• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Forks do not look nice anymore....

Gazdok

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My Breva is about 15 years old but still looking quite o.k., except for the forks. As I ride through the winters I guess this does not help, but there is not much I can polish out and buff up anymore and I am considering a new coat of paint.

While I am quite o.k. with paints on other surfaces I have never done forks on a bike.

What is the easiest way of doing this or the least complicated approach.
My thoughts were - every thing off the front end and forks out, spray and put the bike bike back together.

Has anyone actually done this before?

I am not familiar with the details of the Breva forks, but on every bike I've owned that had polished or painted fork sliders, I dismantled the forks to whatever extent required in order to free the sliders, cleaned and degreased them thoroughly, sealed and masked all openings, used paint remover or a walnut shell blaster to remove old paint and corrosion as required, and then painted or repolished the sliders. And then reassembled the fork and filled them with fresh oil. It's probably a good idea to change the fork seals while you're in there.

On some bikes, getting the fork sliders off is a simple matter of boosting up the front end an a lift or hoist, dropping the brake, wheel, and fender assemblies, taking the bolts out of the bottom of the sliders, and pulling the sliders off the fork tubes. But I'd look up what's needed to do this for the Breva forks ... I don't think it would work for my V7III Racer, for example; I'd have to pull the fork tubes out of the clamps and dismantle them on a bench, I think.

G

Disassembly and powdercoating is probably the best alternative. Haven't done myself, but seems paint wouldn't be as durable as powdercoat.

Disassembly and powdercoating is probably the best alternative. Haven't done myself, but seems paint wouldn't be as durable as powdercoat.

Powder coat is good for this, usually, but depending on who does the job can cause distortion of the slider if the curing oven's temperature isn't well regulated (and too hot), and powder coating implies a very thorough cleaning of all surfaces and very clean sealing and closing of all apertures and threads. The surface finish options and color for powdercoat is often a bit limited too. The last time I did this, I had my sliders painted at a good paint shop with a matched dark metallic gray epoxy paint. The finish never faded or chipped in the time I had that bike.

On some bikes, getting the fork sliders off is a simple matter of boosting up the front end an a lift or hoist, dropping the brake, wheel, and fender assemblies, taking the bolts out of the bottom of the sliders, and pulling the sliders off the fork tubes. But I'd look up what's needed to do this for the Breva forks ... I don't think it would work for my V7III Racer, for example; I'd have to pull the fork tubes out of the clamps and dismantle them on a bench, I think.
G

Forks have to be completely removed. The new seals are the last item installed because the bushings on the fork tubes would cut a seal if they are installed first. Since you have to take it apart, it could be a good time to upgrade by adding https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/products/norgebreva-fork-kit

I am planing to remove and paint the forks.
As I have not done much to forks other than loosen and tighten the triple tree, is there anything specific when removing / installing forks?
Are there any instructions available? The handbook / workshop manual does not give much advice.

Breva 1100 forks are easy to remove from the bike and install. The handle bar risers ensure they are equal height on install. The disassembly and assembly of the fork is a different matter. You could remove the forks yourself, then have a reputable shop disassemble then re-assemble. Be sure to use anti seize compound when installing the fender mounting screws.

Did them on my Norge in May. easy strip down, no probs. I used Hammerite smooth silver colour which I must admit looked very good.
As usual plenty of prep and not rushing the coats is the key to a good finish

Back