• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gas Mileage

mikeaedmonds

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have been tracking gas mileage the last 1000kms. I have noticed a vast difference between highway and city mileage. City numbers are on average 11.5 kms/L or 27 MPG, highway driving 18.5 kms/L or 43.5 MPG. Gas used 92 octane. Anyone else getting numbers similar to this?

I haven't been tracking my mileage per se but I am seeing roughly the same numbers. 30 +/- 5% mpg (US) suburbs with lights, crosswalks, stop signs, traffic etc. 42.3 120 mile loop in the N GA mountains Sep. 4th 2016. Average for the loop was above 50 at one point, instant mpg display: 115 mpg 6th gear, downhill @ 65 mph.

Usually when my wife asks how about my mpg, I multiply by 1.25 (for imperial gallons) as we're both English I usually get away with it.

BTW my '14 Cali Custom 1400 gets about the same mpg as my 850 '78 Lemans.

Last edited:
When I fill the tank, I hand calculate, how many miles divided by gallons US. Like 100mi.÷ 3gal=33.3 mpg. That was my mpg when new. After a few thousand miles I started to get a consistent 34 mpg. Sometimes I have calculated up to 36 mpg. I drive freeway & back roads not much city driving. Enough to get out of town, I have Todd s fueling. Everyone drives fast around here. So. Cal. Don't even use the dash milage, it can read in the 90's mpg. downhill. YMMV

I use fuelly to track my Audace as well as my triumph bonneville. I don't break it down via city and non-city riding as I usually end up doing both on a tank and don't care to try and keep track past that.

Average is 31.2 over the 1078 miles tracked(bike has a few more than that but is new and I think I had a few missed fuel ups that I had to mark in the system). This is US mpg. Best I've seen is 37.5.

Bike is usually in Turismo mode although I can be a little hard on the accelerator. I'm also not a small guy. Gas is either 92 or 93 octane depending on the brand.

Anyone that wants to track should look into fuelly. It is free and seems to work well.

Anyone that wants to track should look into fuelly. It is free and seems to work well.

Agreed. I use a similar program called MyTripLogs (www.mytriplogs.com). However I use it for my cars, not motorcycles. I don't own motorcycles to get great fuel mileage. They typically really suck on fuel mileage when you look at the overall weight / MPG ratio.

Agreed. I use a similar program called MyTripLogs (www.mytriplogs.com). However I use it for my cars, not motorcycles. I don't own motorcycles to get great fuel mileage. They typically really suck on fuel mileage when you look at the overall weight / MPG ratio.

It can help you find issues. My bonneville had its millage drop off pretty badly recently. Ended up running an adaption on it after balancing the throttle bodies.

Yea talking about fuel mileage in a form for the cal 1400 series bikes is kinda funny as they really don't do good. I didn't buy the bike for its fuel economy which they don't seem to list in an easy to find place. I honestly was expecting mine to do a little better on the average but it isn't a big deal. It isn't like I'm nice and easy on it.

I have kept detailed records of every drop of fuel that my 1400 Touring has used. (I have ocd!)

As at the last fill up:
Total mileage 46864 km
Fuel used 2798.8 litres
Avg cons 5.97 l/100km = 39.38 US mpg
Best cons 5.07 l/100km = 46.4 US mpg
Worst cons 7.70 l/100km = 30.5 US mpg

Virtually no city driving, only long distance solo open road touring.
Turismo mode 99.9% of the time.
Road speed between 100 to 140 km/h, typically maintain about 130 km/h.
Altitudes vary from 6000 feet down to sea level. Fuel consumption does not vary much due to altitude.
Fuel is 93 at altitude and 95 at sea level.

Gratuitous punt: Come to South Africa for some great riding!

Have to do an update, After a tweak to my fuel map (thanks to Todd ), today I averaged 40.72 mpg hand calculated 4 gal. 164 mile.. this on a twisty mountain road up to Jucumba, Ca. Sea level to almost 5000ft. elevation & 112 degrees F. In desert. (The dash computer claim I averaged 50 mpg's )

Have to do an update, After a tweak to my fuel map (thanks to Todd ), today I averaged 40.72 mpg hand calculated 4 gal. 164 mile.. this on a twisty mountain road up to Jucumba, Ca. Sea level to almost 5000ft. elevation & 112 degrees F. In desert. (The dash computer claim I averaged 50 mpg's )

Mr. Gussi, What kind of tweak was done to your California ?? My bike's gong in for the 10k warranty service this week before a big trip to the Smokey's and I'd like to squeeze a few more MPG's if possible...

Rslezak, I'm very happy with theses mods.. stainless exhaust, power commander makes fueling adjustable, auto tune reads air fuel mix In real time. That is my understanding... Todd does the adjustments, I wouldn't know how. I was just looking for an exhaust when I found this site. Glad guzzitech is here. We need about a dozen Todds spread out over the country. 20160910 151355

Thanks for the feedback... might look into some of those mods in the off season...

Gussi, any noticeable change in performance with Todd's tweaking? He has offered to modify my map to help fuel millage but I have been hesitant because the bike runs really well as it is.

Gussi, any noticeable change in performance with Todd's tweaking? He has offered to modify my map to help fuel millage but I have been hesitant because the bike runs really well as it is.
Probably, but like most here, I only use a small portion of the power that is available. I really like the idea that the fueling is right on, as I think that is better for longevity of the engine & I hope to keep this bike for a good while. Yes my bike runs really well too.

Cool, thanks. I will drop Todd a line in a few weeks and see what he will charge just to sell me the map you have and I can save my map in my Flashzilla he sold me in-case I want to switch back.

Cool, thanks. I will drop Todd a line in a few weeks and see what he will charge just to sell me the map you have and I can save my map in my Flash Tool he sold me in-case I want to switch back.
To clarify to those reading this, the fuel map is only handled by the PC-V, not the ECU. I don't have a ECU fuel map for the C14.

Todd, you are yet again correct, I don't understand. I have your full fueling mods. Looking for the above tweak. Sorry for bening so dense.

Back