• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"Get a Guzzi" they said..."It'll be fun" they said...

Marco_Guzzi

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all,

I'm new here, thanks for adding me... powers that be.

Sorry if my first post is long winded, but I have a tale to tell...

This story actually starts with a 2016 Harley-Davidson Street Glide that I bought as a wrecked / totaled bike, and then rebuilt (beautifully I might add!) and then...totaled myself. Heartache - sigh. Well, thirty four years between accidents isn't too bad I guess. I am very, very thankful to have walked away with just five stitches in my left elbow and some sore ribs. After recovering, and feeling a little more adventurous, I thought I'd take the opportunity to pick up an adventure touring bike. I had enough equity in the Street Glide to buy something outright. I've often wondered where those dirt roads and trails would lead, as I've flown by on my various street bikes over the years...now I can find out!

After some research, I discovered the V85TT and kind of fell in love with the look. I've always wanted to try a Guzzi. So I started the search, and what should appear on Craigslist but a pristine 2020, with every possible accessory included, and only 3000 miles on the odometer! Such a deal - What could go wrong?! Well, about three hundred happy miles after acquiring this sexy beast, and mostly loving every mile (with the exception of the characteristic lack of top end power), she developed a misfire on the left cylinder. So I did the reasonable thing and ordered the scanner adapter plug from eBay and scanned for DTC's - No codes pending or stored. Okay. So then I checked the plugs and found the left plug was black and fouled from not firing correctly. Next I checked spark output, and found spark to the left cylinder was weak / erratic. Next I pulled the tank to access the ignition coils and spark plug wires and it was then that I found the smoking gun; a small tear / hole in the coil boot end of the spark plug wire (along with carbon tracking!). That was about four weeks ago...Still waiting for a set of spark plug wires from Italy - for just over $200.00. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR SPARK PLUG WIRES??!! What did I get myself into?!

The next thing that happened was a truly pucker worthy moment. After I cleaned and reinstalled the spark plugs, the left side plug made a gut wrenching "CRUNCH"... the porcelain snapped right off and the threads stayed in the cylinder. %@!#&*)!!!! My Nephew suggested tapping a Torx bit into the spark plug threads and then attempting to extract, which worked like a charm! A T-40 Torx bit fit like a glove. So the new spark plugs are just waiting for those new wires from Italy (4-6 weeks).

Is this a typical initiation into the Moto Guzzi club?!

I might need someone to talk me off of the ledge - not sure how long this relationship is going to last... Thinking of getting another bike that I can actually ride while waiting for Guzzi parts. I really want to love this bike...

Marco_Guzzi

IMG 5987 IMG 6173 IMG 6197

Hi all,

I'm new here, thanks for adding me... powers that be.

Sorry if my first post is long winded, but I have a tale to tell...

This story actually starts with a 2016 Harley-Davidson Street Glide that I bought as a wrecked / totaled bike, and then rebuilt (beautifully I might add!) and then...totaled myself. Heartache - sigh. Well, thirty four years between accidents isn't too bad I guess. I am very, very thankful to have walked away with just five stitches in my left elbow and some sore ribs. After recovering, and feeling a little more adventurous, I thought I'd take the opportunity to pick up an adventure touring bike. I had enough equity in the Street Glide to buy something outright. I've often wondered where those dirt roads and trails would lead, as I've flown by on my various street bikes over the years...now I can find out!

After some research, I discovered the V85TT and kind of fell in love with the look. I've always wanted to try a Guzzi. So I started the search, and what should appear on Craigslist but a pristine 2020, with every possible accessory included, and only 3000 miles on the odometer! Such a deal - What could go wrong?! Well, about three hundred happy miles after acquiring this sexy beast, and mostly loving every mile (with the exception of the characteristic lack of top end power), she developed a misfire on the left cylinder. So I did the reasonable thing and ordered the scanner adapter plug from eBay and scanned for DTC's - No codes pending or stored. Okay. So then I checked the plugs and found the left plug was black and fouled from not firing correctly. Next I checked spark output, and found spark to the left cylinder was weak / erratic. Next I pulled the tank to access the ignition coils and spark plug wires and it was then that I found the smoking gun; a small tear / hole in the coil boot end of the spark plug wire (along with carbon tracking!). That was about four weeks ago...Still waiting for a set of spark plug wires from Italy - for just over $200.00. TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR SPARK PLUG WIRES??!! What did I get myself into?!

The next thing that happened was a truly pucker worthy moment. After I cleaned and reinstalled the spark plugs, the left side plug made a gut wrenching "CRUNCH"... the porcelain snapped right off and the threads stayed in the cylinder. %@!#&*)!!!! My Nephew suggested tapping a Torx bit into the spark plug threads and then attempting to extract, which worked like a charm! A T-40 Torx bit fit like a glove. So the new spark plugs are just waiting for those new wires from Italy (4-6 weeks).

Is this a typical initiation into the Moto Guzzi club?!

I might need someone to talk me off of the ledge - not sure how long this relationship is going to last... Thinking of getting another bike that I can actually ride while waiting for Guzzi parts. I really want to love this bike...

Marco_Guzzi
Sorry to hear you going through all of this but I think it's safe to say that many guzzisti have had their guzzi trouble free for the most part.
I got my 2018 V7 III Stone in July of 2020. Zero miles.
Here we are in 2022 with 22.000 trouble free miles

You may have just encountered a defective spark plug. Hopefully you weren't getting it over tight or there isn't an issue with the threads in the head. As to the split boot, Italian rubber isn't the best and may have been slightly damaged during assembly and it eventually failed.

Last edited:
Welcome.

You seem to have good mechanical prowess. To me, spark plug wires are something you make from generic, bulk parts. Don't know the particular part so I may be off base. Just know I sure would be trying to make something do instead of waiting months for a stupidly overpriced spark plug wire.

Hope you bike works well from now on.

The OP is such a wimpy whiner. :fubar:

JUST KIDDING! ;)

Seriously, despite my own (almost) trouble-free experience with my (newish) Guzzis, I am certainly sympathetic to those who encounter "issues."

As for the specifics here, what Sig. Malinoski said, above, is, IMO, spot on. This is especially true given the looming virtual shutdown of Italy in August, when those lovable folks put -- rather literally -- the "F" in the whole supply-chain fiasco that, as it now seems to be near perpetual, we can no longer label as a mere contretemps.

Depending on where and what in Italy, the "joke" can be real: In July, Italians talk about their August vacation; in August, they enjoy it; in September, thay tell others what they did in August. A bit of a stretch, but only a bit. And, funny ... unless one is expecting Mr. Brown to deliver spark plug wires.

It's why Todd noted in a recent GTM email that Italian suppliers won't ship in August.

Worse, you'll (eventually) get those and find that they were made in Guangdong!

Buon Ferragosto. :party:

Seriously -- tho all of that was -- welcome to Guzzidom. And, congratulations on that V85.

Bill

Welcome!

You are suffering from that which you do not know.

For everything Moto Guzzi that you need, try the STORE tab or the CONTACT option from within the store. Most everything you need or want, Todd (GTM) has on his shelves or can obtain way faster than most anyplace else. Prices are extremely competitive.

As for your spark plug, afraid that was operator error.

As a professional mechanic, I see firsthand literally every week, that Americans habitually cannot resist over-tightening everything and spark plugs are at the top of this list.

You don’t need to make plugs tight, only snug. In fact, once the sealing crush ring seats to the head, 1/16 - 1/8 of an additional turn is all that is required to seal the plug totally.

It was your over-tightening that snapped the porcelain insulator, not a defective plug.

I've seen the exact same thing many times...

Guzzi Broken Spark Plug 002

Guzzi Broken Spark Plug 003

Last edited:
You may have just encountered a defective spark plug. Hopefully you weren't getting it over tight or there isn't an issue with the threads in the head. As to the split boot, Italian rubber isn't the best and may have been slightly damaged during assembly and it eventually failed.
I'm thinking the same thing... if the misfire was partially due to a defective spark plug in addition to the bad wire. I just hope the problem is solved with this tune up, I'm ready to ride already!

Welcome!

You are suffering from that which you do not know.

For everything Moto Guzzi that you need, try the STORE tab or the CONTACT option from within the store. Most everything you need or want, Todd (GTM) has on his shelves or can obtain way faster than most anyplace else. Prices are extremely competitive.

As for your spark plug, afraid that was operator error.

As a professional mechanic, I see firsthand literally every week, that Americans habitually cannot resist over-tightening everything and spark plugs are at the top of this list.

You don’t need to make plugs tight, only snug. In fact, once the sealing crush ring seats to the head, 1/16 - 1/8 of an additional turn is all that is required to seal the plug totally.

It was your over-tightening that snapped the porcelain insulator, not a defective plug.
Thanks for the parts advice. And, as much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right about over tightening. I thought I was being careful, using a 1/4 drive, etc. but I guess I just don't know my own strength - Yes, let's go with that!

Thanks for the parts advice. And, as much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right about over tightening. I thought I was being careful, using a 1/4 drive, etc. but I guess I just don't know my own strength - Yes, let's go with that!
Sorry...

If you look at the photos I posted above, and your photo, you will see the exact same telltail sign, tool marks on the hex surface of the plug. If a spark plug is tightened correctly, there will be no tool marks on those surfaces. The tool marks appear from excessive tool pressure. FWIW: The tech at NGK taught me this.

Welcome to the fascinating world of Moto Guzzi!
A tool that I've found to be very handy is a torque wrench. I've used them to get the feel for how tight something should be. Once I've repeated a process several times with the torque wrench (replaced plugs, re-install 6mm screws etc) I get the sense for the recommended tightness. I like the way that works.
or... as my master used to tell me during apprenticeship... "Tighten it to 1/2 turn before it breaks." (Do NOT do that)

Hang in there. The Guzzi (IMHO) is a nice ride.

Alex

Sorry...

If you look at the photos I posted above, and your photo, you will see the exact same telltail sign, tool marks on the hex surface of the plug. If a spark plug is tightened correctly, there will be no tool marks on those surfaces. The tool marks appear from excessive tool pressure. FWIW: The tech at NGK taught me this.
You learn something new everyday!

Welcome to the fascinating world of Moto Guzzi!
A tool that I've found to be very handy is a torque wrench. I've used them to get the feel for how tight something should be. Once I've repeated a process several times with the torque wrench (replaced plugs, re-install 6mm screws etc) I get the sense for the recommended tightness. I like the way that works.
or... as my master used to tell me during apprenticeship... "Tighten it to 1/2 turn before it breaks." (Do NOT do that)

Hang in there. The Guzzi (IMHO) is a nice ride.

Alex
Thank you! I KNOW! It's one of those things where you know better...but then you think you actually KNOW BETTER. Back to the fundamentals.

Welcome.

You seem to have good mechanical prowess. To me, spark plug wires are something you make from generic, bulk parts. Don't know the particular part so I may be off base. Just know I sure would be trying to make something do instead of waiting months for a stupidly overpriced spark plug wire.

Hope you bike works well from now on.
Thank you. The wires seem pretty unique and specialized, with a long 90 degree on the spark plug side that goes inside of the cylinder head (hemi-style) and a short 90 degree on the coil side. I tried finding a close match at a few local auto parts stores without success. And, I really only want to do this repair once - so I decided against any temporary fixes with makeshift wires, etc. I sure hope the aftermarket steps up on this stuff. It's making me miss the Harley.

... regardless of whether they were overtightened (they were) the 'n' in 'ngk' stands for 'nagoya' not ... nnoto guzzi :D

I feel you on the parts availability, but you may be suffering from the dealer, not the oem. my experiences with dealers and parts has been similarly fraught. I recommend you make the 'store' tab above your first stop in the future, keeping in mind that virtually any part not listed is just an email away.

... regardless of whether they were overtightened (they were) the 'n' in 'ngk' stands for 'nagoya' not ... nnoto guzzi :D

I feel you on the parts availability, but you may be suffering from the dealer, not the oem. my experiences with dealers and parts has been similarly fraught. I recommend you make the 'store' tab above your first stop in the future, keeping in mind that virtually any part not listed is just an email away.
I've emailed the folks at the forum store above, very responsive! But parts were already ordered elsewhere.

UPDATE:

Last night I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires, (being mindful to not over tighten the spark plugs of course) AND...

She's running great! I'm so happy and relieved it wasn't anything more serious. And super excited to be riding again!!!

While the bike was apart I went ahead and installed the cat delete pipe that the previous owner had purchased.

Now it's time to research tuning / fueling products & methods. I'll be searching the forums as a first step!

Thanks for all of the support - great forum!

V85TT

Back