• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gear change-down problem

wjland

Just got it firing!
I could not change down from 4th to third on my Sport 1100i on a ride last Saturday and had to get home in 4th and 5th. OK because I live in the country. I managed to get back down through the gears after a bit of fiddling back in the shed. I am not sure what I did to fix it and haven't test ridden it yet. Has anyone experienced anything similar and what is entailed in fixing the problem?
Bill

Bill, does the shifter seem to hang and need manual force to get it to move? If so, it's a broken or near failing shift return spring. The gearbox would have to be removed to get to it, as it resides under the end plate.

Doesn't sound like the shifter return spring problem I'm used to hearing about, where you normally just have to manually pull the shifter up each time with your toe in order to reindent, cause the spring is busted & won't do it. Unless the busted bit of spring has gone & jammed itself somewhere. At least that is the way it usually is in the older gearboxes. Something different & bizarrely unusual happened in my 1000S gearbox, but the symptom there was you could go up in gear, but never down, so once you were in 5th-that was it, you stayed there. Clearly not your problem.

Sure there is not an issue with the linkages external to the gearbox? Be sure to take a close look.

Hi, guys,
I've had this problem and we think we've found the reason. My Stelvio has been in the shop (under warranty, thank goodness!) for the last week and I should be able to pick it up later today.

Over the last 2-3000 miles I've occasionally been unable to change down just as you describe, mostly from 4th downwards, but then have been able to tease the thing into neutral later, after which the problem generally went away for a while. It felt like treading the pedal onto something solid, there was no slack at all. I almost convinced myself that I was making it up between having the problem, but it would reoccur a few hundred miles later.

Turns out that there's a pin (no.11 on my gearbox diagram) that locates onto the selector spring. The pin is screwed into the gear casing and it had partially unscrewed itself from vibration, enough to stop the selector. The mechanic said the pin clearly had screwed itself in and out over time, resulting in the problem being intermittent.

I hope this might help your diagnosis, but alas it needs a full gearbox strip to determine. Good luck!

The pin has a hex collar that caught in the pre-selector when partially unscrewed, jamming downshifts. The mechanic showed me the burr on the collar where I'd tried downshifting. Apparently the pin had only unscrewed a little, and there is no possibility of its coming out altogether, but it was enough to interfere.

Once found it was simple enough to tighten the pin with some threadlock and put the bike back together! The only problem was, being a Stelvio, it took 2 days to get the thing apart and 2 more to put it all together. The mechanic said it's like peeling an onion, it's got so many bits bolted to other bits, etc. Luckily it's still in warranty.

I had an Aprilia Tuono R as a loan bike for the week. Great bike, fast, focussed, big trouble keeping the front wheel down. But cramped, thirsty and I couldn't wait to get the Stelvio back. And the Guzzi gearbox is a joy by comparison - now it works!

Attachments

• Loose pin.png
    Loose pin.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 409
Back