RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Front wheel scrubbing?

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Chadlebowski, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Chadlebowski

Chadlebowski Cruisin' Guzzisti

My 09 Stelvio with 35k miles has developed an intermittent noise, coming from the front wheel at slow speeds. It is not always there - I notice it more often when slowing after a stint at high speeds. It sounds like a tyre rubbing against something, but doesn't seem directly related to speed. And it is felt through the handle bars. Otherwise the bike handles fine, brakes are fine, and no wobble in the bearings.
    Anyone else encountered something similar.

2. lodola

lodola Just got it firing!

My 2015 NTX made a howling sound with Mich. Anakee 3, but Conti Trail Attack is quite. Sound only occured at certain speeds . 50 mph,

3. Chadlebowski

I don't think it is caused by the rubber. The noise is very random, sometime it sounds like a rub, sometimes a squeal, sometimes a hiss. Also, the feel through the handlebars seems more like a throttle\gearing issue than a wheel\bearing one

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

If you can feel it at the handle bars that isn't good. Remove the front wheel and check the wheel bearings just to be on the safe side. Bearings can last for thousands of miles, or not. There is no predicting failure on them.

Didier and Trout like this.
  5. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'd look at the brakes.

6. Chadlebowski

It's the bearings! I'm lucky they didn't fail at high speed.
    Any top tips\things to bear in mind when replacing? I've never had the front wheel off, but will have a go...

7. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yeah!
    1. Buy good quality bearings - eg Fag, SKF. DON'T waste your money All-Balls
    2. Buy bearings which are sealed BOTH sides.

Chadlebowski likes this.
  8. john zibell

Chadlebowski likes this.
  9. Chadlebowski

10. Chadlebowski

Got the wheel off and inspected the bearings - the retainer on one was completely shagged, and filled with all kinds of crud! Also, the nut holding the axle was not much over finger-tight.

i now have a general question on the degradation of unleaded petrol - the bike has sat with a half-full tank for almost three months. Could running this affect the engine?

11. john zibell

It will be fine running that old gas. Hopefully it will not have much condensation at only half full. The ethanol in the fuel will help to run out any water. It may not have peak performance, but once you run it out and add fresh fuel it will be fine. Next time park with a full tank of fuel.

Chadlebowski likes this.
  12. Chadlebowski

Anyone have any thoughts on placing new bearings in the freezer for easier assembly?
    Also - when reassembling the front wheel, what needs greasing. I haven't cleaned the axel; is it worth cleaning and reapplying grease?
    Everything else is clean and corrosion free. Any other tips\advice greatly appreciated!

13. john zibell

Yes to having the bearings in the freezer. Most of the time they will just drop in. I also use an electric heat gun to heat up where I will place the bearing. Once dropped in a couple taps with the correct driver to make sure they are all the way in. Also do clean the axle and apply new grease. I like to use a good synthetic grease as it doesn't harden over time.

Chadlebowski likes this.
  14. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I use a socket of the appropriate size so you are driving the outside of the bearing only. Before fitting the bearing try the largest socket you can just fit into the space, otherwise measure both.

15. john zibell

If you use a socket, use it backwards. That is with the flat end toward the bearing.

16. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Can't agree, John. This will mean that you would be driving the bearing into position by effectively hammering on the center part of the bearing.

I would be concerned with possible damage to the bearing doing it this way. Or have I misunderstood?

17. john zibell

The face of sockets have a rolled edge. This makes it difficult to drive using the open end of the socket. There is movement of the center piece as there is clearance between the balls and inner and out races of the bearing. If you look at a ball bearing, the inner and outer are the same width. So the center will deflect, but not enough to cause any damage. As you know, the spacer in the front wheel is shorter than the distance between the faces of where the bearing rides. When you tighten the axle, it moves the centers of the bearings closer together. This is to load the bearing so it runs true.

18. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

We will agree to disagree.

19. Chadlebowski

In the end, I used an impact socket with chilled bearings, they sailed right in. Job done.
    A week ago, I was caught on farm roads in the driving rain, lost control of the bike, and it went over. It was all very slow and at low speed, no injuries (apart from confidence).
    The next time I used the bike, left turns felt wobbly - really not good.
    So I inspected the forks, the brakes, checked for play across the axle - nothing apparent.
    Then I took the front wheel off, to inspect the bearings. In removing the dust seal, I caught the bearing seal too, so will replace again (practice makes perfect).

How do you guys remove the dust seal without marring the bearings. I used a flat head screwdriver, but the seals are in so tight that the act of levering bent the bearing cover too.

Also, regarding the handling, anything else I should check?