• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Rim Troubles

Grisorider

Just got it firing!
HI,
The spoked front rim of my Griso leaks air and the mechanic at the shop where I take it to get serviced told me it is from one of my spokes and the shop, because it is a dealership, will only sell me a new spoked rim.

I have been adding air to the tire when and as needed but this is bothersome especially when I want to get on and go riding.

I am in New York and have contacted several specialty shops to ask if they will look at it for me but not one wants to touch it.

I am not too mechanically inclined with motorcycles but am intending to remove the front tire with rim and soak it in a bin to see if I can find where the leak is actually coming from.

Has anyone had a similar issue of this type? If so, what have you found. If not, what do you recommend?

We(dealer I worked at) had a Stelvio that leaked at a spoke and he got a new wheel under warranty. His was still under warranty. I do not think you can get just the orings. You might find a wheel builder that would do the job.

A proper fix is to replace the o-ring. It is just an o-ring. You should be able to source it from any number of suppliers once you know the size.
A second, easier option is to remove the tire, clean and scuff the area, and apply a thin coat of silicone sealer. That is not the best way to do it, but it is the easy way. As a point of reference, supermoto guys take entire spoked wheels and convert them to tubeless by coating the spoke area with silicone and wrapping that with Duc tape. So, while using silicone for this isn't really the right way, it would not be the first time someone has used silicone for that purpose.

Hi thank you both for your advise with this problem. The warranty for my bike has long since expired and I will consider the o-ring and silicone fix recommendation.

Hello Grisorider,

I have the same problem with my front rim since the bike was new. Three O-rings were replaced by the dealer under warranty. For a short while the leakage stopped. At the moment i stil have a very small leak wich i tried to plug with anti-lekage tire filler but without effect.

Having converted my Jackal to tubeless a few years ago, I will offer the following: Polyurethane sealers are hard to work with. The fast cure ones are actually called Polyether, but 3M won't tell you that They all cure through exposure to moisture in the air, but Polyether also releases methanol. I made the following mistake: after coating the spoke nipples with fast cure, I smoothened it all out with a wet finger with soapy water. That makes the fast cure stuff skin over fairly quickly, bot under the sealed surface, the methanol is slowly released and trapped, so you get air pockets. Polyurethane (slow cure) cures to the strength of the rubber in a car tire, and it needs a week or more to cure, but it can be cut with a soldering iron. The fast cure is not as tenacious (20 years of boating)
On my next tire change I will go with silicone, after carving out the Polyether, as I have had a slow leak up front long enough. Spraying the spoke nipples with soapy water will show you where the leaks are.
Tire sealer don't work because they only cover the inside of the running surface.
The best info on these sealers is found in the West Marine catalog.

Back