• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gear Drive for Quota

Twinsport

Tuned and Synch'ed
Can anyone recommend which gear-drive works best on my 2000 quota 1100es. Straight, helical aluminum steel?

Twinsport said:
Can anyone recommend which gear-drive works best on my 2000 quota 1100es. Straight, helical aluminum steel?

Gear drive for what? If you are talking about replacing the timing chain, I wouldn't recommend it. Instead I'd just get a new chain and a good blade style tensioner like this one http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=347 It is hard to get quality gears. The best gear set (steel) is made by a gentleman in the UK and his name escapes me right now. You could search this forum and possible find him. If I remember correctly, that block has to be ground to accept gears, but I could be mistaken. You would probably only notice a difference in performance in racing applications between the chain and a gear set, for street riding the chain is just fine.

Pete will be along shortly to tell you why you shouldn't use gears. :lol: It'll probably be pretty colorful, including making your willy shrivel, etc.. :shock: but based in the fact that he's seen *many* sets of gears go bad with the predictable results for your engine. I've personally seen one set in a Centauro that were toast at about 18K miles.

Pete can talk for himself for sure, but as I understand it he is not against all gears just the Aluminum sets.

I have a set of steel ones in my LM 1000. I would not even think about putting in Al gears, the thing is some fit and forget and have had many 1000s of miles. A guy on WG states he did 100.000 on a set. Others though go bad in short order and create havoc and mayhem inside the engine. The damage they have the propensity to do is just not worth the risk IMHO.

The guy who makes the steel gears is Joe Caruso. His are straight cut and he supplies worldwide including some who tune their engines within an inch of its life. I have never heard a bad thing said about Joe's gears and a lot of good things. I mail Joe regularly about various things Guzzi related he is a good guy. That said I make no money and have no business affiliation with him of any kind.

His gears are a lot more expensive than most are prepared to pay. This is due to limited production runs and Joe does not make much of anything from getting them made. But your looking at £400 absolute minimum maybe £500 a set. There may also be a wait involved as he gets them made for friends and long standing clients or as he needs.

For a proper estimate you'd need to contact him directly, if you PM me I'll give you his email, but I thought it only fair to mention the cost implication so as not to disappoint.

If it's too costly for your budget then the next best thing would be a new chain and Stuchi type tensioner.

John

Back