• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel Filter problems?

Gwilliam

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hi,
I recently serviced my 2001 California Stone which included replacing the UFI 3150400 fuel filter.
I was unable to source the same brand so ordered a listed equivalent Bosch F5021.
After removing the UFI filter and installing the screw in pipe connections into the Bosch unit I found that it was a slightly smaller diameter. I therefore used a small slice of rubber as packing in the retaining clamp and fitted the filter to the bike.
Following the reinstallation of the fuel tank etc I turned on the ignition three or four times to fill the new filter and prime the system. This was accompanied by various squeaks, squeals and whirring fuel pump noises.
I then started the engine.
I was surprised at the volume of the fuel pump. I am usually aware of it only when first turning on the ignition. To be able to hear it even with the engine running through my Lanfranconi Riservato Competitzioni mufflers made me wonder if I was about to experience a fuel pump failure. I have now ridden sixty miles with no ill effects but the pump is still noisier than it was before changing the filter.
I did a search through an english Moto Guzzi forum and found an old post from somebody who had experienced the same problem after replacing their UFI fuel filter with an un-named german alternative, of slightly smaller diameter. After a few suggestions from other members he claimed that he had found it to be caused by a sticky fuel tap!
I think that the only way that a fuel tap could be responsible would be by restricting the flow to the pump, so that it was cavitating and/or pumping air. I have run my bike at full throttle and there is no evidence of fuel starvation. Rapping the body of the fuel tap with a spanner makes no difference to the pump noise.
Before I go to the trouble of refitting the original filter and doing a flow test through the fuel tap, I wondered if anybody was aware of a problem of this nature if an incorrect fuel filter is used.
Thank you.

Last edited:
If you have the electric fuel tap, replace it with one for the California III. The part number is 01105460. Those electric taps can cause trouble. Now I have used the fuel filter for the Saab 99 Turbo on several bikes. That filter is a smaller diameter and didn't cause any difference in pump operation.

Thanks for the advice John.
I have now sourced the correct UFI filter but will use it next time unless I experience any actual problems in the short term with the Bosch unit.
I will pick up the 01105460, which I assume is a direct replacement, manual fuel tap. Presumably, leaving the feed plug for the original tap disconnected has no feedback implications for the ECU operation?

As you said just leave the plug disconnected. The ECU will not be effected. Power to the tap is not controlled by the ECU.

there is a screen in the tap. clean it out. then make sure when you turn the key on you hear it click open. if it's fuse is blown or you hooked up the basically identical wires wrong it won't open but the bike will still run putting a massive strain on the pump.

That is a possibility. Be sure the cable with the red marker is attached to the tap. If the cables were swapped the low fuel light would be on even with a full tank.

Yes, I have often looked at the similarity between the two plugs and sockets of the fuel tap and the low fuel warning light.
I have just checked and the fuel tap has the red marker on both sides of the plug and socket so all good there.
I then turned on the ignition several times: as I turn the key I get an immediate click or clonk from the tank followed about a second later by the pump starting for a few seconds.
All appears correct.
The pump doesn't sound any louder than it used to when it starts up to prime the system. I just don't remember it being so noticeable when the bike is running but it could just be me! My neighbour has an EV so I will tie my shoelaces next to it when he leaves it running to close his gates!
Thanks for all the help and suggestions gentlemen.

Back