• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Front Brake Caliper Sticking

taz

Just got it firing!
2007 Norge w/ABS when cold little to no front brake lever, lots of travel, after a very short ride (1 mile) brake lever will be hard, no travel and the front brake will lock. I carry a 10mm box wrench with me and can release the caliper by cracking the bleed screw. Since Brembo no longer makes caliper rebuild kits it seems the only option is to replace both calipers. I suspect it is the left lower piston based on heat gun reading, but don't know how to isolate since opening either left or right bleed screw will free the caliper and allow me to ride, sometimes for miles without another issue.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Just coz they don't make kits doesn't mean you can't take apart & clean, regrease square oring & piston and put back together. Bleed the whole system

I had this issue on my Breva a few years ago, almost caused me to come off, I located the problem to the master cylinder, a spring on the brake lever had corroded because the boot had perished and had slipped over to the inside of the master cylinder and was stopping the piston to retract fully. The fix was easy, i found a washer with an internal diameter that allowed the brake lever push rod through and an external diameter that fitted inside the entrance to the master cylinder, the spring then abutted against the washer and problem solved. What happens is its fine when cold but as you use the brakes the fluid gets hot and expands and as the return hole in the master cylinder is covered buy a partially operated brake and pressure builds up untill the wheel can lock, as you found relieving the pressure brings back "normal operation" for a while, I did a post on this a few years ago, you may be able to find it on here.

Just coz they don't make kits doesn't mean you can't take apart & clean, regrease square oring & piston and put back together. Bleed the whole system
I agree, having difficulty determining what o-ring set, searching for specs. I believe it is a 34\30. No info on Brembo site. I did flush entire system with no luck.

I had this issue on my Breva a few years ago, almost caused me to come off, I located the problem to the master cylinder, a spring on the brake lever had corroded because the boot had perished and had slipped over to the inside of the master cylinder and was stopping the piston to retract fully. The fix was easy, i found a washer with an internal diameter that allowed the brake lever push rod through and an external diameter that fitted inside the entrance to the master cylinder, the spring then abutted against the washer and problem solved. What happens is its fine when cold but as you use the brakes the fluid gets hot and expands and as the return hole in the master cylinder is covered buy a partially operated brake and pressure builds up untill the wheel can lock, as you found relieving the pressure brings back "normal operation" for a while, I did a post on this a few years ago, you may be able to find it on here.
Thanks, i’ll check it out.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/locked-front-brake.4723/#post-345

Also, Ebay is full of Brembo rebuild kits, many even labeled Moto Guzzi. I suspect the guy realized there was a big demand and he has a European contact that is sending him supplies to the USA. I think it’s great and a valuable service.

CED7A83A D465 4726 9E1A 3059C60B2CFA

Last edited:

Also, Ebay is full of Brembo rebuild kits, many even labeled Moto Guzzi. I suspect the guy realized there was a big demand and he has a European contact that is sending him supplies to the USA. I think it’s great and a valuable service.

View attachment 23209
Thanks, I did look thru ebay, but again wasn't sure of fit. Think it is safe to assume that MG Breva 1200 uses the same calipers as Norge.

Found Brakemasters out of the UK with an ebay page that appears to carry alot of rebuild seal kits.

https://www.brake-masters.com

Last edited:
I found a kit from Powerhouse Automotive (UK) that was correct. Did a rebuild, pistons were clean, no pits, rust, or scoring, in general pretty clean but there was congealed brake fluid that I flushed out. Put everything back together, bled the brakes and took it for a ride. Front brakes locked up in 1/2 mile, brake lever hard as a rock, cracked the bleed screw and got the calipers to retract. Repeat every mile are so, speed didn't make a difference. I opened the bleeder screw and didn't apply the front brake and was able to get on the freeway for 5 miles and keep pace, but once I hit the offramp and went to apply the brakes, not much, there pump it twice and had brakes, but then they locked up within a mile and I ended up stopped 4 times in 5 miles to open the bleeder screw to get it home. Appears to be be left caliper that isn't able to release. More investigation required.

That’s because it’s not a caliper issue but rather perhaps a master cylinder issue.

One of 2 possible issues.

1. Reservoir is OVERFILLED, therefore not allowing fluid to bleed back from the calipers. Check this first.

2. Check valve in the master cylinder is no longer functioning and is not allowing fluid to return to master cylinder. Master cylinder requires rebuilding. Again, kit not available from Moto Guzzi. Would have to use sources for rebuild parts listed here in the threads.

That’s because it’s not a caliper issue but rather perhaps a master cylinder issue.

One of 2 possible issues.

1. Reservoir is OVERFILLED, therefore not allowing fluid to bleed back from the calipers. Check this first.

2. Check valve in the master cylinder is no longer functioning and is not allowing fluid to return to master cylinder. Master cylinder requires rebuilding. Again, kit not available from Moto Guzzi. Would have to use sources for rebuild parts listed here in the threads.
Thanks, I will be opening up master cylinder next. Any impact that ABS module could be culprit?

Thanks, I will be opening up master cylinder next. Any impact that ABS module could be culprit?

Although not 100% positive, I don't believe so. I've never seen an ABS module do that ever nor have I ever heard of one that did.

I'm fairly certain that it is one of the 2 conditions I shared with you.

Usually, the first one, over-filled reservoir is the main culprit. I see this frequently with people who change out their own pads, using a screwdriver or such to push back the pads and not realizing that there is fluid involved in that process, and that the fluid must have a place to go!

BMW's ABS modules corrode and fail.

I do not have ABS on my Breva, but is there a fuse for the ABS module you can pull to stop it operating?

BMW's ABS modules corrode and fail.

I do not have ABS on my Breva, but is there a fuse for the ABS module you can pull to stop it operating?
There is a button to deactivate it, I guess my larger question is does the ABS module require a different method of bleeding the brakes?

View attachment 23209
AS mentioned, it was the front brake master cylinder. I ended up getting another one thru a salvage part out via e-bay. Working as it should. Thanks for all the input.

Back