• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Future very proud owner of a 2014 California Custom

hcuellart

Just got it firing!
Hello guys, well, as the title says, I will soon be a very proud owner of a 2014 California Custom. I am excited, but would like your input on what to take special attention before I dive in. The bike has barely been used it has 1250 mi. so barely broken in... I still have not signed the paperwork, and am still with a bit of time to check anything in particular I'd have to look into. Bike looks very clean, no mods to it, so Im very happy about that.
Thanks for your input!!
Homero

Hello guys, well, as the title says, I will soon be a very proud owner of a 2014 California Custom. I am excited, but would like your input on what to take special attention before I dive in. The bike has barely been used it has 1250 mi. so barely broken in... I still have not signed the paperwork, and am still with a bit of time to check anything in particular I'd have to look into. Bike looks very clean, no mods to it, so Im very happy about that.
Thanks for your input!!
Homero

I think just the normal stuff you would do with any used bike you buy (and in the case of Moto Guzzi, any NEW bike you buy).

That is:
  1. go over all nuts and screws to confirm they are tight
  2. change all oils (engine, transmission and rear drive) or verify when they were last changed
  3. inspect tires and replace if needed ( I know, only 1250 miles, but the tires are potentially three years old by now)
What color are you getting?

Doing the service baseline as suggested is a good idea.

After that, just ride it. I'd suggest putting a 1,000+ miles on the bike before you change anything. Will give you a chance to see if anything really bothers you.

When the time comes to replace the tires (which will come sooner than you want) take a serious look at the Avons (there is a pretty lengthy tire thread in this forum). The OEM Dunlops don't seem to stand up as well as some other options.

I've got 16,000 trouble free miles on my Cali Custom, and have made a number of cosmetic and ergonomic changes over the course of those miles.

Thanks guys, I've been told the original owner did the break in service and that was about it... The dealer I'm getting it from is a BMW dealer in TX... And they say to ride it till the next oil change and maybe replace fluids then...
I'm getting a black one. Beautiful bike, originally I was very close to pull the trigger on a '16 Audace but got a good deal with the Cali I couldn't pass on it...

Congrats on the bike! Like it's been said above, you'll love the bike, and it's no cliche to say it gets better as the miles increase. I just turned 10000kms on my Touring, and it rides better than ever! It's actually a demo day ride on a Custom that caused me to get California! Love at first ride!!!

My 1400 was a plague ship but I still want another one.

If Guzzi Tech had been on the East Coast I would have kept it.

Actually with all the money I have spent on bikes since I sold the 1400 I could have shipped it to Todd & back & been ahead of the game!

I have a black 1400 Custom, and have had zero issues with it. Lots of the 1400 Touring folks have had some problems with the exhaust crossover cracking. I put a set of Mistrals slip-ons on it fairly early. I'm thinking the greatly reduced weight of the aftermarket slip-ons kept the vibration toned down enough that my exhaust crossover hasn't had a problem. A little over 6000 miles on mine right now, and as I said, no issues. It's going to need a new rear tire soon though... ;-)

Yes the fun begins, but before, it has to go to the dealer to have a vasectomy... Apparently the previous owner didn't get the recall made. So I'd like to have them take a look before I start riding...

James, there is a recall on this model, which consists of basically disconnecting an electrical cable below the gas tank that goes to the alternator and gives some kind of electrical feedback and if not disconnected apparently it damages it. There is a topic around this forum about it...

Oh, right. That. I took care of that at the same time I settled the Moaning Whale issue. Thanks for reminding me I had fixed that. Need to note it in the warranty book..

Back