• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

from Italy to Czech Republic and beyond [mostly photographs]

Daniel Kalal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
This would be a looping trip north from Italy to the Czech Republic, then east and then south to Croatia before returning.

spending two nights in Como to get aclimated to the timezone shift.
photo100.JPG

photo123.JPG

Pick up the Stelvio NTX at Agostini in Mandello del Lario
photo127.JPG

Switzerland
Bernina Pass and a perfect day for riding.
photo131.JPG

photo132.JPG

Austria
photo143.JPG

photo159.JPG
photo160.JPG

photo174.JPG

photo181.JPG

photo188.JPG

When the Alps end; they end.
photo192.JPG

photo216.JPG
photo215.JPG

Germany
photo220.JPG

photo223.JPG

Czech Republic

photo224.JPG

photo230.JPG
photo231.JPG

photo257.JPG

photo282.JPG

photo305.JPG

photo285.JPG
photo287.JPG

photo304.JPG
photo302.JPG

photo313.JPG
photo307.JPG

photo321.JPG

photo323.JPG
photo324.JPG

Slovakia
photo363.JPG
photo362.JPG

photo365.JPG

photo378.JPG

photo380.JPG
photo381.JPG

photo427.JPG

photo440.JPG

photo445.JPG

photo473.JPG

photo497.JPG
photo495.JPG

photo499.JPG

Poland
photo367.JPG

photo372.JPG

photo373.JPG
photo374.JPG

Hungary
photo514.JPG
photo515.JPG

photo530.JPG
photo531.JPG

photo590.JPG

photo593.JPG

photo597.JPG

photo605.JPG

Croatia
photo608.JPG
photo607.JPG

photo625.JPG

photo635.JPG

photo655.JPG

photo667.JPG

photo687.JPG

Slovenia
photo712.JPG

photo716.JPG

photo718.JPG
photo719.JPG

Italy
photo728.JPG

photo726.JPG
photo727.JPG

photo741.JPG

photo746.JPG

Mandello del Lario
photo767.JPG

photo757.JPG
photo755.JPG

Milan
photo790.JPG

photo791.JPG

Re: from Italy to Czech Republic and beyond [mostly photogra

Daniel
Amazing ....... simply outstanding pics.
:cool:
Cheers

Thanks Daniel for another great trip report, to more countries which I will never get to in this lifetime :D

Bill

Hey Daniel -
Simply fantastic pix, once again!! You really know how to capture the flavor of a place with your combo of natural scenery, roads, city scenes, food - and drink, etc... (That turquoise color of that one lake in Slovenia looks like NZ!!) just awesome. How long were you there? Looks like you did some gravel riding? How did you like the Stelvio?
Thank you for sharing, as always. More inspiration....

I just wanted to say thanks for posting those beautiful pictures! What a dreamy collection of scenery, history, cultural expressiveness and exciting curves. That was a nice break for me this afternoon. Thanks!

-Derek

jamileh said:
Hey Daniel -
How long were you there? Looks like you did some gravel riding? How did you like the Stelvio?

About two weeks.
Some gravel; nothing really challenging; but, about right for a Stelvio.
The new NTX Stelvio is terrific. The larger fuel tank makes all the difference.

If you want to see all the photograph they're here: http://www.dankalal.net/2011trip5/trip.html

Working my way thru the rest of the photos.... just stupendous.
Did you find any actual relatives in Jetetice?
Was the ice cream universally delicious there, or does your camera just make it look like that? (was that a double scoop of choc/mint choc chip? nirvana....)
Totally sold on the one-soft-tail-bag plus tank bag system.
What maps did you use for this trip? Riese, as you mentioned before, or something else?
ok, back to the album.... Thank you.

jamileh said:
Working my way thru the rest of the photos.... just stupendous.
Did you find any actual relatives in Jetetice?
Was the ice cream universally delicious there, or does your camera just make it look like that? (was that a double scoop of choc/mint choc chip? nirvana....)
Totally sold on the one-soft-tail-bag plus tank bag system.
What maps did you use for this trip? Riese, as you mentioned before, or something else?
ok, back to the album.... Thank you.

I've no idea what flavor ice cream I was eating. I generally pointed to what looked good (and it always was).

tank bag? No; I only used the single small duffle-bag.

For maps, I use
Reise for: Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Italy (laminated)
Borch for: Germany, Austria (laminated)
Michelin for Hungary (not laminated)
Freytag & Berndt for Croacia (not laminated)

I wish Reise maps were available for all countries.

photo628.JPG
photo629.JPG

Funny, as I wrote that comment about the tank bag, I started questioning whether I had actually seen one on your bike, but didn't bother to go back and look..... That is really travelling nice and light.
It definitely looked like chocolate and mint choc chip to me (which i think is the most heavenly taste combination ever created); maybe I was just projecting... Haha.
I'm assuming you researched and got the various maps before you arrived in Europe? And without a tank bag, i'm assuming you don't mark them up with hi-liter or scribbling, or otherwise turn them into tattered shreds with various folding configurations by the time you get back home? (of course, laminated maps help to combat that....).

Great trip, Daniel. Can't wait to see your next ride report.....

Daniel Kalal said:
Switzerland
Bermina Pass and a perfect day for riding.
photo131.JPG

Pfaff!

Shouldn't that have been Bernina? :mrgreen:

You've been riding my favourite route! So happy to see the pics!
Ah! - and the Czech knödel and gravy; what memories! :sick: :lol:

I may have a week or so at the end of summer to spend on something like this, excluding Croatia. Will be fun!
Thank you for the pics!

Actually, I thought they'd made progress with their knödeli cuisine! I was there in '86 or so, and I distinctly remember lumps floating in soup-like gravy. Looked worse than it tasted but I presume they knew the way to the jar of flavour enhancer.
(knödel means something like a hand-shaped ball of doughy material - the Asians draw strings from those to make their noodles)

Great beer, though - did you get to sample the real Pilzen, Daniel?

Back