Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Fractured clavicle healing

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by Rafael, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

Here's something I've learned from my little mishap last summer and I hope no one else needs it but here it is anyway.

1) A 'non dislocated fracture' doesn't mean it won't move after the x-ray.

2) ER Docs or step-down ward docs don't give orthopedic advice. They just want you to live and not come back because of a related complication, such as pneumonia.

3) Before your first follow up with an orthopedic doc, 3rd week after injury, you should mind your posture and sleep on a rolled up towel centered on your spine to help roll your shoulder back to keep the bone fracture aligned. By the 3rd week the bone start fusing and is in a 'taffy state'. This fracture tends to make you slump your shoulders forward to reduce the pain.

4) An offset bone will still function okay. Something like 85-90 % percent of non operated fractures heal just fine or good enough.

I think that a more closely aligned bone will allow a range of motion closer to before because the burl that develops might interfere with the mechanics A well aligned bone gets a burl too but has a better chance of smoothing out over time. I'm not there yet so I'll report back later. I'm almost able to hang from gymnastic rings now, it's sorta like a medieval torture. :sweating: :)

Happy New Year Y'all!

Ride safe!

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Rafael, thanks for the post. Simple I'm now half full of plates, screws and titanium rods, I second your words.
    Physical Therapy, while seemingly paid torture, is the key. I'm 95%+ these days because of it (knock wood).

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Rafael, I had a similar experience with broken ribs (4 of them). They were in alignment, but the ER doc said nothing about how to sleep. First night when I tried to get out of bed, loud snap when they went out of alignment. From then on, stayed in a recliner to sleep. Didn't heal in line, but with ribs it doesn't much matter.

4. bigdog1001

bigdog1001 Just got it firing!

Ribs tend to heal pretty well....had 7 busted in late summer 2014 on the track. the clavicle is bit tougher.....mine was just fractured and didn't need surgery but still not 100% 5 months later (I am 53)....probably will need to go back to the ortho. Sleeping sitting up in a recliner or propped up in bed is the ticket early on. I did pick up a Helite airbag vest.......with any luck won't need to find out how well it works.

5. iainw

iainw Cruisin' Guzzisti

Get it screwed!
    This was mine two years ago... and you're right, lots of physio. Don't accept anything less than hard work and pain in aiming to get 100% full movement back.
    busted.jpeg fixed.jpeg

6. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

Agreed - hard work and pain. But, typically, at least in the US, Docs won't screw you back together unless the fracture is like yours, in multiple pieces. My orthopedic doc said that a plated clavicle allows you to get to PT sooner. The meaning of 'Dislocated' becomes clear with your pic.

When I get a little dissatisfied with my progress, I think back on the nights in the recliner. The first time I tried to get out of bed, it took me, what felt like 15 minutes, I had to use my wife to pull my self up. But it wasn't how you'd imagine. It looked like a weird game of Twister, with excessive vocalizations indicating PAIN.

Still using the gymnastics rings. Great tool. make the whole thing easinger. With weight on my feet I'm able to load my arms and stretch by bending my knees. Also do a circular motion, so I look like a slow vertical jump rope.

7. Conteacher

Conteacher Cruisin' Guzzisti

Took a bad fall during Aikido class. Broke clavicle but didn't know it. I didn't find out till a few years later when it showed up on an xray for an unrelated complaint.