Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

Gloves, Heated Grips and Grip Puppies - Advice Requested

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by Mayakovski, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Morning All;

The temperature here has dropped and this morning was a chilly 3 degrees above zero ride to work. I have good Scorpion Exo insulated/waterproof groves, but they are not enough. I was planning on adding in heated grips, but I also use Grip Puppies to provide a more comfortable hand grip. So here is my question.

If I have grip puppies, and wear insulated gloves, am I going to actually feel the heat from heated grips? Or am I better off getting heated gloves?

What do you think?

Thanks
    Maya

Wildroamer likes this.
  2. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hey Maya,

On the Honda with nothing but *decent* gloves the season got un comfortable very quickly, I added some good Barkbusters and they made a huge difference.

The V7 came with heated grips and they do a great job but I tend to be holding the grips fiercely in an effort to get that warmth into my fingers... which are getting the brunt of the wind !

With something blocking the wind they would be perfect.

My vote would be the Puppies ( if they are the huge bar/ grip covers I’m imagining ) and heated grips...
    Or hand guards to block the wind and the heated grips.

Don

Wildroamer and Mayakovski like this.
  3. BrianR

BrianR Tuned and Synch'ed

I ride all year long here in Mission and the Lower Mainland and I prefer waterproof summer gloves (if you can find them) and heated grips, That way, you get the feel of thinner gloves and very effective use of the heated grips imho. Right now I'm using Held Gore-Tex gloves with a dual insert for venting in the summer and "waterproofness" in the wet,

4. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

I have Grip Puppies and I can still feel my heated grips but not as much as without them. I find my hands will still get cold on the outside of my fingers, the side not touching the grips.
    I have heated gloves for skiing and they are the greatest thing ever invented. Even at -20 C my hands are toasty warm. I would recommend heated gloves if you intend on riding a lot in cold weather. A heated vest is cozy too for longer rides.

Wildroamer, DeadEye and Mayakovski like this.
  5. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

Just returned from a ride to Squamish along the sea to sky hwy , nice but this 7 degree temp is not
    the fun I'm looking for ! Have a heated vest ( thank heaven for that ) and am going to be installing
    heated grips soon , (after a windshield) . Wore out 2 sets of hot grips on my Le Mans when I lived in
    St Pierre de Wakefield and commuted on that bike to work in Ottawa decades ago and they were
    the only heated devices I had . Also like the idea of hand guards , any suggestions for a 2018 Eldorado ?

Wildroamer likes this.
  6. Mayakovski

Wildroamer likes this.
  7. DeadEye

Now I see that grip puppies are Not what I first thought ( I was thinking of these )

Attached Files:

Mayakovski likes this.
  8. Bert Remington

Bert Remington Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

I used Grip Puppies with my Norge's heated grips and they worked well for getting the heat to my hands.

I just used Milwaukee Leather heated gloves on my V7 III without heated grips and hand guards and they worked until about 45F when the backs of my hands got cold. I was traveling at 4,000ft at 60mph wearing a two-piece Aerostich RoadCrafter Classic.

My winter plans are Koso heated grips (120mm seems to be the correct size for the V7 III), Grip Puppies, Aerostich insulated gauntlets with ML heated gloves as needed), and Aerostich heated vest (powered by standalone lithium battery because the V7 III alternator doesn't put out enough power for grips and vest combined). I'm expecting this will work for snow conditions in mountains behind San Diego (ie, about 30F).

I bought some cheap hand guards to see if I could live with them. So far I don't like them -- too constraining and distracting. If it turns out I can live with hand guards I'll upgrade to Barkbusters.

I don't have and won't have a windscreen -- esthetics.

The "Hippo Hands" DeadEye pictured are awesome --- if you can live with them. I used them many times four decades ago including Xmas trip to friends in Canada. Rain, snow, cold -- they just worked. But them were different times for me.

Mayakovski and Wildroamer like this.
  9. DeadEye

Hi Bert,

I’ve never used the Hippo Hands, I expect it would be a bit weird at first not seeing the controls.
    You know where everything is but I would still be glancing down expecting to see something...

Don

10. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

They worked best (decades ago ) on snowmobiles , one side a kill button the other a hi/lo switch . Peter

11. DeadEye

With the Gas and brake on the *Near* side ...

12. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Get heated gloves. You WILL feel the warmth from the heated grips (even with Grip Puppies), but the warmth will be in the wrong place. You need warmth on the tops of your fingers and hand. Only heated gloves can do that for you...

13. Mayakovski

Been thinking the same thing. Gloves it will be.

Raven likes this.
  14. Bert Remington

Bert Remington Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Mayakovski -- the Milwaukee Leather heated gloves can be powered by the lithium battery in the gauntlet or from your motorcycle via a Y-cable. I've only used the gauntlet batteries.

15. Mayakovski

I have seen those as well, and a colleague wears them and swears by them. They are in the running.

16. roadventure

P L U S ! ! ! Heated gloves can be used with ANY other motorcycle you may have now or in the future. ;)

Mayakovski likes this.
  17. Mayakovski

Or a cold hike up the mountain. :)

18. roadventure

Good point. Try doing THAT with heated grips!

Wildroamer, Moto-Uno and Mayakovski like this.