• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuse blows out repeatedly - Griso 8v

NickSzasz

Tuned and Synch'ed
Have a 2008 8v. About a year ago I went to start the bike and it wouldn't. The dash went through its normal routine - nothing unusual - but after pressing the starter I'd just here a "click" sound. Turned out a #15 fuse had blown, the 2nd from the top (top being towards the gas tank). Fast forward to a month ago and this problem has resurfaced 3 times now. Starts up fine after replacing and seems to last a for several rides even with lots of time in between. My dealer did take a look - but said he couldn't find the cause (yet).

The only non-standard item on the bike is a Garmin 550 - but that's been on for 2 years. And in the last fuse failure, the Garmin wasn't on the bike at all.

Has anyone else had this fuse go out on them?

Any ideas on how to trace the cause?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Could be corrosion on some contacts. Clean every one you can find to include the battery ground at the engine. Also performing the starter relay fix (providing power direct from the battery to the relay, search the board) will help.

What way is the Garmin wired in? As wiring has been added by someone, the obvious question is, could there be a stray piece of wire or a bare or loose connection causing a short?

I'd need to look to see what that fuse is for. What circuit does it protect, have you checked?

Had the same Problem with my 2008 8v, it turned out to be down to a simple problem of a loose negative terminal on the battery.

Thanks for all the replies.

Will have my dealer do another check with these points in mind.

Un-realted, but I just downloaded the 8v service station manual from this site. Way too much for non-wrenching type like me, but very interesting nonetheless. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. The multilingual book that came with the bike is not near as much fun.

Nick

My 2009 Griso 8V blew the Fuse 2 (15A) for the very first time today.

The bike started fine after the fuse replacement, I also took the opportunity to clean and Vaseline-coat the starter solenoid spade connector and the grounding point of starter-chasis-battery negative terminal behind the starter cover.

What else can I do next? Carry a bag of 15A fuses with me whenever I ride the Griso? :lol:

Phang

Updates!

My G8V blew the Fuse 2 (15A) for the second time today after 700km from the last fuse replacement. The replacement fuse I put in a month ago only last about 15 starts.

Same as the previous incident, the engine started right away after the fuse replacement.

I just bought a bag of 15A fuses, will monitor closely to see if I can link anything leading to the fuse blowing start up.

Phang

Normaly a fuse blows when subjected to high current. Is there a loose contact of some sort? I haven't come across this problem with my 8v before but would very much like to know what's causing this poblem.
@ Phang. How is your battery condition?

Hi kampe,

Here’s a little bit of background. I got the bike new 6 months ago:-

First fuse blown in the fifth month at 5900km (3700miles)
Second fuse blown in the sixth month at 6600km (4100miles)

Battery posts are clean, coated with Vaseline. I visual check the posts for corrosion as well as tightness about twice a month when I clean the bike. I don’t hose down my bikes, only wipe clean with damp cloth.

Right after the first fuse blown, I cleaned and coated the starter solenoid spade connector and the grounding point behind the starter cover. The spade connector has some minor trace of oxidation, the grounding point were fresh and shiny.

My riding habit on this bike:-

I ride it as least once a week when the weather is good. The route is about 120km (75miles) with fueling stop every other time. The battery voltage display on the dash usually read between 12.3V to 12.7V before I hit the starter button and settled down between 13.7V to 14.0V when the engine is running.

My thoughts:-

Something is deteriorating and caused the current draw of the starter solenoid become very high.

It is intermitting and random, only occur under certain condition. Engine started right away with new fuse in both occasions.

Phang

Hello Phang,

If my iterpetation of the schematic is correct then the front fuse is the one witch comes from the alternator and the one behind it is the main fuse that splits up into the little fuses. How is the wiering on the alternator? Maybe there is someting loose in that region.

My apologies. The fuse that I was referring to is the Fuse B of the Auxiliary Fuses.

It serves the tail lights, license plate lights, passing lights and the start-up relay (ignition relay in Guzzi’s owner's manual term).

auxfuse.jpg

Phang

Yes that's the age-old problem on Guzzis, when will they learn?
Happened on the Norge too, covered in detail in another thread here.
Cured by rewiring the start relay. Remove yellow wire from the relay and tape it up. Then add new wire direct from battery (via an inline 15A fuse) to the vacated terminal on the relay. No more starting problems, or blowing fuses.

My 2008 8V Griso has recently been struck by 'The 15 amp Fuse Blowing' syndrome on start up. So I did all the usual things of cleaning and checking earth and wiring connections, but to no avail.

I had read the previous posts on this subject and the 'fix' suggested of running an extra wire and fuse ect. but thought this a bit of a bodge, as this had not been required for the first 3 years of the bikes life, so why now ?

What had changed ? I removed the starter motor and had it checked at a local Auto Electritians. Their report said
the motor was perfect but it required 30 -36 amps to trip the starter solenoid, and if it was pulling through a 15 amp
fuse, the results would be obvious.

The Solenoid is fixed to the starter motor with 3 Torx screws, remove these and carefully allow the solenoid body
to lift clear of the housing (there is a slight 'spring loaded' feel to this) and, when there is a big enough gap, spray
the exposed plunger shaft with WD40 or similar. Then re-assemble.

This has cured the problem on my bike, at least.

There may be a better lubricant available more suitable for this application, I have yet to research. Another
little piece of information is Bosch do not list a seperate replacement Solenoid for this particular application.

Updates!

Currently the odometer of my G8V is 11,000km (~6900miles) and the bike is 11 months old. Here is the record of the 3 fuses blown to date. I have not done the direct feed cable from the battery to the starter solenoid relay modification yet as I wanted to continue monitoring and find out what causes this.

First fuse blown in the fifth month at 5900km (~3700miles)
Second fuse blown in the sixth month at 6600km (~4100miles)
Third fuse blown in the eight month at 7500km (~4700miles)

As you can see, it blew 3 fuses in a row, all within 1000 miles from 3700 to 4700 miles and stop doing that after the third fuse till now.

My analysis based on record above:-

It is unlikely due to something deteriorating
It is unlikely a random phenomena

Phang

My fuse was blowing about every other ride and I got fed up with buying new ones. I had the fix done of the new fused wire straight from the battery and it hasn't been a problem since, so I am happy.

I am still interested in why it happened though, so I shall be following this thread with interest.

Good Luck,
David

Do all Griso's need a new fused wire direct from the battery to the starter relay? Is this an issue for both the G11 and the G12?

Thank You,

Mark

Phang said:
Updates!

My G8V blew the Fuse 2 (15A) for the second time today after 700km from the last fuse replacement. The replacement fuse I put in a month ago only last about 15 starts.

Same as the previous incident, the engine started right away after the fuse replacement.

I just bought a bag of 15A fuses, will monitor closely to see if I can link anything leading to the fuse blowing start up.

Phang
You can get trip fuses easy to reset them various ampages available

My brother in Malaysia was visiting me during the weekend and I spent the night bragging to him how fantastic and reliable is my Guzzi. Fuse B blown when I was trying to impress him with my G8V the next morning.

So, this is the fourth fuse.

First fuse blown in the fifth month at 5900km (~3700miles)
Second fuse blown in the sixth month at 6600km (~4100miles)
Third fuse blown in the eight month at 7500km (~4700miles)
Fourth fuse blown in the eleventh month at 11,500km (~7200miles)

Battery voltage was fine at the usual 12.3V before starting (dash reading), ambient temperature was the usual 26C (~79F) at the basement car park, last ride was 7 days ago.

I can hear the solenoid engaging with a solid thump but no hint of motor spinning, probably not enough travel to short the motor’s connection at the bottom of the stroke. I replaced the fuse in less than 60 seconds and it fired up immediately, as usual.

It seems the first starting attempt sacrificed a fuse to knock loose the solenoid action and save the subsequent fuse from blowing up until it got stuck again. That’s my theory at the moment.

Phang

Lubricating the solenoid plunger shaft like TEDD posted seems like an excellent solution. Lubricating the solenoid shaft seems to address the problem while running a separate fused wire seems to address the symptom.

Mark

Back