• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Greetings from Bahrain

Big J

Just got it firing!
Hi guys, first post here.
I'm a Scot, currently living in the middle east. Have a V11 back in Ireland where I lived for 12 years, but I got a hell of a deal on a 2010 Griso, never been ridden,in the dealer so went for it. Some pics-

Just want to say, I was a regular on V11lemans.com, but hadn't been on for ages. Lots of personal shit I wont get into, however, since singning back in, it was like being back home again. Pete Roper was, as always, an inspiration and the old timers made me feel that same old glow.
Guzzitech as it is now didnt exist back then, it was more of a reference library. I had a PC111 from Todd back in maybe 2003 and it made a real difference to my V11. I still wear my old Guzzitech t shirt with pride, Todd has really done well in doing the development work the factory should have done, with of course the help of the Guzzista! I've got a VDST thing coming from Todd and I reckon I'll be spending most of my pennies in the Guzzitech shop fairly soon. Many thanks to Todd and all here, with a particular mention for Pete Roper.the old curmudgeon.
Anyhow, just wanted to say hello,

John

Hi John,
Werlcome aboard from that other dry and barren land (except when it floods ;) )
Looks like you need knobbies in those photos, unless that's the world's biggest beach.

Thanks Ghezzi, it's nice down in the desert just now, not too hot although it'll be a different story in a month or so.
First impressions of the bike- it vibrates a fair bit due to the dealer not having a synchronising tool. I've ordered one and with the VDST tool I can synch the throttle bodies and reset the tps. It's noisy, not obtrusively so, but there's quite a nice jingly jangling going on at around 2500-3000 rpm. It's quite musical really. The box clonks quite loudly going into every gear except top but I expect as the miles mount up it'll quiet down. Or not.
Handling is fine given that there isnt one decent twisty road here and the brakes are excellent.
It's quite a change from the V11, mine was a peach, smooth as silk with silent changes and power enough after the Mistral cans, drilled airbox, PC111 went on.
Overall I'm very pleased with it, it doesnt pull at my heartstrings the way looks of the V11 did but it's a different kind of bike. I think I'll try to fit some kind of bikini fairing on next. I see that many guys have done so and I like the look of some of them.

Hey John
Nice bike.
I have its little brother the 1100 and its a ball to ride.
As a Mr Roper said and I call my by the same.
It's a hoon tool which brings a smile to my face every time I ride it.
Enjoy.

No need for a lawn mower over there hey :D

Harry in OZ

A bit more time with the Griso and I bet it pulls on your heart strings as hard, if not harder than the V11 did!
Congrats!

Quick update- I've now got just shy of 1000 kms on the bike. I'll put her in for a service shortly, in the meantime I've been doing a little bit of tinkering myself.

Clutch- there was no noticeable free play so I adjusted the plunger. It still bites very far out, next job will be to try bleeding it and see if it makes a difference.

Tappets, checked and reset at 750 kms, the two inner inlets were slightly loose strangely, one exhaust had opened up a little, however nothing to worry about I believe. I also had a look at the axial play in the rocker arms, it varies between 0.3mm to 0.45mm. This is, I reckon, the source of the rattling from the top end, most noticeable between 2000- 3000 rpm. It rather reminds me of an old VW Beetle, that whistling clatter that they had. I'm not concerned about it at present although sometime in the future I may machine the shafts a little and insert some shims to quieten it a bit.

Throttle cable adjusted to remove free play.

Played about with the fork and damper settings, turns in better now.

Gearbox, still bangs away like I'm using a sledgehammer to shift. Change up- CLANG! Change down, CLANG clack. I've tried every variation of timing and technique I can think of but nothing seems to make any difference. Given that my V11's box was smoother than an Italian playboy at a college disco, it's a bit disappointing. I wonder if, with the clutch not engaging til the lever is quite far out, if the clutch itself isn't disengaging properly, dragging slightly. Between that and the CARC banging away as well, filtering through traffic is a bit of a chore.

I've found some 10w-60 oil, Castrol Edge, so that'll be going in, also have some Heavy Shockproof coming for the trans and final drive.

The Carbtune arrived, just waiting for the VDST tool and I'll synch the throttle bodies and reset the tps.

I reckon I'll have maybe another month of the riding season before it becomes too hot. It's around 36-38C at the moment and when you're stuck in traffic, the motor gets pretty toasty. Shortly it'll be around 50C during the day, too warm for this boy with winter in his blood, so I'll begin the planned improvements then-

She runs lean and hot, so I'll invest in a PC5 and optimiser. And a loud pipe.

If I can, I'll remove the clutch pushrod and see if I can get a longer one to change the engagement point.

Otherwise, the bike is good. She's no V11, but bloody good all the same. :D

Big J said:
.......I've found some 10w-60 oil, Castrol Edge, so that'll be going.......

That's not motorcycle oil!!!!
It is used in BMW cars mostly and it's not SG rating but SN. Bad news.
You need SG for motorcycles, why? Because motorcycle engines have more friction essentially (especially the 8V Guzzi) than cars where those engines are roller set up etc... They can get away with government imposed crappy oils.
If you're gonna use Castrol, at least get Castrol Actevo (but I still wouldn't) for your bike if not you're gonna be another guy blaming Guzzi over poor maintenance.

Back