• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fueling up

VictorScot

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
This is that super low mile 2009 I just purchased. It's running well and I/we really like it. But,...
It has the most challenging gas cap arrangement I've ever used. Filling the tank, which is fairly frequent, invariably results in gasoline burping out onto the plastics and it's just hard for me to get the nozzle in there to begin with.
What are some aftermarket fuel cap options? Locking cap not necessary. Anything else I'm missing here?
Thank you,
Scot

IMG 3091 IMG 3102

Since you are in California you are having to deal with those awful bellows equiped fuel nozzles. Get a clip to hold the bellows back, there are commercial ones available. I use a hinge pin that I stretched to fit over the nozzle above the ring to hold the bellows back. This makes fueling better but not perfect.
kk
IMG 20240205 091716

Since you are in California you are having to deal with those awful bellows equiped fuel nozzles. Get a clip to hold the bellows back, there are commercial ones available. I use a hinge pin that I stretched to fit over the nozzle above the ring to hold the bellows back. This makes fueling better but not perfect.
kk
View attachment 34402
Cool idea. Thank you!

Same as all the others noted here. While seated, aim the nozzle in and straight back under the seat. I use the flip cap to collapse the recovery boot. Works well since 2009.

We too in Seattle have the bellows-equipped vapor recovery pump nozzles. I have the same style filler cap on my Norge, and I've found it easiest to just insert the pump nozzle fully into the tank, and rest the bellows on the filler cap edges. Keep an eye on the gallons pumped while it's running until it gets close to where you think it should be full by incase the self-stopping system fails (had it happen once or twice in the past few years, but rare) and the pump should stop right below completely full. I've found that I too would spill some fuel trying to top off to get that last couple squirts of gasoline, so I no longer do that on this bike. Worth not spilling to only get say 95% full on the tank in my experience.

I usually keep a few gas jugs around the garage to top off or fill up some incase I need fuel before heading to work, or when I just don't want to grab gas out and about, and I need to use a specific funnel to be able to pour gasoline into the tank without spilling, but only on my Norge. Might consider carrying around either a collapsible or disposable funnel incase I ever need road-side emergency fuel filling.

-Mike

We too in Seattle have the bellows-equipped vapor recovery pump nozzles. I have the same style filler cap on my Norge, and I've found it easiest to just insert the pump nozzle fully into the tank, and rest the bellows on the filler cap edges. Keep an eye on the gallons pumped while it's running until it gets close to where you think it should be full by incase the self-stopping system fails (had it happen once or twice in the past few years, but rare) and the pump should stop right below completely full. I've found that I too would spill some fuel trying to top off to get that last couple squirts of gasoline, so I no longer do that on this bike. Worth not spilling to only get say 95% full on the tank in my experience.

I usually keep a few gas jugs around the garage to top off or fill up some incase I need fuel before heading to work, or when I just don't want to grab gas out and about, and I need to use a specific funnel to be able to pour gasoline into the tank without spilling, but only on my Norge. Might consider carrying around either a collapsible or disposable funnel incase I ever need road-side emergency fuel filling.

-Mike
Thanks, Mike. I have been trying to fill the tank completely. I'll have to be less greedy on squeezing in that last bit.

With the V100 the tank has a high area under the filler. The nozzle can't be pushed straight into the tank that is why I use the clip. The nozzle has to be pointed towards the rear of the tank or held just a little ways into the tank. A real pain in the butt but a small price to pay for such a great bike.
kk

It may not make a big difference but I notice your fuel cover has the hinge towards the back of the bike wheras my '09 has the hinge towards the front, perhaps making it easier to insert the gas pump. It wouldn't be difficult to remove the screws and turn it around. May be worth a try.

Back