Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum, by FACT NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - it should be common sense, but sadly needs to be stated; BE COURTEOUS! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Fuel range & pump possible issue - 2007 Norge

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by mylovelyhorse, Aug 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mylovelyhorse

mylovelyhorse Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

While I was on my French trip - in fact on the very 1st day - I had a fuel incident that has stayed in my mind ever since. Two actually, but I think they're linked. Sorry if this is slightly long winded.

• I had done about 160 miles and was on some mountain roads, heading nose-down into a hairpin bend. The engine just cut dead for approx 0.5 seconds, right in the middle of the turn of the hairpin. That 0.5 seconds seemed a lot longer! As the bike pointed up out of the hairpin it fired up again. I assumed that the bike (showing between 1/4 & 1/3 on the gauge) had had an interruption to supply due to the tank being low.
    • At 199 miles the bike coughed and died, with 1/4 still showing on the gauge. I assumed (again) the gauge was being inaccurate and the tank was nigh on empty. The bike started again after a moment or three and I went directly to a petrol station just down the road and put 19.06 litres (5.04 US gallons) in.

For the rest of the trip (another 2,000 miles or so) I noticed the bike briefly coughing at around the 165 - 175 mile mark. I made sure I filled up as soon as possible thereafter as I made the not unnatural assumption that the 'cough' was the fuel supply switching to a 'reserve' feed. Across the trip the bike did a very nice 47 mpg.

A number of Norge owners I've discussed this with have noted that the range should be more like 220 miles to empty. I am left wondering if my fuel pickup in the tank is in the wrong place somehow or if there's something else wrong with either gauge, pump, both or something else.

Could anyone share their knowledge with me on how to diagnose & possibly fix things?

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

It's not the pick-up, that's at the bottom of pump. Most likely the gauge, spiral thing in a tube or a sensor on the pump assy. Carry a LT of fuel w/you in a container. OR you could mount a fuel cell & pump on the luggage rack.

3. mylovelyhorse

mylovelyhorse Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Oh well, theory #1 out the door :)

I shall do that - and run it until it dies. Once I have it all back together :)

4. M0T0Geezer

M0T0Geezer Cruisin' Guzzisti

Half a dozen times with my '07 Norge, I have gone 220 miles on a "full" tank (how ever much that is). Engine never sputters and it takes about 4.5 US gallons to refill it. I'll count myself lucky!

As a precaution I am having the Dealer replace the fuel pump with the all metal kind and because it the bike 45,000 miles on it and I know neither the type of filter or if the P.O. ever had it replaced.

Just a note: I have noticed that my fuel guage will go up/down 1/8 tank depending on the grade of the road.