• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Got Salt?

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
So I did my Bonneville thing and now have Porco Rosso appart. I am swapping out carbs to test out some ideas. I looked at the VHB30's I used, and, since I covered them right after the final run, I figured they didn't need no time in the sonic cleaner.

Gotsalt2.jpg

hmmmmm I guess I figured wrong.

Alex

I'm taking apart my PHF36s at the moment because their gummy and dirty , scrubbing every corner trying to get the dirt out ....... lets just say you made my day! :D ;)
That's amazing how the salt get in the bowl ....

Holy crap!
Didn't figure your bike being THAT salty.

We have similar conditions .... on cars .....in the winter.
The city salts the roads cause of icy conditions, but more and more their switching to sand for the environmental reasons.

You really got some work cut-out. (Hats off to you) :cheer:

Hey Dan,

I can relate to your winters somewhat. I grew up in Chicago.

chisnow67.jpg

Does the sand work as well as salt? It gets below effective temps for salt up there doesn't it?

Bbbrrrrrrr.

Is your garage/shop heated? My 1st bike builds were in an unheated garage....

Best to ya this winter!

Alex

They have added a new wrinkle to the sand and salt mix here in Western NC, pre-treat the roads before the storm with a brine solution. :shock:

Bill

oldmanjob said:
They have added a new wrinkle to the sand and salt mix here in Western NC, pre-treat the roads before the storm with a brine solution. :shock:

Bill

Lovely stuff isn't Bill!? I have gone on rides attempting to beat the approaching winter storms only to be Baptised in that crap. Ruined options on several still sunny and relatively warm, winter days. Howz the season been in Apple Land this year?

Cheers

0123101547.jpg

0221101157.jpg

Tonerjockey said:
Hey Dan,
I can relate to your winters somewhat. I grew up in Chicago.
chisnow67.jpg

Does the sand work as well as salt? It gets below effective temps for salt up there doesn't it?
Bbbrrrrrrr.
Is your garage/shop heated? My 1st bike builds were in an unheated garage....
Best to ya this winter!
Alex

I have the bikes in a heated garage ....well about 10ºF in the dead of winter.... which is OK. :)
Your picture looks like one taken from the seventies ..... I was 10 back then ..... I'll never forget.
Wiki quote :"The 1970-1971 winter season was the worst on record for many areas of eastern Ontario and southern Quebec in terms of all-time snowfall records. Ottawa had received up to 444 centimeters of snow (177.6 inches) that year and Montreal just over 380 centimeters (152 inches), records that were nearly broken during the 2007-08 season when Ottawa received 436 centimeters (174.4 inches) and Montreal 375 centimeters (150 inches). Quebec City also received had their worst season in 1970-71 with 460 centimeters (184 inches) before it was broken in 2007-08 when just over 500 centimeters (200 inches) fell"

Like Bill mentioned they mix sand and salt ....... for us at very low temperature (-0ºF to -20ºF) salt only is useless.
This pic was taken in my back yard on Feb 2008.
To give you an idea the fence in the middle of the pic is 4ft high ...... Salt ain't gunna help here. :lol:

Cheers

Attachments

• Back Yard Scene.jpg
    Back Yard Scene.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 888
Winter ... gotta love it!

The picture I posted was from 1967. I was in high school and I remember BIG SNOW!!! My folks got caught in a drift on the highway from Vegas and my Dad shoveled out the car with a hubcap. The things ya do when ya have to eh? Remember hub caps?

In the 70's I remember that the snow was so deep that I couldn't throw it any higher when shoveling out a path to the alley.

Now I live out my dotage in San Jose Ca. VERY liveable indeed.

Best of the season to all ya'all... I am headed to Koh Samui Thailand ...

Alex

those photos are awesome specially the snow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm so excited with snow.

i got wonder if they have a motor race during snow season?

Back