Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a pay to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the opinionated negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Getting the "SERVICE URGENT" error code

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Glenn Thorpe, Apr 30, 2018.

1. jbhotchkiss

jbhotchkiss Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

You're a lucky dog - wish I could ride over to Todd's shop. I can't complain though - he supports me remotely whenever necessary (fueling package), and his products are top-shelf (h-pipe, etc.). We're lucky to have him.

GT-Rx® and crzrdave like this.
  2. Dan Brooks

Dan Brooks Tuned and Synch'ed

There is no oil level warning light. Apparently jeeps are towed in all over the country to get 2quarts of oil added. Right after they die right in the middle of the road with no oil light and no codes cause it makes more sense To SOMEBODY.

3. CBJoe

CBJoe Tuned and Synch'ed

Very curious to hear about this. My guzzi has had the p0155 code of an on now for about 2 years. Only once it had the service message on while riding...usually its just when I turn the key. Dealer closed so closes shop to Indianapolis is Cincinnati...planning to take it there eventually.

Joe

4. Kevin Ballowe

Kevin Ballowe Tuned and Synch'ed

OK, here's the summary for my Brand-new (leftover 2016) Eldorado 1400 purchased 28 May 2019

June 07, 2019 - (850 miles) flashing red triangle and "URGENT SERVICE" message on instrument cluster and bike is in limp mode

June 08, 2019 - trailered bike to dealer and home. I tell them that it's the TPS sensor. They said that it's not "throwing a code". They replaced the oil sending unit (while I waited) and changed the oil and sent me on my way. Got home and let out one quart of oil from the overfilled crankcase and then rode all around and then the light and message came back again. Still riding bike and mostly able to clear the warning triangle by selective cycling of the ignition. The issue is semi-consistent.

June 26, 2019 - returned bike to dealer, as the error is consistent now. I ask them to replace the TPS sensor.

July 31, 2019 - They pulled, inspected, cleaned and re-connected all of the electrical connections. Twice. I asked them if they replaced the TPS sensor. "No". Get bike back from dealer and ride to the 800 mile round-trip Wisconsin rally. All is well until I get home and then the error is back.

Throughout all of this, there is some amount of discussion about the Moto Guzzi diagnostic software (PADS). I offer to bring my laptop and cables and they politely decline. I get that. Customers are typically NOT trained mechanics. It turns out they either had the wrong software or no software because when they did get the PADS correctly installed, then the bike was throwing the 0155 code (TPS sensor)

August 06, 2019 - Take bike back to dealer. They perform front brake recall and attempt to diagnose the existing error. I ask if they could PLEASE replace the TPS sensor.

September 25, 2019 - Pick up bike from dealer. They replaced the TPS (demand) sensor. Finally. Have ridden the bike every day since the 25th of September and it is behaving itself.

John L likes this.
  5. CBJoe

CBJoe Tuned and Synch'ed

Yep...wish I had pushed my dealer on that during the warranty period....unfortunately the dealer closed and warranty ran out while I dealt with the issue. now its gonna be out of pocket :banghead:

6. crzrdave

crzrdave Just got it firing!

Since I picked up my bike from Todd's shop, I've put on 1,600+ miles without an issue. This included a trip to Napa Valley. Todd replaced the sensor, cleaned the throttle body, and remedied the front end issue with new rotors and pads. I must say the bike acted like new and reminded me why I selected the California in the first place. So fortunate to have Todd's shop nearby!

GT-Rx® likes this.
  7. Kevin Ballowe

What was the front-end issue ?

8. crzrdave

crzrdave Just got it firing!

The bike had a serious pulsating issue with the front brakes. I had taken it to 2 franchised dealers while it was under warranty but the front brakes were never quite right. Just plain annoying when you're coming to a stop.

9. Kevin Ballowe

My 2014 Cali Custom and this 2016 Eldorado both do that. I had a Cali tour in here the other day and it was also like that. And a 2008 California Vintage.

Here's what I did, and it worked.

1. Get a pencil or other such instrument and stick it into the individual "buttons" on the brake rotors and then lightly spray brake cleaner while rotating the buttons. Be sure to cover everything else that shouldn't get sprayed. This cleans any gunk out of there that may be causing them to not fully "float"

2. Use 220 grit sandpaper to sand both sides of each rotor - but ONLY in the area of the brake pad engagement. It seems that the brake pads leave little uneven deposits. I also remove the brake pads and run them back and forth on some 220 grit paper, on a flat surface.

Having owned many, many different brands of motorcycles - It's interesting (to me) that I see this issue only on Moto Guzzi motorcycles.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

John L and crzrdave like this.
  10. Kevin Ballowe

OK, so this issue started at 850 miles and the bike has approx 3,600 miles on it now - and no further issues with the "URGENT SERVICE" message and warning triangle since they replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) AKA Demand Sensor.

It's running well, and certainly fun to ride.

But, it's November and so it got detailed and winterized and parked next to his little friend, the Yamaha Roadliner.

[​IMG]

crzrdave and John L like this.
  11. Glenn Thorpe

Glenn Thorpe Tuned and Synch'ed

Awesome looking bike! good to hear your problem seems to be solved. I replaced my TPS last summer and so far so good.

By the way, we lived in St Louis city back in the 90's in the Shaw neighborhood near Tower Grove Park. It was a great time but after all the drive by shootings and multiple other issues we had to move away :(

12. Kevin Ballowe

Thanks, Glenn.

I have to admit that I rode that bike both Saturday and Sunday and managed to waste three tanks of fuel. We had sunshine and 60's here and it was a great ride.

We are actually west of St. Louis about half an hour. But, we say "St. Louis" because nobody knows the location of Villa Ridge.
    :)