• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Future Griso Owner

Reduxalicious

Just got it firing!
Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. As the title says, I plan to pull the trigger on a 2013 griso 8v come the end of this summer beginning of fall from the dealer here in Houston. I've read over many forums and know what to expect but still have a few questions to ask.

first is, does the 13 need a 68 map? I know every ECU could use a reflash but is that all this one needs?

Second I plan on getting a pciii or v as well as the gtrx exhaust but wanted to know, should I hold off on those until the bikes fully broken in? Or can I do it from near day 1 of ownership. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats in advance on the Griso.

The 68 map is non-existent to almost all dealers, but I still do have a copy. As delivered, the bike will run decent, not great, but more then tolerable... Giving twitchy low speed throttle, slight surging below 3k RPM, and excessive heat from the motor.

The bike will be much happier with corrected fueling and the muffler is an added bonus for sound and power. I've done all of my newer machines with these mods, the day I bring them home from the dealer. You'll get more power, cooler and smoother running... really no down side outside of an occasional uninformed cranky dealer. Your bike will thank you.

In my humble opinion, the answers are no and yes.

You don't need a reflash on a 2013, fueling is just fine stock. You may find later that you want one for the reasons stated above.

You don't have to wait on upgrades, but to me it makes sense to get to know the bike as is while you break it in.

You may find you're happy with the stock config, and if not you'll have a better base of comparison on the before and after.

My '12 SE is still getting smoother, faster and better with every mile -- 2,500 of them and counting. The day will probably come when I want a little more jam, but it's already pretty sweet.

Either way, you're gonna' love it.

2013 will have the 03 map in. It canto be retrofitted with the 68 map unless you have some form of overwriting hardware like Todd or Guzzidiag.

If you're buying in Houston I assume it will be from MPH which will ensure it has been set up correctly rather than some of the other rather more fly-by-night operations that are around.

Ride it and see what you think it needs. Personally I find they run just fine stock but we don't have ethanol in our gas.

Pete

I'm sure you will find the Griso is a great bike "right out of the box". Todd's pipe and fueling mods just make a great bike even better.
As soon as you get it, set the suspension up for your weight - it makes a HUGE difference.

Pete - I'm jealous to hear that you aren't stuck putting crappy ethanol in your tank like we are forced to. That almost outweighs all of the deadly snakes, spiders, insects, lizards, plants, sharks, etc. that you have to watch out for :lol: .

Oh you can get shit with ethanol in it. It was introduced, as in most places, as a sop to the 'Green Lobbly' who generally know sweet fuck-all about how internal combustion engines work and how ethanol has a lower calorific value than petrol so you get worse fuel economy and a host of other hideous side effects. We won't even begin to get into why it is fucking INSANE to use food crops for fuel!

Here there is E10 available but its no cheaper than ordinary petrol and gives lower mileage so people treat it with the utter contempt it deserves. Even those who do want it to power their horrid poorly maintained 'Eco Vehicles' Re being duped as we don't produce enough ethanol to feed the demand so so called 'E10' is more likely to be 'E5' or even 'E2' :roll:

We get 91 RON, 95 RON and 98 RON all unadulterated but the 98 isn't available everywhere. Luckily all my vehicles will run happily on 95 and my 'Serial Killer Van' will chunter along quite happily on 91!

Pete

I'd be a bit more "accepting" of the ethanol if we had a choice to buy it or not - but it has been forced upon us. It is now nearly impossible to find ethanol free fuel - unless you buy race gas or aviation fuel! The closest station to me that even sells ethanol free gas is around 70 miles from my house - that's a convenient trip for a fill up. :roll:
I may have to start a "bash ethanol" thread to be able to adequately voice my displeasure over the influence the "corn lobby" has in what fuel goes in my vehicles and what food goes in our bodies (high fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING). :S

kmac33 said:
I'd be a bit more "accepting" of the ethanol if we had a choice to buy it or not - but it has been forced upon us. It is now nearly impossible to find ethanol free fuel - unless you buy race gas or aviation fuel! The closest station to me that even sells ethanol free gas is around 70 miles from my house - that's a convenient trip for a fill up. :roll:
I may have to start a "bash ethanol" thread to be able to adequately voice my displeasure over the influence the "corn lobby" has in what fuel goes in my vehicles and what food goes in our bodies (high fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING). :S

Living in any metro area is tough on that count.

What is (only mildly) amusing is that I have no problem finding ethanol-free fuelout here in the middle of King Corn Country! :whistle:

In fact, hi-octane "recreational fuel" is readily available, especially just north of here in Wisconsin.

If we must have ethonol as an option, I think the local approach here not bad, i.e., regular sans ethanol costs $X; mid-grade with ethanol costs less, usually in the neighborhood of 10 cents less; and premium w/o ethanol costs $X+.

I think I will have a harder -- but not impossible -- time getting "real gas" when I get back to Virginia in July.

Bill

pete roper said:
2013 will have the 03 map in. It canto be retrofitted with the 68 map unless you have some form of overwriting hardware like Todd or Guzzidiag.

If you're buying in Houston I assume it will be from MPH which will ensure it has been set up correctly rather than some of the other rather more fly-by-night operations that are around.

Ride it and see what you think it needs. Personally I find they run just fine stock but we don't have ethanol in our gas.

Pete

Yes sir, that is who I'm buying it from, In fact when I get home from school and am Waiting on my next ship I'll be stopping by for one final visit before I come back and actually buy it. :D

Thanks for the responses everyone, Got the answers I needed.

Guess an ethanol fuel thread should be started. Power boaters really depend on engine reliability and have understandably a low tolerance for ethanol-induced engine mishaps, so the Startron fuel additive http://mystarbrite.com/startron/ seems popular with some of that crowd. I have used it in my cars and Griso and haven't noticed any difference (but I haven't had any engine issues either).

I've certainly had issues with ethanol! I ruined my triumph speed triple tank and my griso tank using this crap! Both fuel tanks bubbled through the paint, small dine sized blisters sppeared out of nowhere. There wasn't a scratch, nickv or blemish on either bike yet both fuel tanks eventually were spoiled by the same blistering.

Nowhere is Ethanol Free fuel to be found near me in New Jersey so I'm forced to begin destruction of my new Stelvio NTX fuel tank as I have no other options.
Tell me that doesn't suck.

Vivo

Back