RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

griso info

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by Fran Kelleher, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Fran Kelleher

Fran Kelleher Just got it firing!

can somebody educate me on the cam issues of the earlier 8 cam engines & when this was sorted. Are the tappets lock nut & screw or shims. Mine is a 2016 model and I want to keep it right. Also where is the best place in the uk to get some parts & accessories. I am a mechanic and will be doing all the work myself

2. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

The cam problem was sorted by 2016, so your safe. Think it was 2012 when they started correcting the issue.

The lifters have a DLC (diamond like coating) that fails from the cam constantly impacting the lifter face. Once it fails maintaining the clearances will be impossible.
    The update replaces the cambox assembly, with new cam and roller lifters.

The valves are screw and locknut.

3. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

As I recall, they started using the roller lifters sometime back in 2012. So you should, as mentioned, be fine. But you can actually see when you remove the valve covers that there are roller lifters hidden in the heads.
    The DLC coating was a feeble attempt to fix a design issue with the flat tappets, and it failed horribly. DLC coatings on tappets can be a good thing, for example with the Aprilia XV motor the switch to a DLC coating was a good thing. But a DLC coating isn't going to fix a problem caused by bad design. They got something wrong, personally I suspect it had to do with the valve spring rates being too high. They went from tappets that had a single valve spring pushing back on them to tappets that had two valve springs pushing back on them, so they had to adjust the spring rates used. The two smaller valves per side / tappet should have had two smaller springs to go with them. But it may be that Guzzi did not reduce the rate of the smaller springs enough to keep the tappets happy. Guzzi has made similar errors in the past.

Adam Davis likes this.
  4. Fran Kelleher

Many thanks for this info. On another note, I am looking for a more upright riding position on my griso as it is killing my hips. What are the options for lower footpegs & higher bars or risers. While I am at it also a small fairing to break the wind. Does anyone have any of this gear for sale

5. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Google Knight Designs for pegs. I used to sell them. 1” drop is max for the least complexity.

I sell bar risers and/or the Tour bars below - either fit with no cable/line issues.
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-rx-cnc-bar-risers
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/lsl-handlebars-tourbars

7. Hugh

Hugh Just got it firing!

Why not make the peg lowers yourself ? I did this 3 yrs ago for long distance riding and 1 inch drop made all the difference for comfort - no other changes were needed. IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1904.JPG

8. Fran Kelleher

9. Fran Kelleher

Hi Hugh
    Many thanks for reply, they look great. How did you make them? You must have access to a milling machine or some other machine shop equipment

10. Hugh

Hugh Just got it firing!

No special equipment just good quality alluminium billet , hacksaw/file/drill and old hangers from an 1100 sporti.