• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gear oil change 85W-140

chimmu

Tuned and Synch'ed
I took a class at Moto Guild for the valve adjustment and I also had time to change the gear oil. After draining the oil I/we realized that they don't have 85W-90 in stock and ended up using 85W-140. (Belray Hypoid Gear Oil 85W-140 API GL-5)

After reading a few posts, I don't know if I should replace it now or wait until the next service interval. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

2017 Moto Guzzi Cal 1400 Touring

Reportedly the shop manual for the 2021 V7 850 ES Stone now specifies 75W-140 for the transmission (differential) and gearbox. This is a recent change from 90 weight specified for the gearbox, but I don't know if this change applies to your bike.

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses! I have not rode the bike after I got it home, will consider changing it.

THIS MECHANICS OPINION:

I have never seen a gearbox with hypoid gear oil in it, fail because of the oil used.

Never.

In truth, you could run that gearbox on straight 30 weight oil in a complete pinch, and it would be just fine.

Only issue would be that the gears would break down the additive package in the oil faster than it would in the hypoid gear oil.

The oil additives against wear and excessive friction, would probably be chemically exhausted by 500 miles from the mechanical crushing of the oil.

So right now, you have a very high quality lubricant in your gearbox with a higher upper weight rating.

Relax! It’s fine. Nothing bad will happen.

Run it as it is and change it at your next engine oil service.

In all my Moto Guzzi motorcycles, I change all 3 oils every service. It’s cheap but excellent insurance.

I say this all the time to my customers.

“Oil is CHEAP. Engines, gearboxes, and transmissions are EXPENSIVE!”

Last edited:
In my 1400, I put Motul 75W140 for gear box and transmission, and this oil is perfect .
I put this oil in all my guzzi's, Norge, 1100 Breva, 1200 sport . The gear shifting is better and smoother , because it's a very high quality oil and no problem with it.

In my 1400, I put Motul 75W140 for gear box and transmission, and this oil is perfect .
I put this oil in all my guzzi's, Norge, 1100 Breva, 1200 sport . The gear shifting is better and smoother , because it's a very high quality oil and no problem with it.
Do you experience balky shifting in cold weather with that heavy gear lube in the gearbox?

Jason

Last edited:
NO, this oil is not for heavy gear lub, but for competition, and very good both for summer and winter .

In theory the first number you read on the oil's viscosity is specifically related to the oils thickness ( resistance to flow)
in cold weather ( used to be the freezing point for water) . So similar numbers ( viscosity's) should have very similar
cold weather characteristics :) . Peter

Do you experience balky shifting in cold weather with that heavy gear lube in the gearbox?

Jason
Moto Guzzi motorcycle gearboxes, like BMW‘s, perform flawlessly when “preloaded” at the pedal before rolling off the throttle and squeezing the clutch.

The gears will shift like butter when this is done regardless of the lubricant used.

This is a technique that European motorcycle riders need to know how to perform smoothly.

Back