• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Lemonising question.

Fergo

Just got it firing!
After 25 or so years of clip-ons and rear sets I have bought a 2V Griso. The reason for this is pragmatic; I'd really much rather have another Le Mans II, but they're hard to find nowadays (in Oz) and I've managed to destroy two in the last six months, making them harder again to find by two. The second one I only had on the road a short time before it self-imolated, but that's another story all together.

Point is, that rather than be without a going bike while I either try to find another LM II or finish rebuilding the wreck of my first, I've bought this Griso. I've been luke warm on them since they came out. Rode one and didn't particularly like it, but I think the style has potential. This one has a Mistral carbon can and sounds nice.

I hate the high and wide 'bars, so bought a flat bar which I tried to fit today. This bar was cranked at the ends, and there was no way I could fit it and avoud the left switch block hitting the tank. That rules out the obvious and cheap option, so now I am looking at clip-ons.

Has anyone in the group fitted clip-ons to their Griso? What did you use? Where did you get them? How did you re-route the hydraulic lines?

Balance of probabilities is that I'll then need some rear-sets. On first look, these won't be so straighforward to fit. Surely someone else has been this way before? Or will the Buell pegs do the job?

Anyone's comment is welcome to help minimise the pioneering I have to do.

cheers,

Fergo

Welcome Fergo, congrats on the Griso(!). First, please send along your info to me for the Modern Guzzi Registry as seen HERE. Send info and photos to me direct to: Todd at GuzziTech.com

I'd recommend contacting MillePercento in Italy, as they raced a Griso (pics below)... it looks like they used a clip-on of sorts, and they kept the stock pegs. Clip-ons shouldn't be a problem to source, just measure the diameter of the fork legs and do a simple search. Rear-sets would be tough, and would take some custom fabricating. Keep us updated here on your findings.

11.jpg

09.jpg

08.jpg

More info on their website.

Welcome to the board. You might try to source some Aprilia Falco, or early RSV clipons as the forks are the same.

AJ

There are a number of options for handlebars that do work. Some use MX bars from companies like Renthal (Pastrana's seem popular) trimming the ends to narrow them up. Some use bars from Aprilias like the Tuano and the Shiver. Others use bars from Ducati Monsters or any other bikes that come with tapered bars. If you really want clip-ons, as said early RSVs and Falcos used the exact same forks. If you like the straight bar look why don't you adjust the steering lock tabs to reduce fork steering lock to keep the bars from hitting the tank? Where there's a will there's a way. As far as rearsets, I know of none but the stock pegs are pretty high and tight (as evidenced by the MillePercento race bikes), in fact the point to the Buell peg swap is they have an offset peg that lowers the peg for those with less bendable knees. I do agree that in many respects the V11 is a better bike, but I do not have the issues with the Griso you seem to. Good luck with finding happiness with your Griso. There is a lot of potential in the Griso, it will never be a V11 but it can, like most Guzzis, be much better then it left the factory. I think that is part of the appeal of Guzzis.

Thanks for the quality responses; I'll chase some Aprillia 'bars and see what happens.
Fergo

I'm looking at Rizoma bars for my Griso, bit lower than stock, 5 inches narrower, more sweep. I have them on my Monster and like them. Comes in colors.

I think I am making progress.

I went looking at clip-ons, but was able to buy an old-fashioned straight 'bar, 7/8", chrome plated steel, for A$30, so I did. Made up some sleeves to fit the clamps, drilled it to suit the switch blocks.....and could not make anything work properly. In everything I did with them, the switch blocks still hit the engine covers on full lock.

Aprilia 'bars were stupidly, stupidly expensive, so I bought some after-market Ducati copies for a plain silly A$400 the pair. Nice. There are two problems encountered, though.

First is the very small offset between hydraulic reservoirs and handlebar, only 3 - 4 mm, which means that, on these bars at least, I can't get the levers as far up as I'd like. Second problem is that these bars are downswept by 10 - 15*, which looks nice but still interferes with the engine covers. Nett result is that they are straighter now than I'd like, but at least they clear the paintwork.

I've had a bit of a flogette today. Initially they were uncomfortable, with too much weight on the outside of my palms, but I did get used to this and it may not be so bad after all. It definite, however, that the footrests need to go back by perhaps 4", to get my knees back to a narrower part of the tank.

Clip-ons with no downsweep would be better, allowing more pull back, and I might wind up making a pair of suitable fork clamps if none can be had at a sensible price. I'll post some pictures when I work out how to do it.....

cheers,

Fergo

Fergo wrote:
I think I am making progress.

I went looking at clip-ons, but was able to buy an old-fashioned straight 'bar, 7/8", chrome plated steel, for A$30, so I did. Made up some sleeves to fit the clamps, drilled it to suit the switch blocks.....and could not make anything work properly. In everything I did with them, the switch blocks still hit the engine covers on full lock.

Aprilia 'bars were stupidly, stupidly expensive, so I bought some after-market Ducati copies for a plain silly A$400 the pair. Nice. There are two problems encountered, though.

First is the very small offset between hydraulic reservoirs and handlebar, only 3 - 4 mm, which means that, on these bars at least, I can't get the levers as far up as I'd like. Second problem is that these bars are downswept by 10 - 15*, which looks nice but still interferes with the engine covers. Nett result is that they are straighter now than I'd like, but at least they clear the paintwork.

I've had a bit of a flogette today. Initially they were uncomfortable, with too much weight on the outside of my palms, but I did get used to this and it may not be so bad after all. It definite, however, that the footrests need to go back by perhaps 4", to get my knees back to a narrower part of the tank.

Clip-ons with no downsweep would be better, allowing more pull back, and I might wind up making a pair of suitable fork clamps if none can be had at a sensible price. I'll post some pictures when I work out how to do it.....

cheers,

Fergo

You know you can reduce the steering lock if you have bars that hit the tank at the end of the steering travel. Once upon a time it was a common thing to do to a race bike. Nowadays all the sportbikes already come from the factory with reduced steering lock.

Back