• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 8V crashbar, anyone? The Stucchi one sucks!!!

beetle said:
Do those things actually work? My Griso fell off it's stand when gravel gave way under it. The left valve cover was scratched and gouged, mirror bent and gear lever pin busted. Those things look like they would bend. Would they have saved my valve cover or broken it?

Depends on how hard it goes down, of course, but my Stucchis seem sturdy. I bought them because of the same kind of drop you had. My Griso fell on its right side at walking speed in gravel. I'm pretty sure the valve cover would be protected if it happened again. I also saw photos in someone else's post of a valve cover that had been holed from sliding down the road, and enough grit and gravel got in that the engine required extensive work.

On the other hand, there are some who point out that the crash bars cost more than the valve covers and say the possibility of frame damage makes them a potentially losing proposition.

As with so many other topics on this forum, asking a simple question gets complicated answers and no shortage of conflicting opinions.

Update to the new designed Stucchi Griso 8V Crash Bars that I installed last November.

I've had them installed for 10 months, 20k miles, and two valves checks.

Within the first couple thousand miles one of the triangular screens had fallen off and one of the bars had loosened at the front.
Fortunately the triangular screen had fallen off in the driveway with it's screw still attached.
So I reinstalled it; and it has stayed in place ever since. (18k miles ?)
And the loose bar I fixed by buying the proper tool; a long, ball ended, hex bit socket set.
I was then able to properly re-torque the mounting bolts for each bar.
They've also stayed in place the past 18k miles.

During valve checks; the valve covers can be removed without having to remove or loosen the bars.
However it is somewhat tricky to maneuver valve covers out from behind the bars. Especially the left side.
But it can be done.

So it appears these new design bars are much improved over the original design.
If they survive until next Spring without any issues; then I'll convinced they will last the life of my Griso. (10yrs, 300k miles ?)

--ET

Hey I unfortunately tested these bars at a track day on Tuesday! They worked great at protecting the engine. Impact at 30mph or so in the gravel down on right side. Wind screen was ripped half but bars did not bend. With the money! I will post some pics once I get out of the hospital tomorrow.

Hey I unfortunately tested these bars at a track day on Tuesday! They worked great at protecting the engine. Impact at 30mph or so in the gravel down on right side. Wind screen was ripped half but bars did not bend. With the money! I will post some pics once I get out of the hospital tomorrow.
Doh, hope you and the bike heal fast!
I now have my GTM version on the Store; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-griso-crash-bars

Todd that Tonys Track Day attendees loved the bike and yes I was using the new version from Stuchhi but I agree with switch to Hepco and Becker.......that is the impact zone on a lay down.

Bike will be fine just cosmetic stuff. I do recommend that everybody consider adding bars!

New owner here, gingerly getting to know this beast. I bought these crash bars but when I looked at where they are supposed to
be bolted up I decided I needed some wisdom. So, I see that the front bolts and the long rear bolt appear to hold up the engine.
I expect that the best thing to do is support the engine, I have a hydraulic lift for that.
Also, the rear brake reservoir needs to be removed and the starter cover, all doable.
What I need to know is, will I have a difficult time getting these bolts back in? Is the engine going to move on me?
Obviously, some of you have done this, so tell me how it went. Easy or nightmare?

Thanks

Don't want to break anything while we get to know each other...

New owner here, gingerly getting to know this beast. I bought these crash bars but when I looked at where they are supposed to
be bolted up I decided I needed some wisdom. So, I see that the front bolts and the long rear bolt appear to hold up the engine.
I expect that the best thing to do is support the engine, I have a hydraulic lift for that.
Also, the rear brake reservoir needs to be removed and the starter cover, all doable.
What I need to know is, will I have a difficult time getting these bolts back in? Is the engine going to move on me?
Obviously, some of you have done this, so tell me how it went. Easy or nightmare?

Thanks

Don't want to break anything while we get to know each other...

If I recall correctly.

The Stucchi instructions (at least first generation) indicated replacing the transmission (long bolt) by itself first.
And then replacing each of the front bolts one at a time.

I made a point to keep a jack supporting the motor throughout the entire process of installing the bars.
And even using a jack; the front bolts did not line up perfectly.
Possibly because the jack didn't keep pressure and slowly dropped a little bit.
Just had to pump the jack to get the front bolts to align better.

Removing the rear brake reservoir was a little time consuming.
But only because with my wrenches I was loosening and tightening it's hard-to-reach bolt/nut 1/4 turn at a time.

I encountered a little bit of an annoyance with the starter cover.
One of it's screws that secures into a stud bolt behind the cover was so tight.
That loosening the screw actually resulted in loosening the stud bolt.
And reinstalling that stud bolt took a little time trying to get it to line up without dropping it's related washer.

Even with these little annoyances. I think it took me less than 1/2 hour.

Thanks Et
The Current instructions indicate nothing more than what the bars look like. I can proceed with more confidence now.

But only because with my wrenches I was loosening and tightening it's hard-to-reach bolt/nut 1/4 turn at a time.

What wrench did you use for the brake reservoir bolt. Is it metric?

What wrench did you use for the brake reservoir bolt. Is it metric?

Yes it is metric.
I remember having to remove the rear brake reservoir from it's plastic holder/clamp.
It is only a Phillips screw holding the reservoir in the clamp.

And then to remove the holder/clamp. I had to bend it out of the way so I could use a small box end wrench on it's bolt that held it on the frame.
I don't recall the exact size of the bolt. But I know it was less than 10mm. Perhaps a 7mm or 8mm ?

Hope that helps.

--ET

I used an 8mm wrench for the Brake reservoir bolt, had to shorten my wrench to get it in there. Everything mounted up just fine, unfortunately I found that the left bar is too close to the cylinder (1/8th inch) so its coming off to be returned. The bend is not quite right. I do like the way they look and they are very robust. I expect them to protect the bike in a tip over, a serious crash will require my insurance co. to fix it, and me...

Will you be asking for replacements or a refund ?
MG sent me a replacement bar and it is a bit better. I wrote Stucci and got this reply:

Dear customer

this misalignment is normal to ensure the maximum space for the rider's legs

the crashbar have just been tested for normal crash with very good result .Only Be sure to have place the rubber seals in the correct way.

We are available for any support

Best regards

So. I give up, I will make sure I have a "normal" crash.

Bumping an old thread. Why there are so few options and so expensive. $260 for H&B for a set of tiny bars is too much

Back