• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Goodbye to Guzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenko

Tuned and Synch'ed
Image Well, I gave it a go, and I enjoyed some of the Guzzi journey, but alas it's time to move on, back to Triumph pastures.
I finally gave up on the Guzzi after a horrendous tankslapper almost put me through a hedge at 60mph.
Yes, I'd checked my tyre pressures before riding. The suspension was set as best I could get it, but to be honest, even with the so called uprated Bitubo shocks, it's still crap. And the front forks? Worst I've ever come across.
The rear tyre is shot after only 2700 miles, and a lot of that was running the bike in, so not exactly hard riding. And apparently the rear wheel is a bitch to remove and refit.
The dealer network in the UK is shockingly bad. I usually service my own bikes, but as this is new, warranty, etc, I let a dealer touch it. Overfilled the gearbox and caused a leak. No courtesy bike either. Warranty fix on a weeping front brake reservoir? No problem sir, I'll just wipe it with a damp rag. Sorted. Really? This is a brand new machine. It shouldn't leak in the first place, should it?
So after spending money sorting out the exhausts (yes, I know I didn't really need to do that bit, it was a personal choice) but I did need to buy the remapping tool to sort out the constant stalling when cold.
If I'd have read this forum prior to buying the bike, I'd never have touched a Guzzi. Over-charging regulators, leaking bits, rear wheel removal nightmares, fuel tanks imploding, and so on.
I don't want to sound negative, but my old 750T was a much nicer bike, at a fraction of the cost.
The best part of my Guzzi experience was using this forum, so I'd like to thank you all for that.
Such a shame, cos I really wanted to love the bike, but it's not for me. The ride is way too harsh after about 50 miles, and It actually gets painful. I refuse to throw even more money at it, to sort out something that should be ok from the start.
Good luck with your rides, whatever badge you have on your tank.
Jenko,
Now the proud owner of a Triumph Thruxton Ace Cafe Special, as well as a Bonneville SE. The new Thruxton cost a pound less than the Racer, and comes with TOR exhausts and Triumph remap already done! I pick it up on Friday, just got to keep the Guzzi running til the dealer takes it off my hands!

Sorry to see you go, but I understand why. I'm just hoping that I don't suffer any of the problems you list. I bought the Guzzi because I got fed up with old British iron. I wanted something with a retro appearance and considered the Bonnie, but rejected it as it's no longer made in Britain.
Mine is a Special, and my riding style is as per my user name, so maybe I won't have the same issues.

All bikes have their quirks, some more than others. I'm hoping my situation sorts itself out as I love the V7 and believe it's one of the better looking retro café-styled bikes in today's market. I personally don't find the ride that harsh, but that's personal preference and riding style.

I can understand your frustration. I have a brand new Special, and I'm fixing an oil leak. Sure it's under warranty, but I chose to do it myself, and it's fixed now. I've owned a number of 90's era Ducati's, and they had their quirks too. Italian thing I guess..

I've owned new bikes, cars. And snowmobiles. Everyone has had problems when new and old. I can see where if your dealer sucks it would make it seem like a bigger deal then what problems usually are. And also if you can't turn a wrench that would not help the problem either. And when you read forums like this you will see ever problem that possibly can happen which is good to know. Google your new bike and I'm sure you would see. Good luck and happy riding.

Well....my V7 just gets better and better. Only 3000 miles on it but with a few simple mods the bike now handles and runs great, even on bumpy UK roads with my 70kg weight on it! My experience is that all bikes need a little fettling to get the best out of them.
The Guzzi chassis is well proven and does not have a reputation for tank slappers so if you really did get into one then something somewhere is wrong....maybe your shot rear tyre is the culprit?
Good luck with the Triumph.
AndyB

Funny, every new Bonnie I've had in my shop leaks oil on the floor, just like old times. I've heard an equal amount of issues with them as well. That said, any Euro twin is good in my book compared to a UJM or even Ducati these days IMO. That said, I have a new Thruxton R in my rental fleet now. Replaced the Griso 8V that had lack-luster rentals.
Enjoy and best of luck with it.

Handling issues on any SB V7 is suspension related. I keep hearing this, and you have to dig in (and often spend money) to resolve most often it on a "entry level priced" motorbike purchase. Been that way since well, forever.

Sucks you didn't enjoy your Guzzi as much as I do. I road those new Triumphs and they felt lackluster. You can get tank slappers on any bike, regardless of suspension, even on your new Triumph. I've had my own experiences with that as well. A steering damper helps but it can still happen. The rear wheel is no problem to take off. I can do it in the matter of minutes. The stock tires aren't the greatest. I went through mine in just under 5,000mi. I'm trying out Sportec Classics by Metzeler now. So far I really like them and I'm interested in seeing how many miles I get out of them. These bikes were sold with sub par suspension and exhaust. The seepy break resi happens. It's really not a big deal. Don't fill it so high and the problem should go away. New bikes can leak just like old ones. Gaskets are fairly cheap. Nothing to judge a bike over. Just get the gasket replaced for free since it's still under warranty. Just be thankful there aren't as many gaskets as a Harley.

I hope you enjoy your new ride. Take care.

Are you sure you're talking about a newer V7 Guzzi? I've never come across another report of a tank slapper on these bikes. Did you modify the suspension? I like my V7II Stone, but my attitude would change if I thought it would ever have a tank slapper.

Are you sure you're talking about a newer V7 Guzzi? I've never come across another report of a tank slapper on these bikes. Did you modify the suspension? I like my V7II Stone, but my attitude would change if I thought it would ever have a tank slapper.

I had a pretty gnarly tank slapper on my new v7II. I was going 90mph and hit some bumps on the freeway interchange. I thought I was going to go down but I was able to save it. I also get a good amount of front wheel wobble when hitting the twisties hard (80-100+mph). I'm in the process of saving up my pennies to get new front forks and rear shocks from Todd here soon as well as getting a steering damper fitted. And next time I pull the motor out, I'm planning on bracing up the frame a bit more in the way that Yoshimura race bikes were. I'm sure others were done too, but old Yosh built Katana's and CB's are all I had experience with.

I had a pretty gnarly tank slapper on my new v7II. I was going 90mph and hit some bumps on the freeway interchange. I thought I was going to go down but I was able to save it. I also get a good amount of front wheel wobble when hitting the twisties hard (80-100+mph). I'm in the process of saving up my pennies to get new front forks and rear shocks from Todd here soon as well as getting a steering damper fitted. And next time I pull the motor out, I'm planning on bracing up the frame a bit more in the way that Yoshimura race bikes were. I'm sure others were done too, but old Yosh built Katana's and CB's are all I had experience with.
90 mph on a freeway interchange? Ah, that explains it.

I ride 90mph everywhere I go on the highway. The bike loves being at 5.5g in 6th gear. And I don't like cars flying up from behind me.

I've owned new bikes, cars. And snowmobiles. Everyone has had problems when new and old. I can see where if your dealer sucks it would make it seem like a bigger deal then what problems usually are. And also if you can't turn a wrench that would not help the problem either. And when you read forums like this you will see ever problem that possibly can happen which is good to know. Google your new bike and I'm sure you would see. Good luck and happy riding.

I can turn a wrench, my first career was as an aircraft technician, which I did for 12 years. I just don't see why I should have to do that with a brand new bike. I'm not getting rid of it cos I can't fix it, I'm getting rid of it cos I don't want to keep spending money on it to fix things that shouldn't be broke in the first place!

Am I sure it's a new Guzzi? Gee, I'm not sure. I just walked into a motorcycle shop and pointed at a shiny one and bought it.
No I didn't modify the suspension, it's supposed to be already upgraded on he V7ii Racer. It's not the first time the tankslapper happened, but it gets pretty tiresome, very quickly. I've not had a bike do that to me since the late 80s.

Last edited:
I'm getting rid of it cos I don't want to keep spending money on it to fix things that shouldn't be broke in the first place!

If it's a new bike under warranty what money are you spending on fixing things? ...besides gas to get to the dealer

To go with my Norge, I've got a 2013 Thruxton - you're going to love it. Great bike, and rock solid at speed. Super stable, and very forgiving. With that being said, I now have 8,500 miles on my new Norge, and no problems. Do my own fluid changes, and just finally put a new set of tires on. For comfort with plenty of get up and go, the Norge can't be beat.

Side note, I was just in the UK on vacation, and finally made it to the National Motorcycle Museum. What a treat. Spectacular. Not far from you?

Good luck with your new Triumph.

If it's a new bike under warranty what money are you spending on fixing things? ...besides gas to get to the dealer

It's over an hour to the dealer, through Dudley, 20 miles of 30mph limits and dozens of speed cameras and traffic jams. The money I'd be spending would be on upgrades to suspension which I think should work anyway.

To go with my Norge, I've got a 2013 Thruxton - you're going to love it. Great bike, and rock solid at speed. Super stable, and very forgiving. With that being said, I now have 8,500 miles on my new Norge, and no problems. Do my own fluid changes, and just finally put a new set of tires on. For comfort with plenty of get up and go, the Norge can't be beat.

Side note, I was just in the UK on vacation, and finally made it to the National Motorcycle Museum. What a treat. Spectacular. Not far from you?

Good luck with your new Triumph.
Yeah, I went a few years ago. Brilliant place. Thanks for the positive comments.

I bailed out of my V7 also. Had nothing but trouble with the bike and could not remain keeping it. Sold it fast within a couple weeks and picked up a 2016 Honda 500F model. Also own 2007 Triumph Bonneville with 37,000 miles since new and never have had an issue with the bike. Have already put 5,000 trouble free miles on the Honda.

I will never ever buy another Guzzi. Worst experience I ever had.

Wish all luck on this forum and thanks for the help when I needed it so many times.

Farewell.

I bailed out of my V7 also. Had nothing but trouble with the bike and could not remain keeping it. Sold it fast within a couple weeks and picked up a 2016 Honda 500F model. Also own 2007 Triumph Bonneville with 37,000 miles since new and never have had an issue with the bike. Have already put 5,000 trouble free miles on the Honda.

I will never ever buy another Guzzi. Worst experience I ever had.

Wish all luck on this forum and thanks for the help when I needed it so many times.

Farewell.

That shocked me, I thought you were a die hard Guzzi-ist. Good luck with your new bikes, especially the Bonnie. I love mine. Did Route 66 on one a few years ago and came home and bought one. Now bought a Thruxton as well.
I think it's such a shame that Guzzi can't sort out their quality issues and dealership problems, cos when you ride a sorted Guzzi, they're fantastic.
I wouldn't say the Guzzi is the worst bike I've owned, that accolade goes easily to Ducati!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back