• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Frankenbike

studiotanscott

Just got it firing!
Hey there guys! This will be my first post here, or anywhere for that matter re: my Guzzi. Recently acquired a '75 T-3 in which the engine was replaced with a '90 Cal 1000cc. Have no tach or instrument panel (or warning lights) of any kind--getting a leak at rear drive(rear hub is coated). Vibration is fairly severe esp. at low apparent rpm's and smooths out somewhat at higher revs on L&R footboards but is still very uncomfortable. originally thought over-filling the rear drive and tranny was the culpret re: leaks and have roughly synced the carbs for small improvement in vibes. I am completely new at turning wrenches
and could use some guidance--Thanks Scott-- P.S. I own Guzziology and the Haynes Workshop manual

Vibration from the floorboards is usually a sign that the UJ and/or support bearings are on their way out. The UJ 's are rebuildable (if you can find the bearings - they are a strange size) if they haven't gone to far but it is one of those things that is relatively easy if you have a press and do them on a regular basis and a pain if you don't. Cost wise, you are still ahead of buying chains and sprockets even if you have to buy a complete new UJ. Grease splines with moly or similar. The rear seal is easy to replace but inspect the surface that it runs on is not scored. The rear drive and tranny sometimes will leak if not properly vented.

The guzzi is about the easiest modern bike to work on and difficult to screw up so wrench away. The rear drive takes may 20 minutes to remove and an hour to put back on - the gaiter can be a pain to fit.

Once sorted guzzi's go pretty much forever.

Chris R

Chris R said:
Vibration from the floorboards is usually a sign that the UJ and/or support bearings are on their way out. The UJ 's are rebuildable (if you can find the bearings - they are a strange size)

I tried to buy separate crosses&bearings some years back and experienced that the total price was near enough a complete unit, and opted for a total unit for convenience. Funny though how exactly this type of bearings/crosses stuck out like sore thumb in the price list - higher than others..... :?

If the UJ is gone then the support bearing obviously should be replaced as well. In fact the support bearing is so standard&cheap from your local store that I'd say that when the back swingarm is off, you should consider replacing it even if the UJ can stay in there longer (which I doubt judging from the vibrations you notice...)

Dear Chris--Thanks for your help--yes I read that the cross is mysteriously expensive and that it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the support bearing while the swingarm is off. It seems that I recall that the cross could possibly be inverted if not too worn. A lot of my difficulties in doing some of these fixes is the lack of proper tools and the $$'s to buy them. As of this writing, I have not become a member of the Guzzi National Owners club. so I'd guess its about time to do so.
I noticed also that there is a steady leak at the clutch, and wonder if the o'ring at the thrust bearing needs to be replaced--if so -to what lengths must I go to do this--Scott

Does it smell like tranny fluid or engine oil? Tranny related is either the seal around the hub or the pushrod seal - hopefully the later as it is easily rectified without removing much. O rings around the pushrod are the go solution - see Guzziology.
If it is engine oil look at the return line hose and check that the rubber hose hasn't perished and hose clamps are tight.

The guzzi really needs only a handful of tools to take apart and really no specialized tools you can't make yourself - the clutch centering tools and the special socket to remove the crankshaft nut as pretty much it.

Inverting the cross is a waste of time and likely to only get you 10 more miles down the road. I recall that I once obtained the bearings and crosses as part of kit from I think a John Deere lawn tractor - forget the model. It was way cheaper but hard to find. You need an arbor press - not really dear.

MG cycle do them for $80 per cross and 25 for the support bearing, so $180 and the risk of buggering it and an afternoon of faving about or buy a whole kit with support bearing and new gaiter for $240 - make your choice! It is actually not unreasonable when you think on a normal bike that would probably equate to 4 sets of chains and sprockets. My choice would obviously be the new one as when the bearings start to fail it also hammers the rest of the joint.

Have Fun and remember it is a 30+ year old bike - things will need sorting out.

HEY ! That's my old bike !

Sold it a few years ago to a guy in Houston so you might have bought it from him ?

Owned it about 3 years, fun as hell to ride and gets lots of attention.

I know the history, who did the engine swap, and various mods/maintenance I performed during the time I owned her.

Give me a call if you want: 480-969-0532

Greg

Back