• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gas Tank Opening

pokeyjoe

High Miler
There is a reducer in the opening to the tank (listed as a 38mm reduction on the parts list). Can I just remove this? Fueling is always a bit of a pain because I can't see into the tank and I can't put the nozzle in at an angle to reduce splatter. Removing that reduction seems like an easy solution.

I took it apart. The thickness of the reducer is required to keep the part the cap locks into from spinning. I suppose I could replace it with a thick washer or cut it down to eliminate the funnel-shaped reduction.

Thanks for checking into that. I noticed that on my first fill-up as well. Please post if you come up with a fix!

Just to throw this in there.....
That reduced hole opening will keep you from putting diesel fuel in the tank by mistake.
You may laugh but I know of at least one person who did that to a Ducati that did not have the reducer.

One thing I learned by taking it all apart is that I should point the nozzle toward the back of the tank when filling. That should eliminate most of the splattering.

I've wanted to get rid of the same reducer in my Griso 8V.
Just never bother to do anything about it.
And eventually got accustomed to it.

But I still wonder; is this reducer a Guzzi feature, a European feature, or a new motorcycle feature for all makes and models ?

At the gas station I always have to think twice because I drive a diesel car and I am use to go a this specific pump...
I do not think my Norge would like a greasy fill up! :blink:

The guy with the Ducati was not happy. His Ducati stopped running and I am sure it required a good bit of work to get running again. He could not figure out what happened, then we opened the gas cap (wondering if he had some sort of vapor lock) and you could smell the diesel.

jiltedjohn said:
Surely a McCuff is the answer to a problem that doesn't really exist, like wearing a hard hat in the middle of some open ground.
I not sure about other areas, but here in CA we have a vapor recovery sleeve that must be compressed in order for the gas to flow from the pump handle. The MCuff does this job well and doesn't allow splash/spillage. It works. You don't need it though, as you can simply hold up on the sleeve (I help many other out of towners passing through), or I also have a simple plate with a designed groove to do the job, but you still get the splash.

A little research and I found that MG makes two sizes, a 22mm (15/16") and a 38mm(1 1/2"). The USA is the only one using the 22mm size. I am guessing you can order the 38mm from any dealer, part #GU03101720. I found this information in the V7 Special-Stone 750 2012-2013 parts manual I downloaded from this link.
http://www.tlm.nl/onderdelenboeken/ It's 9th from the bottom of the list.

Al

A a guy riding a chopper with ape hangers and a stupid helmet that says at the end "go ahead check my tank its filled right up" or something equally inane and then the camera DOESNT actually show you the full tank has a slight credibility problem for me.
As does an endorsement from "Paul snr" the builder of the most technically appalling and dangerous pieces of sh*t I have ever seen.
I wont comment on its usefulness as I don't have to deal with the vapour recovery device on the fuel dispensers here in Australia but surely in California when the pump cuts out you just pull the vapour recovery section back and check the tank is topped off and fill to the top as required.
Ciao

My last post on the matter. Those in CA know that you cannot pump the gas without compressing the sleeve by hand. The McCuff device works (my words), outside of lugging it around. If you don't live in a State where the vapor recovery sleeve is used, kudos to you, it's a PITA.

John, I'll be curious to see the Euro opening you ordered. I'll invite you up if/when I get a '13 V7 to my shop.

Wasn't meaning to have a go at you Todd, and i'm sure it works well but carrying that thing around would be a royal PITA. Doubtless I will be dealing with the Vapour recovery system here in Australia in the near future. Same as Ethanol fuel and swollen fuel tanks.
Ciao

OK, my $2 part showed up today. It is plastic instead of aluminum, which initially concerned me, but not after installation.

fn1o.jpg
fn2o.jpg

I thought there might be a problem if the nozzle was tilted and hit the plastic edge, possibly breaking it. However, the plastic sits just inside the metal lip of the tank opening.

fn3e.jpg

fn4h.jpg

Kinda hard to see anything in that last picture other than it all went together without a hitch.

Nice fix, thanks for sharing. I'm going to see if I can get one on order as well.

Back