• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso message

typhoon

Just got it firing!
Whenever I turn on my Griso the display says "Remember to insert your user code"
I looked through the manual but can't figure out what to do. What does this mean?
Thanks

The User code is something you can enter/use to access specific items (i.e. start the bike, re-program a key, etc). I *highly* recommend using the service code for your bike as noted here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/196/917.html - you'll find it in the dashboard Menu, and you'll likely have to enter the service code to get to it. Follow your User Manual which you can download above if you don't have it handy.

The User Code. Is a five numeral code picked by you so that in the event of the antenna breaking or for some reason the dashboard can't recognize your key you can start the bike and ride home/ to your dealer or whatever.

Go into the menu and at the bottom of the list somewhere you'll find 'Change the code'. Choose this and hold the button down and you'll be told to 'Insert the code'. Choose five numbers you won't forget by using the button to scroll through until you have the first number you want. Hold the button down and it will move on to the next space. When you have five numbers inserted hold the button down and it will revert to the menu.

You now have your. User Code and will no longer get the irritating message when you fire the bike up.

If you wish to change the code you need two keys. Go to 'Code Recovery' and it will tell you to insert the second key. Once you have done this, (There is a time limit for key changing. 15 or 30 seconds?) it will tell you you can insert a new code. Same procedure as used for the initial set-up.

Pete

As I posted above, do yourself (and anyone having to touch the bike in the future) a big favor, and use the User Service code for your bike linked above.

I see the manual and I will download it. THANK YOU!
I only have one key. That is all the original owner said he had.

typhoon said:
I see the manual and I will download it. THANK YOU!
I only have one key. That is all the original owner said he had.

Every bike comes from the factory with two keys. Once you have the user code entered, buy a new key and have it cut for your bike. With the user code and service/maintenance code you can program the dash to recognize the new key. That way you will have two keys for the bike and if necessary a code recovery could be performed in the future. See page 31 of the 1100 Breva general service manual in the downloads section.

I've been under the impression (apparently wrong) that if the code was left unchanged, the '00000' default from the factory would serve as a users code in the event of antenna failure, key failure, etc. So simply leaving it at 00000 won't work?

If I do need to enter codes other than 00000, I like your suggestion of using the ECU access code as the user code

ohiorider said:
I've been under the impression (apparently wrong) that if the code was left unchanged, the '00000' default from the factory would serve as a users code in the event of antenna failure, key failure, etc. So simply leaving it at 00000 won't work?

If I do need to enter codes other than 00000, I like your suggestion of using the ECU access code as the user code

If you leave it at the default code, every time you turn the bike on it will ask you to insert a user code. If you want to put up with that, it is your choice.

GT-Rx said:
As I posted above, do yourself (and anyone having to touch the bike in the future) a big favor, and use the User Service code for your bike linked above.
Hi. I read this thread a while back and I'm just now getting around to doing this code thing finally.

Maybe it's the tech writer in me, but when I'm instructed to do something that's not familiar, I like to know the reason. So.... could you explain why it's a good idea to use the service code as one's user code? Is it just because it's easy to look up, if forgotten? Or is there some other reason I'm not seeing? Does the bike care?

Second question: Why does the message actually say "Remember to insert your user code"? It's not something you'd need to do every time, right? So is this just a poorly worded way of saying "Remember to create a user code"? Because, from what I'm reading, you shouldn't see this "insert" reminder once the code is changed/created.

MrMorrisSD said:
GT-Rx said:
Hi. I read this thread a while back and I'm just now getting around to doing this code thing finally.

Maybe it's the tech writer in me, but when I'm instructed to do something that's not familiar, I like to know the reason. So.... could you explain why it's a good idea to use the service code as one's user code? Is it just because it's easy to look up, if forgotten? Or is there some other reason I'm not seeing? Does the bike care?

Second question: Why does the message actually say "Remember to insert your user code"? It's not something you'd need to do every time, right? So is this just a poorly worded way of saying "Remember to create a user code"? Because, from what I'm reading, you shouldn't see this "insert" reminder once the code is changed/created.

By using the service code for the bike as the user code, it is easy to look up if forgotten. Also you will see many posts where a used bike was purchased and only one key was supplied. If something happens to that key and you don't know the user code, you are screwed if the immobilizer antenna breaks and the previous owner didn't tell you the user code. If it is the service code, you have a chance, if the user code isn't the service code, the new owner is screwed and the only option may be a dash replacement as well as the antenna. Once a user code is entered it will not ask for one again unless the key isn't recognized.

The bike doesn't care what code you use, but the code you choose may cause or alleviate problems later. As for the wording, the translation from Italian for the dash message probably is just as bad as for the wording in the manuals.

ohiorider, Does your second key start your bike? I checked mine after reading a thread on GT a while back and found that my spare key was not recognized. Couldn't ignore the message " Rememeber to enter your user code" any longer. With the new code I was able to follow the procedure to "memorize" the second key.

MrMorrisSD, I initially read the message the same way. The bike ran, so I ignored it for a year.

Todd, Good idea. I think I'll change mine to match the service code. I based my code on a partial palindrome of the service code so that I wouldn't forget it. But it would be nearly impossible for someone else to figure it out.

I used the last 5 digits of my VIN as suggested on another site. You can also sharpie it under your seat or some other protected area.

Back