• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso MonoShock removal

Epyx

Just got it firing!
Hello,
I found and read the thread about removal of the monoshock from other CARC bikes but it didnt work quite as well for the Griso. I have removed the 2 bolts from the bottom linkage and the upper bolt (thanks to the thread about the proper 13mm wrench); however, I cant pull the shock out completly because of the resevour. I have it resting in the swingarm but its still in the way. Anyone have a trick to get this thing out other than removing the airbox or dropping the swingarm? Rear wheel and muffler are removed.
Thanks!

Remove the left peg plate complete assembly, and lift the bike to lower the swing-arm until the shock has room to come out. Snap a few pics for me to post here if you would. Are you replacing it with something new or ?

GT-Rx said:
Remove the left peg plate complete assembly, and lift the bike to lower the swing-arm until the shock has room to come out. Snap a few pics for me to post here if you would. Are you replacing it with something new or ?

I'm interested in step by step photos as I want to take it apart to fit grease nipples to the linkage.....but if you have to remove the foot peg plate to get the shock out you can't use the Guzzi maintenance stand as the bobbins are fitted to the plate. I know if I jack my Griso up under the sump the centre of balance is further back so it rests on the back wheel. Any ideas how to lift the bike so the swinging arm can drop to give the clearance to get the shock out?

Jack the bike up on rear of sump,slide a bar through hole in frame left to right and support on jack stands.I do this to remove rear wheel without removing rear fender.Hope it will work for you.
Regards
Mell/Duc

Will wrote
I'm interested in step by step photos as I want to take it apart to fit grease nipples to the linkage...
Will I looked at doing this to mine when I had the engine out & apart for the leaking main bearing gasket / Bolt hole depth problem. I didn't do it 'cos the rollers sit in very thin outer shells and there is very little room to run in a nipple hole even on the double bearing set, so I just stripped, regreased, replaced, as needed and improved the seals where possible with O-rings to keep out shit. Should be good for at least a couple of years. The bearings for these are the same as my trx sport bike and are off the shelf items at my local(regional) bearing shop in OZ. There are more than 20 of them in each bearing and 8 bearings I think :roll: :roll: lots of the little buggers ;)
What I did do was put long stemed grease nipples in the swing arm bearings by drilling through the frame. I would not recomend this to anyone!! The angles and clearances inside the frame that cant be seen are so tight that you risk breaking drill bits off and jamming taps etc. you have to drill through the outside of the frame and then again on the inside where the bearing outer sits and the longest grease nipple only just reaches
If you still want to try I suggest you look very closely at the whole thing first and do a fair bit of measuring with the swing arm off :whistle: :whistle:

contractor20 said:
Will wrote
I'm interested in step by step photos as I want to take it apart to fit grease nipples to the linkage...
Will I looked at doing this to mine when I had the engine out & apart for the leaking main bearing gasket / Bolt hole depth problem. I didn't do it 'cos the rollers sit in very thin outer shells and there is very little room to run in a nipple hole even on the double bearing set, so I just stripped, regreased, replaced, as needed and improved the seals where possible with O-rings to keep out shit. Should be good for at least a couple of years. The bearings for these are the same as my trx sport bike and are off the shelf items at my local(regional) bearing shop in OZ. There are more than 20 of them in each bearing and 8 bearings I think :roll: :roll: lots of the little buggers ;)
What I did do was put long stemed grease nipples in the swing arm bearings by drilling through the frame. I would not recomend this to anyone!! The angles and clearances inside the frame that cant be seen are so tight that you risk breaking drill bits off and jamming taps etc. you have to drill through the outside of the frame and then again on the inside where the bearing outer sits and the longest grease nipple only just reaches
If you still want to try I suggest you look very closely at the whole thing first and do a fair bit of measuring with the swing arm off :whistle: :whistle:

Kym,
Thanks for those warnings....much appreciated!
Maybe an alternative way to lube the shock linkage would be to copy the swinging arm design of my 35+ year old MZ ISDT bike? It has a hollow spindle with grease nipples in the ends. The lube is fed to the bearings from the inside of the spindle via holes drilled thru' the wall of the hollow spindle that line up with the bearings.

Sorry for the late response.

I'll take some pictures tonight to show my progress and set up. I'm waiting on parts so I'm off the road for a few days. Might as well do something while the bike is hanging in my garage...

My lift rig:Adding to what others have said regarding how to lift the bike. I don’t have the Guzzi specific maintenance stand so I mimicked the service manual by using ratchet straps looped through the frame rails under the seat. I have open rafters in my garage so I also looped straps around the rafters - 4 total, 2 under the rails, and two haging from the rafters. I'll add pictures this evening. I use a completely inappropriate bike jack under the engine to support the majority of the weight and to raise and lower as needed (once raised I tighten the straps as needed). Not the best set-up but it's working for now - no good for oil changes, no access to the filter, but ok for everything else.

What am I doing?Not replacing the monoshock, at least not now. I'm working on my clutch hydraulics and the only way to access the command cylinder is through the rear. I have been having intermittent problems with my clutch binding when hot so trying to fix the problem. Bleeding didn’t work, so had to go in deeper.

GT-Rx said:
Remove the left peg plate complete assembly...

Ahhh! :idea: That makes sense. Easy as well. Right side foot plate looked like a pain in the ass so I abandoned plans on that side. I dont know why I didnt consider the left side. Thanks for the advice!

I just replaced my stock shock on my 17 Griso. It really made it easy by removing the left and right side plates

Back