• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Flying the Guzzi Smallblock Flag

Great article Kevin. You are correct that the Glenn Curtiss Museum is a great place to visit. Also I live the finger lakes region. Did you happen to stay in Watkins Glenn? If not that is another great destination.

Well, we blew it in the planning stage and didn't realize there was a NASCAR race at the Glenn that weekend so we wound up in Hornell, which wasn't bad at all.

But in earlier parts of my life I've been to Americade and The BMW Finger Lakes rally etc. So I'm passingly familiar with the area.... And happy to come back any time.

What a fine piece of moto-writing, Kev. Kinda wish it were in one of the major print rags, but Revzilla gets a pretty good readership.

How nice, too, to see appropriate comments to an article. I won't read those anymore in news stories, as it seems 99% are by loonies or meanies or both.

Come visit the top of Virginia sometime.

Best,

Bill

Kev: Gotta say I enjoyed your article & have lived by that philosophy most of my life.
Had a good chuckle about going south to get north. I'm originally from South Jersey born & raised in the Pine Barrens.

My wife & I lived to ride & loved to ride and whenever we could get a 3 day weekend together would load up the El Dorado & go.
I rode a 750 Ambassador as my daily ride & kept the El Doo for trips. We would load the bike up Thursday night & when we got home from work Friday jump on & go.

The trip always started the same: Garden State Pkwy to the Ferry, if we missed the last boat we got a room & started early next day.
Once into Delaware it was anybody's guess where we would go but it was not unusual to go thru Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsy, New York & home. There were many times we rolled in with enough time to shower, change clothes & go to work.

Do you know of Batsto village? Don't know if something like that is to your liking but it may be a nice ride. I haven't been there in 40 years.

Thanks guys!

Trout, yup very familiar with Batsto, it's one of the first things I found when we moved here two years ago. It and Bulltown road and the few twisty roads that run through the Wharton forest by it are parts of two or three different loops I take through the Pinelands regularly.

As an ex-New Yorker and Pennsyltuckian, I have to admit that south Jersey is prettier than I imagined.

I'm in Florida now where everybody is from someplace else & so I get asked a lot where I'm from originally & I always say SOUTH Jersey!
There is a lot (or used to be) of pretty country in SJ. Madison county FL reminds a lot of home for some reason.

I haven't been up there in about 15 or 18 years now so i imagine it is continuing to grow. After I posted about Batsto I got on Google maps to see if I could find a place we used to camp at called Godfrey's Bridge. LOL there's a campground there now & it looked like a housing development. Used to be a long, lonely dirt road.

I've been through there and a number of trails in Wharton. I picked up a Jeep Wrangler last November and had it scratching brush on tight trails with only 100 miles on it.

Actually it's also a family wagon and beach runner. As I type this we just arrived at the OBX beach house (in the dunes of the 4x4 only section).

I basically picked up the Jeep as a forest trail, beach crawler, kid delighter.

Well, if you ever make it back up to South Jersey, we'll put you up and feed you some Buffalo wings, or ears, or tails from the Pic-A-Lilly. That's not even five miles from our place and on the edge of the Wharton forest.

OMG The Pic-A-Lilly is still there!

In the 70's I used to stop in there for a beer & had been told by a few of the regulars that a neighbors goat used to go in there & the bartender would serve him a beer in a bowl. Rumor was the goat would walk up to the bar, put his front hooves on the bar stool to get served, drink one beer & leave.

I drank a lot of beers there hoping to meet that goat but never did get acquainted.

If you ever go thru the City of Port Republic & see a campground called Blueberry Hill then you have visited my homestead.
My family started it in 1957 & ran it thru 1971. The house I grew up in is still there (at least I see it on Google maps).
Wander on down to the swimming area and you will see a fresh water lake to the right & Nacote creek to the left.
On the fresh water side is an old cement dam we used to dive off & that is wear I broke my neck.

On the other side of the dam bridge is a big dirt parking lot that in the winter time the fire department would flood for an ice skating rink.

The big house that sits right next to the lake was owned by a lady named Ethel Noyes who started Smithville Inn. Supposedly George Washington had slept there.

Well there is a quick tour of where I grew up.

Last edited:
Yup the Pic is a popular bike gathering spot.

Thanks for sharing, I'll check out your old stomping grounds some time.

OMG The Pic-A-Lilly is still there!

In the 70's I used to stop in there for a beer & had been told by a few of the regulars that a neighbors goat used to go in there & the bartender would serve him a beer in a bowl. Rumor was the goat would walk up to the bar, put his front hooves on the bar stool to get served, drink one beer & leave.

I drank a lot of beers there hoping to meet that goat but never did get acquainted.

Was that the bar that the Widow's Sons drank in?

Back