• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 1200 8v Blows Fuse B on Start

NickSzasz

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello! I have a Griso 8v 1200 (2008) and years ago I had a problem with the "B" fuse blowing out when I tried to start the bike. It did this every once in awhile and then the problem would disappear. My mechanic tried to find the cause but couldn't. Fortunately it just went away.

It was always the same fuse - B - Tail lights, license plate light, passing, ignition relay (15 A).

The problem has started again - and t's not going away. 6 months ago I switched in a new battery. I have cleaned the battery leads. I have 2 accessories on the bike, GPS and a highway toll radio pass unit. Both were installed after the problem came up the first time, and not thought to be related.

I'm about to ask my mechanic to try to find the cause again, but before I do I thought I'd ask if other Griso owners had similar problems with FUSE B, and what the cause turn out to be.

Thanks in advance!

Nick, good hearing from you here.

I suspect the ignition circuit is the likely culprit; a resistance issue in the starter circuit. As a quick fix, try a bigger fuse (band aid for now), and if nothing else, clean and inspect the wiring circuit from the battery, +/- to the back of the starter stud for ground, and even consider the direct to starter wiring noted here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/196/4908

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the info Todd.

Will use that info when I meet my mechanic.

BTW - one more quick question: is it OK to bump start a Griso? I was running low on 15a fuses and a long, long way from any stores. So the other day I'd put the bike in 3rd and with a little push it would start quite easily. I don't want to be doing this often, but is it ok to do - or is it harmful.

Thanks,
Nick

I have done it a few times with no issues. And I can't imagine an issue it would cause as long as the battery had enough voltage to run the ECU.

Your problem will be cured by the wiring mod detailed above, it's a well known issue affecting just about every Guzzi on the planet.
From experience you will need a 30 Amp fuse in there as a temporary measure to avoid it blowing.

To cure this problem is very easy.
There is no need to modify the electrics in any way. This is mearly working around the problem.
First remove the Starter motor, then remove the 3 screws holding the solenoid to the
starter.
Disconnect the electrical connections and pull the solenoid body free.
Thoroughly clean inside the soleniod bore and the plunger body. Lubricate
the surfaces before re-assembling the solenoid.
You need to be carefull with the lubricant you use, a small amount of WD40
will be sufficient... not oil. Although I have used a little smear of Molybdenum paste
(ROCOL Anti-scuffing-Paste)
...just enough to colour the surfaces.
Re-assemble everything and away you go.

This may need doing periodically, I have a 2008 Griso, owned from new, and this is the second time I have
done this, but it is very simple and quick to do.

That is a part of the issue, I found quite sticky grease on the solenoid internals and cleaned and oiled it instead, but the wiring mod is also essential in my opinion if reliable starting is always required.

Thanks for all the replies. If it's such a prevalent issue I'm sure my mechanic will know what to do, and with this feedback I'll be able to make a decision with more confidence - thanks everyone!

Unrelated - but here's a recent shot of my bike in Japan

Attachments

• 998415_10151535153813443_1048167102_n.jpg
    998415_10151535153813443_1048167102_n.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 328
Back