all Guzzi they take a while to get dialled in to, but perseverance pays off.

Actually, I'm only posting to find out what you thought of the F800. I'm very tempted to buy one myself, and would be interested to read your remarks.

Very nice. A db killer will help, and most of the symptoms you mention can be improved with proper setup. Taking up any slack in the throttle cables, setting the valves and TPS, balancing the throttle bodies, etc, will smooth out the idle and eliminate surging. As Birch says, some popping is normal, you just notice it more with a straight pipe.

A Griso is a guaranteed smile producer. Enjoy.

8626824275_f500ae53e6_b.jpg

Congrats on the G11!

Tuning is very important on most all Guzzi, and the most important things require electronics. I offer the Centurion-S Kit if you are a DIY'er; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-11

Otherwise, even bone stock, the bike will respond very well to fuel modification. You can read up on it here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/235/2686

Also, please post your info in the Registry thread; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/163/11533

Welcome to the Famiglia, and hope you post often.

Any questions or help, feel free to mail me direct; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks for all the info and welcomes!

After reading as much as I could, it seems that setup and personalization are absolutely key as wittangamo mentioned. Also read that the bike 'likes' a certain amount of restriction in the exhaust which is why I am getting the baffle.

I bought the bike from a Guzzi shop that had it on consignment. Full records and a recently completed service from the original owner that included TPS and balancing, etc. Unfortunately, the PO didn't ride it much, 2900 miles! Needs a good cleaning, and he tried to spray can matte black over the original tank. This weekend I hope to get it cleaned up, adjust throttle cables, set up the suspension and look for new tires, the originals are squared off pretty badly.

Todd, thanks for the links. I was looking at the exhausts you have listed and they are gorgeous. If I don't get on with the Mistral I may be giving you a shout. I will also add my info to the registry soon.

All said, and as much work as I have ahead of me, I am really liking this bike so far. Hopefully it only gets better!

figaro said:
Actually, I'm only posting to find out what you thought of the F800. I'm very tempted to buy one myself, and would be interested to read your remarks.

I have an 07 F800S, I bought it when I was planning to do a lot of touring and I thought it would be a good platform. The bike is light, good power, handles very well, the ABS works great and has saved me more than once. Gets 60mpg on the highway and except for a valve cover leak and a minor recall, has been 100% reliable.

Unfortunately, shortly after I bought it personal circumstances changed and I haven't done any long distance riding. And while it does everything very well, I am much more drawn to naked bikes that have a bit more character.
Overall I would recommend it, just not for me. If I continue liking the Griso it will be up for sale shortly.

Thanks for that. They seem like a great compromise bike, and I like the look of the S model. While I love the Le Mans, I don't think it's the right bike for a 2000+ mile thrash round Europe. Something like the F800 would fit the bill nicely.

You can probably count on the DB killer fixing a whole lot of what ails your Gris. My O9 came with a MG Termi pipe with the db killer removed. Throttle response was AWFUL and the popping was more than annoying. Some boneheads might say it is cool, but alas, the bonehead who pulled mine out probably didn't know that performance and power actually get WORSE with the db Killer removed despite all the ruckus. (I don't mind "loud", in fact was a bit worried the db Killer, when i got one, would make it too quiet ... it didn't).

Before the db Killer I was talking remaps and all kinds of adjustments ... after? The beast has been tamed. Fuel mileage improved dramatically, like an honest 20+%. Roll-on and roll of, and low speed became just fantastic. I don' t even have the 68 Mapping, and will probably do that in the spring.

And yes, the Griso is an incredibly "different" bike, in most ways better, in some ways quirky ... but on a scale of "different"... I call it perfect! A) It is NOT generic at all. It always stands out! B) While different, it stands out in a head-turning good way, beautiful. Not head turning stupid. There are no bad angles (other then the Termi pipe covers a bit too much of the open wheel.) C) It is powerful and fast. No, not superbike fast ... but so what? The power is ALWAYS there, and knowing that is really cool. It the 50 to 90 roll-on is where is shows it guts. And isn't that also perfect? D) It sounds different and awesome. NEVER head a bad comment, heard MANY MANY great comments ... also about looks ... did I say "it is not generic" enough? E) The fit and finish are always a topic for discussion by admirers! Go Guzzi.

Rock on Gris owners ... we have found pearls! (did I say "It is not generic" enough times? But not silly non-generic!)
GBrag

I agree GBrag,

The Griso to me is, how should I say...not generic. (haha).
Seriously though you are correct. Something about this bike just really resonates.
The torque is amazing, albeit quite loud without the baffle. I went for a ~200 mile ride
yesterday and even at 75mph on the highway the exhaust note was quite noticeable and tiresome. I am deciding on waiting to make any changes (carbon canister delete, fueling) since it seems to be related to some of the idling issues or just waiting for MG Cycle to get the baffle in stock.

The other issue is sorting the suspension and acquiring some new tires. The current are starting to square off, but they don't seem bad enough to make the bike feel as sketchy as it does in corners. I'm guessing the PO changed the susp. settings but it is difficult to get sag numbers without a proper stand.

Despite the initial challenges(or in spite of), it is a bike that I find myself sneaking out to the garage to look at. So yes, you could say it is perfect!

Suspension: There's a detailed suspension settings thread elsewhere in this forum, but if you can't easily set sag, there are "competition" settings in the owner's manual that make a good starting point.

Tires: You'll get as many suggestions as there are brands, but no one has anything bad to say about Michelin Pilot Road 3 (except that they aren't cheap.) Mileage is good, handling is excellent wet or dry.

GT-Rx said:
...Otherwise, even bone stock, the bike will respond very well to fuel modification. You can read up on it here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/235/2686...

My '06 has the same exhaust with no DB killer. Although a tad loud, still quieter than the neighbor's Harley. :D

I had my ECU re-flashed. Made a big difference and cured several annoying problems. I'd highly recommend it.

MJPTexas said:
GT-Rx said:
...Otherwise, even bone stock, the bike will respond very well to fuel modification. You can read up on it here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/235/2686...

My '06 has the same exhaust with no DB killer. Although a tad loud, still quieter than the neighbor's Harley. :D

I had my ECU re-flashed. Made a big difference and cured several annoying problems. I'd highly recommend it.

It actually sounds pretty cool, but I leave the house early, live in the city and get along with my neighbors, so...

For now I want to see how it runs with the much needed baffle. In the future I may look into addressing the fueling.

Regarding the suspension, can someone verify that these forks are far from stock?
This is how it was setup when I bought it. According to the manual and the threads I have read, the forks don't seem to be set anywhere close to what is stock. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm about 165lbs with gear.

I just bought a 2007 Griso that only had 5700 miles on it.
I took it to a mechanic that I once worked with (back in 2000)
and he did a tune up.

I had him check the drive shaft splines for grease.
There was NONE.
Same issue with a Stelvio he had in the shop at the same time.

NO GREASE on the drive shaft.

Get it checked.

DungeonMaster

3 rings above the clamp was the stock setting on mine. Just like in your pic.

Randy

Buster1 said:
3 rings above the clamp was the stock setting on mine. Just like in your pic.

Randy

I was referring to the height of the fork leg. According to the service manual, etc. there should be 4 rings above the triple clamp. Mine, only two.

Can anyone have a look and let me know if the book is wrong or if my forks have been moved? TIA

Dungeonmaster, thanks for the tip. Looks like I am going to have quite a bit of setup and maintenance checks to do. Hoping it can wait till this winter, when I can take my time and not miss any riding time.

And he was answering your question from what I read.
And to throw mine in there too, mine was delivered from the dealer the same as yours as well. I have added a little more preload to get my sag right. I have read of plenty of people dropping the front end (raising the tubes in the triples so that more lines show above the clamps) but I have not done so.
I do not know what the manual or the build instructions for the dealers say to do. I don't know what the stock settings are, either. I do know that the stock settings are not of much use and I can't see worrying about what they are. Rather, I would adjust from where you are at until it is right for you.

I took everyone's advice and set up the suspension per the thread on this forum. Amazing difference in handling. It no longer feels like it wants to fall into a corner. Overall an incredible improvement. I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Thanks to all those that contribute, what a great forum. Now I'm gonna go ride!

Back