• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

G5 Confy Seat Rear Mount Info Sought

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
I am assembling a Police G5 and want to use a comfy tandem seat. The bike is a 1980 with the small round tailight. This doesn't have the more recent (newer?) wide tail light with the groovy bodywork.

I have the rear bracket that the seat bolts to but it seems a little wonky to me.
HingeSeatsm.jpg

There a hole in the bracket that looks like a bolt might be used to stabilize the whole schmere but there is not a coresponding hole in the fender. I am thinking that the fender is a police model and therfore no hole....

Hingesm.jpg

I got the seat and bracket from separate folks on my friendly on-line acution house.

Anyone have a pic of the way Guzzi actually mounted that bracket to this fender/seat/tailight/bike combination? I would like to follow the leader here.

Alex

I believe those rear brackets are for a radio mount. The stock non police seat seat mounted in much the same manner as the 850-T through T-3. You need the chrome bracket that attached to the rear fender bolt and the shock mount. The seat then mounts to the chrome piece. Take a look at a T-3 or G5 parts manual. You should be able to find them here http://guzzitek.org/gb/cadres_gb.htm

Ahh yes! Very good John. Thanks. Looks like the same as an SP eh?

Back to the auction house for a T3-SP seat rail.

Muchas Arigato

Alex

Tonerjockey said:
Looks like the same as an SP eh?
It is, and they are available at MG Cycles. The G-5 seat rail, you have, will work, it in the parts book as a seat bracket. The hole is there for a bolt through the fender to keep the bracket from rotating while lifting the seat. The the G-5 seat rail bolts to the tabs on the sides of the bracket.

The chrome SP rail bolts up at the shock post preventing rotation. I checked all my tonti rear fenders, none of them had a hole in that spot. I'd use the G-5 parts to keep the G-5 look.

Hey Rafael,

Thanks for the infos.

I was very hesitant to drill a hole thru a perfectly good... and, almost NOS, fender to mount the tandem seat. Untill I caught this pic on our friendly on-line auction service:

Bz3BCBGkKGrHqFiEEw5OFLFY4BM0hIg-Mg_12.jpg

and:

Bz3jQEGkKGrHqZjEw5RLOGBM0g-hrnw_12.jpg

These show the "bolt" in place on a reportedly 1970's Guzzi.

The bracket is reversed from my 1st guess, the side tabs are lower than my bracket, and I don't recall a rear light lens like that on a Guzzi (not a Guzzi fender afterall?)... but what the heck?

If I can find a nice (cheap) grab rail that would obviate the necessity of screwing up a perfect fender, then I will not do the drilling thing. I am waiting for rings from MG Cycle... I'll make the final final decision on the seat mount after the engine is done.

Thanks again for the infos.

Alex

That tail light assembly looks like it came off a British bike. As for the seat bracket, It doesn't look like a Guzzi part either. The fender looks like a 70s Guzzi fender, but everything I don't believe to be a Guzzi part.

G5 Comfy Seat Rear Mount Info Sought

Hey H.Alex,

the bracket that you have is the correct seat fitting for the G5 and Convert that had that a late 70s early 80s plastic tailpiece. The two wee lugs held it in place and there was possibly another fixing into the superlarge tailight.Would have to dig deeper to see if that is true.

261565689_o.jpg

Anyways you dont really want the mudguard ( fender to youse guys) stopping the assembly from rotating ,do ya? I needed someway of keeping the top box lower on my girlfriends G5 and therefore didn't need the grab bit of the rail.Thefirst pic shows where we started.With a saw. It looks a bit neater now with bungs from a chair in the end of the rails and a bit of a shine up. But a whole grab rail works just as well without the box.

DSC05768.jpg

P9292906.jpg

Regards
Min
x

Yeah I wuz (that's were to youse'all) thinkin of making a simple brace. From shock top to the tab thingies. I like your solution!

Tanx,

Alex

BTW is it true that ya call a leprechaun that's had too much of that genius beer "one of the wee wee people?"

:huh:

Well here's what I wound up using.

SeatMountsm.jpg

Friendly onbline auction house to the rescue...

It came painted black and sorta fits in.

SeatMoun2tsm.jpg

Man I gotta learn how to install freshly painted things onto freshly painted things W/O hacking it all up...

Alex

G5 Comfy Seat Rear Mount Info Sought

That is the way to go H.Alex. Her rail only got the chop due to the top box.
I rebuilt the front suspension on it ( with newly powdercoated legs) before Christmas and it now rides like it was supposed to instead of having the damping characteristics of a sponge.
The Pirhana Electronic box gave up around that time. I fault finded ( ? ) using my bike, siamesed to hers, wiring her unit into my pick ups. Yes, sometimes two G5's are better than one.

P1102091.jpg

Regards
Min
x

Back