Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Funnels for motor, gearbox, and carc oil changes ?

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by ett, Jul 5, 2013.

1. ett

ett Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

What funnels is everyone using to change the oils on their Grisos ?

I have not found any funnel suitable for filling the CARC.
    I'm slowly filling the CARC by dribbling in the oil in via a measuring beaker.
    VERY time consuming and messy if a breeze is in the air.

For the gearbox I've been using a Wirthco Flexible Spout as a funnel.
    It doesn't really flex so much as it folds. Rendering it nearly useless:
    [​IMG]

For the motor I've been using a Rhino Gear Super Funnel:
    [​IMG]
    But due to angle of having to clear the cylinder. I have to bend the funnel.
    Causing it to crack near it's end and drips oils along the outside of the motor.

For the CARC; I haven't been able to find a funnel narrow enough to fit inside the CARC's oil fill hole.
    For the gearbox; I would like a funnel that forms a 90 degree angle.
    For the motor; I would like something like the Super Funnel that is flexible WITHOUT having an accordion style spout.
    And everything I've found (at least in stores near me) either has an accordion style spout or it's spout is too wide.
    I considered simply attaching a hose (fuel ?) to the spout of a funnel.
    But to avoid messy slip ups; I'd really like to be able to rest the funnel into the fill holes.

Anyone have some suggestions ?

Thanks;
    --ET

2. kmac33

kmac33 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

3. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference

I've been using the Rhino for 30 years - still have the same one. Didn't even know it had a name...
    I use a similar one but smaller for the B11 gear box with the bike on the sidestand. And found a super narrow mini funnel for the carc.

4. Phang

Phang Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I use plastic oiler bottle to fill the transmission and final drive.

[​IMG]

If you couldn't get this, I reckon a ketchup bottle work as good.

For engine oil, I have this dispenser with a flexible spout, work like a charm!

[​IMG]

5. pete roper

pete roper GT Godfather!

Buy your oil in 20 litre drums and buy two drum pumps. initial expense is higher but overall costs are much lower and filling is a breeze.

Really though? You're finding it difficult to find a funnel? Most 'Wottalottacrap Auto' type places have them in a huge range of shapes and sizes.

Pete

6. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

7. ett

ett Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Every auto parts store or Wallyworld I visited; for a total of nearly one dozen stores.
    Only had plastic flexible funnels with accordion style spouts.
    I've found those plastic accordion style spouts usually crack and begin leaking after just a few uses.
    And none of those stores had funnels with spouts small enough to fit into the CARC fill hole.

I never even thought about Harbor Freight.
    I assumed they would have the same funnels as Wallyworld and all the auto part stores.
    But to my surprise; they had exactly what I've been looking for.
    The old school flexible metal funnels and funnels small enough to fit the CARC.

Thanks everyone !

8. Harry in OZ

Harry in OZ Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi ett
    It's only called commuting if you are using four wheels; if you're using two wheels it's called riding.

Love that saying & how true.
    And if it's on a Griso it's all the better.

Harry

9. ghezzi

ghezzi High Miler GT Contributor

I find it amazing that a smack freak can be intuitive enough to improvise by rolling a $10 note to use as a straw.

Whatever happened to the saying, "Moto Guzzi, making mechanics out of riders since 1921"?

Cut the arse out of a small coke bottle. The plastic ones dopey, not glass!

I've used a horse syringe from a vet, very accurate too.

Hell, when I was young I even used peanut butter to seal around the garden hose because the hole in the OJ bottle was too big, but I ain't admittin' to nuttin'. OK? :whistle:

10. moto

moto Tuned and Synch'ed

I just changed over from using funnels, so I'll comment on what I prefer. It's a 60ml syringe sold for adding oil to the gas for two-stroke motors. Instead of using its gradations to measure the oil, though, I marked a pickle jar with two lines -- one for 380ml and one for 500ml -- and use it for the bevel drive and the transmission. The jar's mouth is wide enough to easily stick the syringe in to get all the oil. This is much faster than letting thick oil drain through a funnel.

And of course it's cheap.

11. commando tod

commando tod Cruisin' Guzzisti

So I`m not the only one who`s thinking "For F**S Sake. Stop thinking you`ve got a problem, and just use whatever you can get your hands on, improvise" :lol: .

12. Pascal

Pascal Cruisin' Guzzisti

This thread is so hi-tech, it ain't funny. :laugh:

13. SgtCrump

SgtCrump Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia