• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Finding the right tires

mick2

Just got it firing!
I am looking for a set of new tires for my Stelvio. I plan on a ride up to Atlin BC and the Yukon area this summer. I will be on some gravel and mixed road surfaces and i know its slick when it rains. Michelin Anakee 2 or 3's seem be leading the way by utube reviews. Has anybody used these tires.

Anakees, Heidenau K60 or the short-life Continental TKC80 for real off-road excursions. The 90/10% street tires will work if just on dry gravel roads or similar.

mick2 said:
I am looking for a set of new tires for my Stelvio. I plan on a ride up to Atlin BC and the Yukon area this summer. I will be on some gravel and mixed road surfaces and i know its slick when it rains. Michelin Anakee 2 or 3's seem be leading the way by utube reviews. Has anybody used these tires.

I used Anakee 2's on my DL1000 and liked them quite a bit - they are a good choice when a significant majority of the time will be on pavement, with 10-15% rough-road riding. Unlike the current Metzeler offering, the Anakee can be obtained in H-rated tires - the Metz V-rated tires wear too quickly.

I would have to suggest these...

IMG_20120808_101459.jpg

IMG_20120808_101717.jpg

Mitas E07

Long life and great grip.

everything from rock climbing

IMG_20120927_131553.jpg

to sand

IMG_20120927_130708.jpg

pavement or dirt / gravel roads.

IMG_20120927_134405.jpg

mick2 said:

I have the Anakee 2's on my Stelvio and they suit the bike well. Great road manners, good mileage and excellent handling - you'll be scraping the pegs in no time ! Lots of 'feel' and a very neutral rate of turn, I find them much better than the O/E Pirelli's. Good in the wet (well tested in Scotland...) and very capable on gravel tracks and horse poop. If you're only doing gravel tracks they will be perfect as they have very little compromise as a road tyre. If you are going into muddy/sandy areas you may need something chunkier as mentioned above. I'm on my second set and rate them highly.

As much as the Mitas are chunkier than Anakees or tourances they hold the road just as well. I have run both on this bike after I only got 5k out of the OEM tires.
These have lasted longer for me than any of the others I have run. And yes I can scrape pegs with them when so inclined.
The Mitas transform the bike on looser surfaces. Much more stable and confidence inspiring.

I don't feel there is any down side to them.

I have a couple of Aprillia Pegaso Trails, and put Anakee2's on them. I like these a lot. Good in the dirt and great on the road. Well mannered in the wet - much better than the Scorpions.
I've just put Anakee3's on my Stelvio NTX, and put about 400 miles on them so far. Done some rough country back roads; some around town, wet and dry - even dodging a bit of snow on the road, and some runs to 120mph over the mountain on very cold roads (lots of snow still on both sides, and a bit of melt across part of the road). I like the 3's too - but did notice a bit more tyre noise from these - nothing serious tho. I haven't had the 3's in the dirt yet, but expect they would be as capable as the 2's.

I asked for something similar but with longer life than the OEM tire on my bike and sure got it. I think I am at about 11,000 miles now with lots to go. Plus they were offered to me at 200 less than the OEMs, which, by the way, hold their own on gravel or sand. Altho they seem a little more like a street tire, they have certainly served their purpose for me. Might even go for another set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzXLuEiPIk

mick2 said:

What year bike do you have?
Different years have different size rear tires due to different rim widths.

My 2011 Stelvio has 5.5" rims with 180/55-17 tires. It is more difficult to locate tires in this size...

Has anybody run the original Metzler Tourances on the Stelvio?

I'm running those now on the Vstrom and like them quite a bit. I seem to get ~10k miles from a rear and twice that for the front without much cupping.

I've had great luck with the Shinko E705's. Currently on my fourth set. I get the same mileage out them than I got with the Annakee's, Pirelli's etc. They seem better in gravel to me than the Anakee's and the Pirelli's.

I'm putting on a set of these (Pirelli Scorpion Rally) for a 200 mile Adventure Bike ride here in the Berkshires. I'll let you know how they work:

PIR-SR-001_is

Re looking for the right tires. I have the 2009 stelvio. The back stock tire is a Pirelli 180/55/17. Anakee 3 only come in a 160/50/17. (don't quote me on this) The 2012 Stelvio has a narrower rim and could fit the anakee 3 / 2.
My search is has led me to the pirelli trail 180/55/17 rear. 90% road 10% gravel. This could be my pick as i still like to hack a good corner. They go for about $190 here in Canada.
Does anybody have any feed back on these tires.

I'm just about to have a BT023GT fitted and head to France in a few weeks. I've always been a BT person so I'm expecting to like this version of the 023.

2009 Stelvio with 180 rear

National tyres are offering a pair for 195GBP but the they need fitting. Bike Tyres Leeds will fit a pair to loose wheels for 206GBP but they are 70 miles from me. I only need a rear and a dealer just a mile away can fit and balance to a loose wheel for 140GBP so I've booked it in for next week.

No off roading for me, well not intentionally... :blink:

windy

Anyone thought about the new Metezler Karoo 3?

They are stating they have a dual sport purpose?

BT023's Not bad for a bit of off roading.. :blink:

My mate on his R1, I had already got over the land slip, he went around, we went up and over several landslides before giving up and turning back because once we made it around the bend there were many many more slips. It was fun but also scary, we were on the edge sometimes with handle bars over hanging hundreds of feet of straight drops, tyres just inches from the edge...

we were riding the "Route des Grande Alpes"

Not really relevant but as I mainly (ok...only) do road use, AND i bought the bike with this tyre, I run a Michelin something something 3, dual compound tyre. I have noticed I haven't squared it off yet and is sticks like pooooo to a woolen blanket...so much so, I'm running out of tyre tread but still not scraping anything??? :S

Attachments

• tyre 2.jpg
    tyre 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 244
Pilot Road 3's ?
Very impressive lack of chicken strip there !!

Back