Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Gel seat insert or Airhawk??? - GEL INSERT for the WIN!

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Mayakovski, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Greetings;
    Does anyone here have experience with adding a Gel insert to there seat?
    I have a V7 III Anniversario that I love, but not so much the seat. I love the look and shape of it, but after a couple of hours my sit bones get sore. I was thinking of an Airhawk, as many say it is a good solution. But I am wondering about adding a Gel insert into the original seat.

I am looking at the Gold Gel insert from Luimoto.
    https://www.luimoto.com/?my=189

Any opinions or experience with adding a Gel insert to a seat versus adding an Airhawk on top of it?
    Thanks
    Maya

2. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Sheepskin.

3. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

gel gets HOT when left in the sun and seems to never cool down. can't beat sheepskin for cool comfort. airhawk is ok as long as there is very little air in it like an air mattress.
    there was just a post on another site about something better but similar to an airhawk but less $$$. I'll see if I can find it for you. maybe the V85 one.

4. vagrant

I used to use an AirHawk for several years - until I discovered the "Coleman MadDog Gear Comfort Motorcycle Seat Pad" -

Cheaper and (imho) muuuuuch better. I had about 50,000Km on my AirHawk. I tried out the MadDog on a trip from Albany to Tas, to the Snowy Mtns and home again. So far I have about 30,000Km on the MadDog and won't be going back to the old AirHawk. I've since done from Albany across to Adelaide and up through central NSW and Qld, across the Barkley, down through Alice and home again.

Try a MadDog and you won't look back.

5. Mayakovski

I saw that post and looked into it but the MadDog is not shaped well for a V7 III, it is shaped for offload bikes and I am not sure how much I could cut it down to fit well on my bike also not sure how well it would mount to the seat.

Thoughts?

6. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Been thinking about this too. My seat is good for an hour and a half. Isn't terrible but I feel it the next day. I read somewhere that the puffier seat on some previous model might be more comfortable. Not sure where I saw that.

I'll be dropping off my Milano for it's first service and know that Cadre has a few different seats there. Including the comfort gel. Plan on asking Enzo about it and maybe seeing if I can try one or two out around the block. If I do I'll let you know.

Plan B is sticking it out with the stock seat and sending to GTM or someone else to rework for meover the winter. I tried adjusting the Mustang seat on my VN750 myself. That is the reason it had a Corbin seat when I sold it. :oops:

Wildroamer and Mayakovski like this.
  7. vagrant

the mad dog is a whole $20. at wally world I susspect you can afford to try one.

Mayakovski likes this.
  8. Mayakovski

I went ahead and ordered the Gel insert, once it's installed and I've ridden it a bit I'll report back as to the improvement level.

I did not want to deal with a strap-on seat like the Airhawk, and I have heard from lots of people the a sheepskin cover offers very little improvement for long rides. Plus with the insert the seat and the bike will look like they are supposed to.

9. vagrant

all sheepskins really do is allow airflow under your butt. big improvement in hot weather.
    I went to a sit and fly and it's easy to take on and off and it's like airconditioning.

added free bonus is you aren't sitting in a puddle of water in the rain either.

10. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Don't park in the sunshine on a hot day.....

11. Mayakovski

Well, installed my insert yesterday and took a 300 KM ride today. Before the insert after 100 KM I would be shifting a fair bit and trying to get comfortable. Today after 300 KM I was still completely comfortable. As an added bonus bumps like expansion joints and railway crossings are significantly less annoying.

The install was a piece of cake (the hardest part was finding a powered stapler to borrow) and took about 1.5 hours start to finish.

A very good investment in my opinion.

aproud1 likes this.
  12. Mayakovski

Just got back from a 3800 KM, 13 day trip. Had 4 days of 7 plus hours riding and the insert was worth it's weight in gold. Did not have sitting issues even one time on the trip. Cannot recommend this enough. FANTASTIC!!!

13. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I have an Air Hawk - overpriced and under performing. Better option imo is Sit & Fly, best option imo is Coleman's MadDog.