• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gremlins Have Gone

double.d

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have always had the problem of my fuel reserve light comming on with 6 litres left in the tank, around 180klm. Well, the last 3 rides i have had the light has been comming on when it should, with 3ltr and around 230klm on the clock. I have also noticed that fuel usage, which was always around 6.1-4l/100 has now dropped to 5.4 l/100. This figure would be the best as i tested it for 40klm at no more than 110kph.

What stats are you getting on your 1100 ?.

My 1100 used to get same as yours 6.1 to 6.4 l per 100 as long as I was being *sensible*.

You may find the improved consumption is is down to the hot weather. Have you done the 'Pack the temp sensor' trick yet?

Pete

>>Pack the temp sensor' trick

More information on this one, svp.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack

I thought I'd covered this a zillion times before? Perhaps it was on the old board.

The engine temperature sensor sits in a plastic holder in the back of the RH head. The problem is that in most cases there is an air gap between the end of the ETS and the material of the head. Air is a superb insulator, that's why double glazing is so effective and why we wear clothes:laugh: .

Problem is in this circumstance you don't want the ETS insulated. It is very easy to check this with Axone or the VDST system as the engine temperature is displayed for you. In many, most, cases you'll find that even when the cylinder head is so hot that your finger will sizzle if you stick your finger on it adjacent to the ETS the tool will show that the ETS is showing that the motor is much, much cooler Quite often not even registering 50*C even when the head itself is finger-sizzlingly hot!

Since the ECU uses the engine temperature as one of the main inputs for adjusting the mixture this low reading will lead to the ECU artificially enrichening the mixture because the ECU still sees the engine as 'Cold'. It is, effectively, like riding around with the choke on all the time!

I've found that removing the sender from the plastic housing and adding some sort of thermal paste, I use zinc based anti seize, to the holder before screwing it in again CAREFULLY as if you do it too fast and any excess can't escape it will tend to crack the holder hydraulicly. (I also leave it a bit loose and then warm the motor up thoroughly after installation as this allows the excess to creep up out past the threads as it expands. when very hot you can then screw it fully home.) allows far better heat conduction to the sensor and a far more accurate temperaure reading and therefore lower fuel consumption.

Let it be noted that various people have 'Pooh-poohed' this idea but it seems that with the newer motors, most specifically my 8V, even though the sensor has been moved to the engine block it is now seemingly dipped in thermal paste at the factory as when I PD's mine it already had some on!!!!! Also the tool doesn't lie the ECU does think the engine is cold.

There is also available a brass sensor holder that can replace the POS plastic one. This is a worthwhile upgrade and is far less likely to crack as the paste heats up but I'd still suggest using the paste even with that. The whole idea is to get the tip oif the sensor to sit in a 'Deep fat fryer' rather than an air pocket!!!!!

Pete

The engine temp sensor is often installed in such a way that it tries to measure the temperature as if from geosynchronous orbit (meaning it doesn't make proper contact with the engine wall). Thence, the ECU gets to believe the engine is cooler than it really is, and adds more fuel. The trick is to take the sensor and its holder out, fill the hole with some thermo-conductive paste (the same stuff Apple slathered its 1st series of Intel laptops in), and reinstall the sensor.

pete roper wrote:
My 1100 used to get same as yours 6.1 to 6.4 l per 100 as long as I was being *sensible*.

You may find the improved consumption is is down to the hot weather. Have you done the 'Pack the temp sensor' trick yet?

Pete

Pete, no i have not done the temp sensor thing yet, the bike seems to be running perfect ( but one always requires more grunt) so i have not seen the need. But on your insistance i will have a go;)

The past few times i have ridden it has been early in the morning and i am always back by lunchtime so the air temp has never been above 22c on those occasions, and the morning starts out at around 12c. I will be riding less over summer now cause it is just to hot and uncomfortable:blink: , this heat sends me a bit :silly: .

It just seems like a tech issue to me because of the fuel light fixing itself, or its the fact that the little quirks that the factory put into their bikes to see if i will stick by them ( are you a real Guzzi enthusiast ) are past their use by date and i have passed.

Hey, the factory started testing my enthusiasm 23 years ago:huh: and i have not given up yet, so leave me alone now and go pick on someone else :p .

Back