• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso backfiring a lot on engine breaking/ overrun

Peakguzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi

My Griso (1100) seems to be backfiring a lot lately. I fitted a second hand Termignoni exhaust a while back and there was a slight backfire but not like now. The valve timing has been done recently and has not made a difference (maybe even worse). The backfiring does not seem to be any better with the silencer in or out. I have also tried a Boosterplug which is meant to help. Also made no difference (again maybe even worse).

Any ideas ? What else can I try.? Is it a mapping issue ?

Thanks for any help you can give

Cheers

Well covered here. If you still have the evaporative cannister intake leak, plug that. Then fix the mapping via my option in the Store tab above under fueling.

Hi Todd. You said well covered here. Do you mean on the forum or do you have a specific link.

Thanks. Will look at the store in the meantime

Cheers

Make sure you have no exhaust leaks.

If this is something that has just popped up (no pun intended) then something may have changed in your set up.

Leaks in the exhaust joints, loose exhaust to head connections can do this.

Mine use to pop quite a bit, specially on down change. The last service it was remapped and is much better. Serviced every 5-6,000 ks since new by Guzzi dealer. Now on 27,000ks. (Zard exhaust)

One other thing. I've had my 1200 Sport remapped for a long time and it runs great. However the popping crept back in.

I found that by turning off the stepper motor I could reduce/eliminate the exhaust popping. This was really quite popular for a while and I purchased a kit to do this electronically from Todd back in the day. After getting the remap done the popping disappeared so I sold my kit. After the popping crept back in I spent a lot of time taking the exhaust apart and checking for leaks as well as a lot of other things that have been discussed through the years.

Eventually I bought a valve to put in the line between the stepper and the air box that I could reach down and shut off. I open it up for fast idle when cold and within a block I can reach down and turn it off. I know when it's time to shut it off as I can hear the popping on decel. With the stepper shut off I get virtually no popping at all and I'm very pleased with it. If Todd were to begin making the kit again I would consider purchasing it in order to get rid of my valve but this actually works well.

My Stelvio pops/bangs a bit on the overrun, but I like it.

You wouldn't want your Guzzi to sound like a BMW now, would you?

Back