Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

griso info

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by Fran Kelleher, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Fran Kelleher

Fran Kelleher Just got it firing!

can somebody educate me on the cam issues of the earlier 8 cam engines & when this was sorted. Are the tappets lock nut & screw or shims. Mine is a 2016 model and I want to keep it right. Also where is the best place in the uk to get some parts & accessories. I am a mechanic and will be doing all the work myself

2. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

The cam problem was sorted by 2016, so your safe. Think it was 2012 when they started correcting the issue.

The lifters have a DLC (diamond like coating) that fails from the cam constantly impacting the lifter face. Once it fails maintaining the clearances will be impossible.
    The update replaces the cambox assembly, with new cam and roller lifters.

The valves are screw and locknut.

3. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

As I recall, they started using the roller lifters sometime back in 2012. So you should, as mentioned, be fine. But you can actually see when you remove the valve covers that there are roller lifters hidden in the heads.
    The DLC coating was a feeble attempt to fix a design issue with the flat tappets, and it failed horribly. DLC coatings on tappets can be a good thing, for example with the Aprilia XV motor the switch to a DLC coating was a good thing. But a DLC coating isn't going to fix a problem caused by bad design. They got something wrong, personally I suspect it had to do with the valve spring rates being too high. They went from tappets that had a single valve spring pushing back on them to tappets that had two valve springs pushing back on them, so they had to adjust the spring rates used. The two smaller valves per side / tappet should have had two smaller springs to go with them. But it may be that Guzzi did not reduce the rate of the smaller springs enough to keep the tappets happy. Guzzi has made similar errors in the past.

Adam Davis likes this.
  4. Fran Kelleher

Many thanks for this info. On another note, I am looking for a more upright riding position on my griso as it is killing my hips. What are the options for lower footpegs & higher bars or risers. While I am at it also a small fairing to break the wind. Does anyone have any of this gear for sale

5. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Google Knight Designs for pegs. I used to sell them. 1” drop is max for the least complexity.

I sell bar risers and/or the Tour bars below - either fit with no cable/line issues.
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-rx-cnc-bar-risers
    https://gtmotocycles.com/products/lsl-handlebars-tourbars

7. Hugh

Hugh Just got it firing!

Why not make the peg lowers yourself ? I did this 3 yrs ago for long distance riding and 1 inch drop made all the difference for comfort - no other changes were needed. IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1904.JPG

8. Fran Kelleher

Hi Hugh
    Many thanks for reply, they look great. How did you make them? You must have access to a milling machine or some other machine shop equipment

9. Hugh

Hugh Just got it firing!

No special equipment just good quality alluminium billet , hacksaw/file/drill and old hangers from an 1100 sporti.

10. Fran Kelleher

Thank you guys for all the info, I have fitted handlebar risers, made similar lowered pegs & fitted a small Puig wind deflector which all made a big difference particularly on long journeys.

I have one more question.
    I have just fitted a GT-Rx CNC Givi Tanklock Bag ring to my bike. My concern is that the filler cap sits a bit higher and requires a good pull down on the four allen bolts to hopefully seal it against the rubber seal compared to standard. I am worried that it is putting undue stress on the tank/mounting threads and also concerned that if it is not fully seated could allow water to get in to the tank particularly when washing the bike. Has anybody fitted one of these to a a 2016 Griso SE and had any issues

Any advise greatly appreciated
    Fran Kelleher