• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fitting a Stebel Horn WITHOUT relay???

Bluntly

Tuned and Synch'ed
My dealer just fitted my Stebel Horn without the relay that was included in the pack. :shock:

I know nothing about vehicle electrics but (on the basis they wouldn't supply a relay if it wasn't necessary) am concerned that I'll fry my electrics if I use it without a relay... :S

Advice needed please.

As long as it is on a circuit that has a fuse it will be fine and in all likelyhood will give no trouble, the relay is probably supplied (with a horn at least) as an insurance measure to make sure that all installation possibilities are covered, but having said that it's not the best way to do it.

A relay is necessary when the device that is being controlled will draw more current than the control circuit will safely provide. A horn probably draws quite a bit of power, but without knowing anything about your horn in all likelyhood it is probably not more than the circuit can provide and if it is fused you will know pretty quickly if it's not.

Remember I know nothing about the total load on the circuit that he has used, or the current draw by the horn... hence the reason why a relay is better, it prevents possible unforeseen issues.

If he has installed a fuse in the circuit (which IMO he should have regardless) you will not fry the electrics if you use it and it draws more than the circuit is capable off.

Does that help?

Mike.C said:
As long as it is on a circuit that has a fuse it will be fine and in all likelyhood will give no trouble, the relay is probably supplied (with a horn at least) as an insurance measure to make sure that all installation possibilities are covered, but having said that it's not the best way to do it.

A relay is necessary when the device that is being controlled will draw more current than the control circuit will safely provide. A horn probably draws quite a bit of power, but without knowing anything about your horn in all likelyhood it is probably not more than the circuit can provide and if it is fused you will know pretty quickly if it's not.

Remember I know nothing about the total load on the circuit that he has used, or the current draw by the horn... hence the reason why a relay is better, it prevents possible unforeseen issues.

If he has installed a fuse in the circuit (which IMO he should have regardless) you will not fry the electrics if you use it and it draws more than the circuit is capable off.

Does that help?

Mike I disagree.

The horn button provides a ground path for the horn. They are a little fragile and not robust. The amperage going through can fry the contact. I use the original wiring to trigger the relay, then provide separate B+ to the relay to power the horn. I give the horn a good chassis ground for return current. The thing is supplied with a 30 amp relay for a reason.

Which Stebel horn did you have installed? If it's the Nautilus, then yes, you need to use the relay or you'll fry the wiring. Don't ask me how I know. :oops: I didn't learn on the Stelvio thank goodness.

You'll notice that it will honk without the relay, but if you hold that horn button for any length of time at all, you'll have problems.

All that said, I don't know what sort of relay the stock set up has. It COULD be stout enough. But from my experience with Piaggio products, I highly doubt it. Perhaps someone who has dug into the bike a lot deeper than I have can offer the real story.

OK, I will invoke the caveats in my original post about the details of the installation. If these things draw that much current then I would also be hesitant without a relay.

It's a Nautilus blows the mobiles users ears off :lol:

It seems they took the quick and easy route. :evil:

I'm annoyed they didn't do the job properly and will be having "a word" later today.

Thanks Guys. :D

From the schematic.
There is a 30A fuse direct from the battery that feeds the ignition switch, then to various items. This feeds a 15A fuse to various accessories including the horn button. That feeds the horn directly and the other side of the horn goes directly to ground.

The Stebel Nautilus has a HUGE startup current draw. I'm surprise the horn even works well.

That being said, I upgraded mine to a pair of Fiamms without a relay and have no issues yet. I'm used to my other Guzzi's which come from the factory with a horn relay.

Could the stock horn been any more wimpy for such a beast of a Bike. I had a friend who works for a body shop but a horn from a Mercedes automobile and it has significantly improved the sound of the horn. It sounds like a car and it had the exact same fit as the stock horn. I am not embarrassed to honk my horn anymore. :lol:

Where are you all mounting your Stebel horns? I just got a Wolo Bad Boy horn (same thing as the Stebel) and haven't had a chance to look for a mounting place yet. I alway use the relay and heavy wiring when mounting a high powered horn.

I put a Nautilus on my Suzuki as the OE horn was mounted behind the radiator and stopped working when the bike warmed up!
It makes your ears bleed alright but there is quite a delay between you pressing the button and the noise. For the Stelvio I bought a single snail shell Stiebel. Travelling at 70mph with ear plugs it can be clearly heard, unlike the one that came with the bike. and as stated the draw the Nautilus takes it needs a relay.

RokonRon said:
Where are you all mounting your Stebel horns? I just got a Wolo Bad Boy horn (same thing as the Stebel) and haven't had a chance to look for a mounting place yet. I alway use the relay and heavy wiring when mounting a high powered horn.

I got carried away and separated the Nautilus compressor from the horn plastic. This way I could mount the compressor under the dash where the emissions canister used to be. Then I mounted the horn plastic basically where the stock horn was located. A short run of hose from one to the other, and we're in business. I couldn't get the Nautilus to fit under the dash in stock form.

Oh, and a relay as well, definitely.

Spoke to techie, taking it in next week to have the relay fitted while I wait.

Thanks all. :D

Back