• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gearbox Capacity- 2016 v7II Racer

Phillip Pistoresi

Just got it firing!
I am confused on the correct capacity for the '16 V7 gearbox. The manual (under "Capacities" in the manual) says 500cm3 which is about half a quart. However, later in the manual it says to fill until it reaches the fill cap, I put in 2 quarts and it is nowhere near the cap. Which one is correct? Any help would be apreciated. Thanks,
tempFileForShare_2016-02-06-18-58-46.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivwh2uuzqq2l5mg/tempFileForShare_2016-02-06-18-58-46.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Well, I'm sure the confusion over what is the transmission and what is the gearbox does nothing but add to the confusion. In Guzzi-speak, the gearbox is the thing you shift and the transmission is the final drive (sometimes referred to as the "bevel box").

To not confuse the issue any more, I will use the same terminology.

The gearbox (the thing you shift) holds 500 ml of oil. There is no way to check the level. It sounds like you should drain it and add exactly 500ml.

The transmission (final drive, bevel box, whatever) holds 170 ml of oil. The fill plug is on the back of the unit and you fill it until it comes out the hole. I find that difficult and messy. I remove the breather on top of the unit and fill from there using a very small funnel. Add oil until it comes out the fill hole.

I can see how you got messed up. I'm assuming you're performing your first service. Did you pull the little filter out of the bottom of the gearbox (behind the drain plug) and clean the screen?

Well, I'm sure the confusion over what is the transmission and what is the gearbox does nothing but add to the confusion. In Guzzi-speak, the gearbox is the thing you shift and the transmission is the final drive (sometimes referred to as the "bevel box").

The gearbox (the thing you shift) holds 500 ml of oil. There is no way to check the level. It sounds like you should drain it and add exactly 500ml.

The transmission (final drive, bevel box, whatever) holds 170 ml of oil. The fill plug is on the back of the unit and you fill it until it comes out the hole. I find that difficult and messy. I remove the breather on top of the unit and fill from there using a very small funnel. Add oil until it comes out the fill hole.

I can see how you got messed up. I'm assuming you're performing your first service. Did you pull the little filter out of the bottom of the gearbox (behind the drain plug) and clean the screen?

Thank you for the reply. Makes sense now. It is my first service. I did clean the screen. Glad I am doing the first service at 600 miles as the oil was pretty contaminated. Thanks again.

Don't rely on the level hole being accurate. I lost a rear drive using that technique. I guess an air bubble formed in the drive. Oil came out the hole, but there was insufficient oil. Now I never use the level plug. Just drain, measure and fill.

I've also found that the level hole on the drive gears or rear end also not accurate, and you end up slightly over filled if you fill to the bottom of that fill hole. I measure that out these days to get it right. Same for the transmission, I measure that out and on the 5 speed, be sure to add 1 liter and not 1 quart. Never go by that stinking fill hole method. I fill the transmission (thing you shift) with the bike on the side stand so that I get the proper level, 1 LITER into my 5 speed, not to be confused with the 6 speed. Few little things you need to learn about these bikes for sure.

BE AWARE 1QUART WILL BE LOW AND HOT PROPERLY LUBE THAT FIFTH GEAR. I'm TALKING THE FIVE SPEED.

Need some more help here for my 2016 V7ii Stone 6-spd. Is the gearbox (thing you shift) drain plug the 24mm bolt directly below the transmission? Can't find any other logical drain plug, and different from pics of 5 spd gearboxes. Happily had no problem with engine oil, filter, and bevel drive - just the gearbox drain. Any help would be welcomed. Thx.

Thank you for the reply. Makes sense now. It is my first service. I did clean the screen. Glad I am doing the first service at 600 miles as the oil was pretty contaminated. Thanks again.
My experience: I put 500 mL in and it puked out of the breather after running the bike hard on the highway. So i drained it, and put in 450 mL. 10,000km later, and with a lot of high speed running, it hasn't puked. So i conclude that the 500 mL applies to a dry box.

My experience: I put 500 mL in and it puked out of the breather after running the bike hard on the highway. So i drained it, and put in 450 mL. 10,000km later, and with a lot of high speed running, it hasn't puked. So i conclude that the 500 mL applies to a dry box.
What he said. I had the EXACT same experience. 450mL is the ticket (16 V7ii).

Back