• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Front wheel spacer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ediehl

Tuned and Synch'ed
I’ve changed tires on my 2013 Stelvio NTX before, and I don’t recall having any issues. This time, however, I got it all back together, and the front wheel was bound, not turning. I loosened the axle pinch bolts and the axle nut, and it would turn fine. For this description, I’m going to call the ‘left’ side of the wheel being where my left hand would rest on the handlebars while mounted.

Looking at the 2nd pic below, the service manual advises to collect the spacer from the right side when removing the front wheel. That kinda contradicts the 1st pic from the parts catalog, which shows a spacer (#17) on the left side (by my definition of left), and no spacer at all on the other (ABS) side.

I’m confused. To begin with, I don’t believe I have a spacer on either side, and that doesn’t seem right. I wasn’t aware of any part falling out and rolling away, and I’ve searched the garage and the driveway pretty carefully. But, for whatever reason, I suspect I’m somehow missing the spacer (#17) on the left side. So, there is no spacer on the right (ABS) side?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 16
There is a spacer on the left (sitting on bike) right if you look at it from front. Its probably still in your dust seal or your dog stole it!!

I've found other posts that say the MG parts diagram (above) is wrong and that the spacer should be shown on the right (when sitting on bike). That sounds right to me, because the shoulder of the axle functions as a spacer on the left, whereas without a spacer on the right, there would be nothing to prevent the wheel from being pulled toward and bound against the right fork tube

There is a spacer on the left (sitting on bike) right if you look at it from front. Its probably still in your dust seal or your dog stole it!!
Sorry I was bass ackwards spacer is on right side by the nut … sorry

Ok folks.

By convention…

Left and Right are ALWAYS designated to be as if you are mounted on the motorcycle, facing forward.

This never changes.

It’s 20 degrees outside at the moment and still dark. When the sun comes up and I go out to my workshop, I will take pictures of both side of the front wheel on my Stelvio so you can see.

You have put your wheel together incorrectly. Period.

Easy fix.

Many riders that change their own tires OFTEN FORGET to 'box' the front forks so they are in parallel.
That means before all is tightened, you go down(as far as possible) with forks a few times, then tighten attaching hardware. I sit on floor in front of tire w/legs on ea side & pull down on bottom triple tree. Then snug it all.

Ok folks.

By convention…

Left and Right are ALWAYS designated to be as if you are mounted on the motorcycle, facing forward.

This never changes.

It’s 20 degrees outside at the moment and still dark. When the sun comes up and I go out to my workshop, I will take pictures of both side of the front wheel on my Stelvio so you can see.

You have put your wheel together incorrectly. Period.

Easy fix.
Makes sense, but you have to know that for a fact for it to be useful. MG shows the spacer on the left side in their parts diagram---doesn't instill great confidence in their command of left and right.

If you changed your own tire, then you dropped the spacer someplace. If you took your wheel to someplace, they dropped it or set it someplace.

Without it, fitting the wheel properly, is absolutely impossible.

Makes sense, but you have to know that for a fact for it to be useful. MG shows the spacer on the left side in their parts diagram---doesn't instill great confidence in their command of left and right.

It is a fact. Industry convention for motorcycles, cars, planes.

The parts diagrams of any make of motorcycle, ARE NEVER to be relied upon as a definitive source. The drawings often times are modified to show individual components and there are design changes at production. Moto Guzzi knows how to build motorcycles and they of course know right from left.

In today’s world, there is no excuse whatsoever for not taking several digital photos of everything you intend to take apart so that when it comes time to put it back together, you get it done correctly.

By the way, “You’re Welcome” for the photos.

It is a fact. Industry convention for motorcycles, cars, planes.

The parts diagrams of any make of motorcycle, ARE NEVER to be relied upon as a definitive source. The drawings often times are modified to show individual components and there are design changes at production.

In today’s world, there is no excuse whatsoever for not taking several digital photos of everything you intend to take apart so that when it comes time to put it back together, you get it done correctly.

By the way, “You’re Welcome” for the photos.
Yeah, I guess I messed up when I changed the tires previously. It had a newly installed set of tires when I bought it, and my theory is that that shop left it off when they put it together. But that still leaves me at fault for not realizing it was missing when I installed another set of tires a few years ago. And thanks for the pics, that verifies what I'd already figured out.

When I'm describing which side of a car or bike I'm talking about, I do like the British do and use "Near side" and "Off side".

Those terms haven't changed since English became a language. Derived from folks driving an ox cart, walking beside the oxen.

All of my Brit bike and car manuals use those terms.

Lannis

But surely "Near Side" and "Off Side" will change depending on whether you drive on the Right Hand side of the road (incorrect) or Left Hand side of the road (obviously the correct one :) )

But surely "Near Side" and "Off Side" will change depending on whether you drive on the Right Hand side of the road (incorrect) or Left Hand side of the road ,,,,,
I can feel the looming approach of the moderator's editorial snippers from here, and thus will "Exit, Stage Right" ..... !

Yes, this has went far enough. ;)
Locked and will be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back