• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Front brake issue on my '98 EV1100

Hello.

Bleeding is allowing fluid out of the caliper under pressure, to remove trapped air bubbles.

Flushing is the complete exchange of old fluid to new fluid.

When flushing, I remove the MAJORITY of fluid from the master cylinder with a syringe. I then refill to top and again remove the majority of the diluted fluid again with the syringe.

I then refill again, and then proceed to flush out the brakes by applying lever pressure, and opening the bleed screw at the caliper. (Having a 2nd person helps immensely here).

I will flush out 2 master cylinders full of fluid to ensure clean fresh fluid throughout the brake lines. As I stated, I use a rather long piece of clear hose attached to the bleed nipple so I can visually see both fluid condition and air bubbles.

Good afternoon guys,
Sorry for delay in updating you. We (my family & relatives) have had a lot going on. I won't go into any details but medical emergencies, hospitalization) But I am back home now.
I also just made a donation and I will be making another when I get next paycheck.
I wanted to tell you what happened with my brake work. Before all the stuff happened, I got all my tools, LED flashlight, new brake fluid, etc. went to storage bldg.
Had my notes, cell phone with screen shots.
I followed instructions, got everything done (I think)
When I got through, made sure the master cylinder was topped off, I cranked the bike, tried the front brake - and nothing, lever went all the way to the grip.
So I either made a mistake or there's more of a problem than what I thought.
I wanted to let all of you know this update.
Thank you guys for your help. So I'm back to the drawing board "so to speak."
This weekend I plan on getting back up there Sat morning to re-evaluate.
Will update you shortly after.
Thank you,

Bill Mitchell

If you have bleed the front brake and still no lever pressure, place the bike on the side stand. Turn the handlebar full lock left. Tie the brake lever in ( I use a small bungee cord) and leave it overnight. Doesn't always work, but usually does.

Hi John,
Wow. I will try that Sat morning (No Fri night - I turn handle bar, side stand and I have a small bungee to tie the brake lever in.
Now that you mention this I remember someone saying something about tying the brake lever to the grip.
I appreciate your reaching out on this. It has been kind of frustrating.
I guess it does seem odd that I've never had to bleed the brakes on numerous cars I've owned and all the bikes.
Maybe I've been lucky? I will try this and report back.
I can tell you back at the beginning, not having ridden the bike all winter, cranked it up in the garage, sat there for a minute, then started backing it out. As you roll out of the garage there is a fairly steep, short drop off to the asphalt drive. So I'm backing it out, slowly, then I rolled off, grabbed the front brake lever and nothing! Now I'm rolling pretty fast, with the floor boards, a little difficult to lift your foot up to get over the floor board while trying to balance the bike with my left foot.
One of our kids was in the garage, I yelled at him to help me stock the bike without dropping it and he got there just in time and I managed to get it stopped and on the side stand.
1998 MG EV1100 is one heavy motorcycle. I had to ride up to the storage building about 5 miles away.
I got it up there but you kind of find yourself really missing that front brake!
I'll be in touch and Thank you!

Bill Mitchell

Back