Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. The site owner Todd had surgery on Monday, and will be very slow to respond to all inquiries, including online Store questions.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  3. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Gel seat insert & or Airhawk

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Big E, May 19, 2011.

1. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

i've never come to terms with the Stelvio seat, infact my backside and this seat are the worst of enemies so I thought I'd have a gel insert (the seat not my arse). I can honestly say the Gel insert has made no difference whatsoever. I can only think that the flat profile doesn't suit my delicate posterior, so where next??

Has anyone used a Airhawk seat pad & if so what do you think of it?

Cheers

Ian

2. kwn306

kwn306 High Miler

I have used air hawks in the past and loved them. What I like is the adjustment of the air hawk, as you age you get more aches and pains, all you need to do is change the air pressure to suit your new ache. I normally fill the air hawk up so it is pretty hard then let air out slowly until my butt cheeks just begin to touch the seat and leave it there.

They now have two models for sale in the US, $99 & $179, one or two year warranty, there is a difference in materials and the air bleed system, hence the most expensive one is the easiest to operate / use IMHO.

I am about to purchase a new one as my 8 yr old model is beginning to lose air over a 24 hr period. Buy one your butt with thank you.

3. THE BONESHAKER

THE BONESHAKER Tuned and Synch'ed

Absolutely love my airhawk. Can spend a week in the saddle and no sore bum. Worth it's weight in gold

4. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

Airhawk never worked for me or the wife.
    Sheepskin though help a lot.

5. sempervee

sempervee Tuned and Synch'ed

Neither worked for me.. If not comfortable
    nothing else really matters on the bike if you can stand to sit on it..
    Look into having seat modified or get a custom saddle. I've done both successfully.
    This is a modified stock Norge saddle.

Attached Files:

6. Lannis

Lannis Cruisin' Guzzisti

The circle of life ... (or circle of butt-burn solutions)

Wayne O.'s Airhawk didn't work for him and his, so he sold it to me and mine and we go nowhere without them.

It turns ANY seat into a custom-made seat designed to fit your personal behind. Buying it cheap (used) helped take the sting out of the MSRP. I've sat on mine once with screwdriver in my back pocket and poked a hole in it, but a tube patch took care of that and we have many happy miles together.

Lannis

7. fatal

fatal Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Get a new arse! I have no problem, but then I am known at the ludus as Maximus Gluteus, shame it's not Biggus dickus :D

8. tomsp

tomsp Tuned and Synch'ed

IMHO the stelvio rear set seat is wonderful. Really comfortable. The main seat is great for being in the twisties and harder / uneven riding conditions when scooted way forward - really quite perfect. It's when the riding gets long and mostly straight , I.e. When you are relaxed, that it gets uncomfortable after 2 hours. The stelvio seat is designed for mountain riding -- so we need to come up with a seat that can do both well-- maybe not possible.

9. Craig-Stelvio

Craig-Stelvio Just got it firing!

I am finding the Stelvio seat really uncomfortable and would welcome any advice on where to get the seat rebuilt.

I tried a gel pad that clips over the seat. It was comfortable but it gave no grip tothe textiles I wear (Rukka) and feels like you will just slide off the bike. It also looks naff.

Cheers

10. guards 1656

guards 1656 Tuned and Synch'ed

"Tony Archer in Huddersfield", if you go on the boxertrix forum and search for that, you'll see some examples of his work.

11. Bisonheed

Bisonheed Cruisin' Guzzisti

I must have an odd shaped 'council gritter' as the Stelvio has the most comfortable bike seat I've ever owned (over 45 bikes). Must just be me...

12. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Yep, you're definately an ironbutt. It's amazing how we all differ and so there's no definitive answer. I note that the post 2009 models seem to have a softer foam and a different vinyl cover, maybe that's the answer. I seriously find that after 40miles I just want to get off the bike and walk, should be interesting in Southern Spain this year if I don't get an AirHawk beforehand.

I used Caulfield Leathers for my gel insert, decent fell, knows what he is doing and a damned good upholsterer too(£70 for the job), shame it didn't sort my arse out, perhaps I should have had the insert in my buttocks.

Ciao

Ian

13. rturo

rturo Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Ian, was the £70 just for the gel insert ? .. I quite fancy a leather recover

Art

PS- I find the more time I spend on my mountain bike saddle the more comfortable my Breva seat becomes :laugh:

14. neil w

neil w Just got it firing!

On my BM* I tried gel seat inserts and in the end went for an Airhawk medium cruiser seat, from agony in 100 miles to being able to travel 500 plus miles in a day with no problems

15. Guy R

Guy R Tuned and Synch'ed

I use an airhawk when riding for more than two days in a row and find it brilliant. The trick is to resist the logic to put a lot of air in it. As another poster stated, fill it then let the air out until your butt is just shy of the bike's seat. Less is best. A mate of mine didn't like his until he realised that the idea wasn't to actually sit on air but to have the cushion wrap around your ass to spread the pressure! Less air reduces the separated from the bike feeling too!

The thing that I don't like about gel is that it heats up when parked in the sun and retains the heat for a long time - creating discomfort. This may not be such an issue in cooler climates.

16. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Bought an AirHawk, just doen a quick 40 miles which would normally have my backside begging for mercy but so far so good. I'll give it a proper try out tomorrow.

I must add that if you've never sat on an AirHawk it's an experience, a bit like sitting on fat girlfriends belly, very weird sensation but we'll see how it goes.

Ian

17. nigelm

nigelm Tuned and Synch'ed

Ian, As has been said don't be tempted to put too much air in it, I did at first and hated it. The secret is to have as little in as possible. Depending on the contour of your seat you may want to experiment with the fore/aft position of your airhawk. Just been to Dijon for Coupes Moto Legend without any problem, apart from running over my camera. Anyone got any photos? Nigel

18. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks Nigel, I did 120 miles this morning with varying prssures down to almost nothing and found the AirHawk made no improvement whatsoever. Having now spent over £200 to try to make the bike comfortable I've decided to do the run down to Spain and then get rid of the Stelvio when I get back. I would swap it now but it's too near our departure date.

Cheers

Ian

19. Bisonheed

Bisonheed Cruisin' Guzzisti

For what it's worth I tried an XT1200z Yamaha before I bought the Stelvio and found it had the most uncomfortable, least forgiving seat I've ever sat on ! Maybe that could be the bike for you ???

20. Big E

Big E Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ah lateral thinking, you seem to be suggesting I have a negatively charged arse so a traditionally uncomfortble bike may suit my my needs, maybe if i took the seat off and sat on the battery it would prove more comfortable, and following that line of thinking it would be even better than expected because it's got a Gel battery. :lol: :lol:

Ian