• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel tank breather/EVAP system

Hydrolastic

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Does anyone have photos of a 2003+ fuel tank breather setup the rest of the world (outside USA/CAN)? The setup I have now seems like it would set up a siphon effect in some circumstances. Also, regarding the EVAP system, is it the rollover valve that tends to fail and prevents proper venting, or something within the canister that plugs up?

Dave

Dave, the best thing to do with the tip over valve is to just remove it and throw it in the trash. A search of the forum will show it to you. Also removing all the evap stuff wouldn't hurt.

John - it has all been removed, but since there is a different part number for US and ROW tanks, I wanted to see what the setup was for non-US systems. My older motorcycles all had vented gas caps, similar to many cars prior to 1970, but the gas cap is the same part number for all markets in this case. The last time I filled up, I had gas dripping onto the left side exhaust, which is undesirable, so I want to make sure it is set up to prevent any sort of siphon effect on the side stand.

Additionally, I was curious as to what part of the system fails and causes issues. Automotive evap systems have been around now for 40 years with hardly any problems. The only failures I have seen have been either crushed or plugged lines to the tank (rusted fittings, etc.), or liquid somehow getting into the charcoal bed through misrouted lines or something like that. I'm inclined to think the rollover valve is the culprit, but I wanted to see if anyone had been into a few of these failures a little further.

Dave

The tip over valve is the culprit. It becomes blocked and doesn't allow air into the tank. Just run a hose long enough to prevent any dripping onto the bike. I've run with just a short stub of a hose on tank vent attachment point with no issues an all my Tonti bikes. If you filled the tank then put it on the side stand, then I can see where it might drip but I've never done that. I've always placed on center stand for a fill and after filling if i didn't immediately ride some distance.

That makes sense, too bad after all this time that no one felt the need to fix the problem and Guzzi just keeps re-using defective engineering. Yep, I would put mine on the center stand if I had one. Guzzi decided the Titanium should have that as optional vs. standard. I have a kit hopefully arriving soon.

That makes sense, too bad after all this time that no one felt the need to fix the problem and Guzzi just keeps re-using defective engineering. Yep, I would put mine on the center stand if I had one. Guzzi decided the Titanium should have that as optional vs. standard. I have a kit hopefully arriving soon.

Kind of like they did with the Jackal. Just something to save production cost, then they can sell the kit. Good to hear you have the center stand kit coming. They have become scarce.

Back