• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel tank leak

James A

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
The bike is a 2003 California. I started to smell gasoline in my garage when I opened the door. After several tests and observations I am convinced that fuel is weeping from around the fuel outlet stub. What would be the best repair? Tig weld,? gas braze,? jbweld steel stick or 8217? I believe that I am the third owner. There is also evidence to suggest that a jbweld product may have been employed in the past. Has any other owner experienced this and what was your solution?

Attachments

• 20211030_132032.jpg
    20211030_132032.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14
Your best bet may be to find another tank. The difficulty of getting all the gas fumes out of the tank make welding or brazing tricky. I would not recommend JB weld of any type for this. If you do decide to make a repair, I'd recommend treating the inside of the tank with an ethanol resistant liner after the repair to prevent the repaird area from rusting. Something like the Caswell product would be good.

Thank you for your reply. I am still inclined to have a weld repair done. I am an Airmarshal In the Airheads club and I am not the sort of owner to pass along a problem without full disclosure. I want this issue to be solved without regard to my cost because I can not stand the idea of any buyer not knowing the full history of any bike that I may want to sell. I bought this bike with the notion that it might be my "forever" bike. It is outfitted with a Motorvation sidecar.

I am confident that I can find a custom weld shop to handle this.

I know many people don't think much of JB Weld, but I had to use it on my Quota recently, due to the tank being made out of plastic or fiberglass ( i'm not exactly sure) but not steel anyway. I would have replaced the tank if I could find one, but they are unobtainium it seems. JB Weld is impervious to fuel, so it works on tank repairs and there is a JB Weld fuel tank repair kit at Autozone stores and it comes with a piece of fiberglass that helps reinforce the leaking area. So far mine is holding the fuel without leaking and it's been 3 weeks.

Sometimes, your only option available is modern chemistry. I think JB Weld makes several high quality specialty products including the specific fuel tank weld product.

JB Weld (when properly applied) is strong enough for these types of repairs. FWIW, the clear JB Weld does not seem to be as strong as the original black and white (turns gray when mixed) formula. My brother and I sealed a cracked cylinder head (external water jacket leak) on an old farm tractor many years ago (used original formula JB Weld). The repair was still holding cooling system pressure without leaks when my Dad sold the tractor at least 20 years after the repair.

Thanks for the replies. As shown in the posted photo, it appears that some kind of epoxy filler has already been applied to the outlet stub, and failed. The "build up" was flaking off and wet with gasoline underneath. I would really prefer to not have to have a weld repair due to the fact of the chance of the paint being blistered. To find a suitable replacement fuel tank and have it paint matched would easily cost more than a thousand dollars. I would like to avoid that option.

Thanks for the replies. As shown in the posted photo, it appears that some kind of epoxy filler has already been applied to the outlet stub, and failed. The "build up" was flaking off and wet with gasoline underneath. I would really prefer to not have to have a weld repair due to the fact of the chance of the paint being blistered. To find a suitable replacement fuel tank and have it paint matched would easily cost more than a thousand dollars. I would like to avoid that option.

If you are going the JB weld route, the key is to get to clean metal. So some paint will be destroyed. The key is thourough prep of the area. The previous repair probably failed due to poor preparation.

HENKEL LOCTITE EA 934NA AERO EPOXY ADHESIVE 50 G E-Z PAK​

Depending on colors, Cali tanks(new!) can be had at older dealers or from ones that buy old stock from closing dealers. They are relatively cheap. $3-600.00. I don't think Todd here has any but remember Hamlin in CT bought a bunch of NOS Cali tanks. I remember our shop got a notice they were blowing them out of warehouse.

I have used Permatex tank and radiator repair that is ethanol resistant 12 years ago. Still holding well

Depending on colors, Cali tanks(new!) can be had at older dealers or from ones that buy old stock from closing dealers. They are relatively cheap. $3-600.00. I don't think Todd here has any but remember Hamlin in CT bought a bunch of NOS Cali tanks. I remember our shop got a notice they were blowing them out of warehouse.
Mark @ Moto Guzzi Classics (562)986-0070 has used tanks, not sure if he has one the color you need though. You might also check with Harper's Moto Guzzi.

Many thanks for the advice and insights offered here. I decided to take the fuel tank to the top weld shop in my area. I will post the results of this exercise when it turns out to completion. Suffice to say that the fuel tank had been repaired before I became the owner, and, as it turned out, the repair was the kind of effort to push the bike down the road to someone like me. When I am done with this, it will be the kind of thing that I can live with, and the next owner will be given the full disclosure of what has been done. I might pursue a NOS tank if I can justify the expense.

Stay tuned for the "rest of the story".

It's been a while since I posted a follow up on this topic. Here is a picture of the repair after I retrieved it from the weld shop. (Bessler Welding, East Peoria IL.) The process used is silver solder, which the weld shop said was the same as the original process from the factory. The shop soaked the tank in what they called a steam bath, and used a wire brush on a die grinder to remove all of the previous repair. Then they put low air pressure to the inside of the tank to identify the 2 cracks that were found just inboard of the outlet stubs. 20211229 101005

It appears that you found a competent repair shop!

Congratulations.

Hopefully, the repair is solid and will last fir many years! 😁

Back