• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Shop Stand Bobbins & Bolts

mojohand

Cruisin' Guzzisti
[crossposted in Wildguzzi]

So, I ordered a shop stand from Guzzi through my soon-to-be-defunct dealer. It came without bobbins and the bolts for them. I asked Steelhorse to contact Guzzi and get them for me. Guzzi's response: "Jeff has checked our stock and this stand doesn’t come with anything else." The comment was that I would have to source the bobbins and bolts myself.

I bought this stand because the one I'd bought earlier was missing 1 bolt, and because Bill Hagan had a new Griso he wanted a stand for. I sold him my slightly used stand, telling him he'd have to source the bolt, and I bought the one from the dealer at a very good price.

Now, I'm STILL without a usable shop stand! Any help out there? Anyone buy the stand and know where they sourced the bobbins & bolts?

Thanks.

Joe,

Sent you an e/m as result of our telephone call, then thought I'd share some of that info here for the F group, with "F" not standing for "Focus." :whistle:

As I mentioned to Joe on phone, my stand has the bobbins and one bolt, the other items having gone AWOL while in USPS care.

But, as we also discussed, the attached instructions make it clear that they are part and parcel of the stand. To have Guzzi say otherwise is baffling, as it is obviously unusable without those. The person who said that could not be familiar with the item, its components, or use.

I will post photos of the bobbin and bolt, too, later today. The bobbin (of which I have two) is 1 5/8 inches by 1 inch. The bolt is a socket head M8 with coarse threading and is 4 5/8 inches. Don't have metric stick and did not convert.

I have not been able to find a socket head, but did find a likely workable (but hardly ideal) sub with a 5/16 standard cap-screw bolt. Got it a bit longer to account for the cap not fitting into the bobbin and requiring a washer. Don't think that its rotating is an issue, tho the socket-cap doesn't because it's locked into the bobbin's outer hole.

Unfortunately, do not have specs on the other missing parts. No big deal on the nuts, as they are M8 coarse. Spacers are an unknown length but are likely simply aluminum that I can sub with similar or steel once I get length by crawling under Griso. Uhm ... there's that "Maddening" again. :-(

We should NOT have to do this, so I hope Joe prevails with Mother Guzzi.

Bill

Attachments

• Moto Guzzi Griso Service Stand Installation Instructions.pdf
    919.6 KB · Views: 157
PIX ADDED Re: Griso Shop Stand Bobbins & Bolts

Here are the photos I mentioned in my previous reply, just above.

Bill

Attachments

• DSCF5505.jpeg
    DSCF5505.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCF5508.jpeg
    DSCF5508.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 866
  • DSCF5514.jpeg
    DSCF5514.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 865
  • DSCF5515.jpeg
    DSCF5515.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 865
One possibility is that the stand in question is not for the Griso, but for other big-block Guzzis like the V11 Sport or the Centauro.

A while ago I purchased the same stand for my Griso on the MG Cycle website, but when I received it I realized there were no spindles. I called the MG Cycle folks and they said "Cr@p! We've sent you the wrong 'un..." and told me there are two different models of this stand; apparently, the Centauro etc. one does not need the spindles because they are already installed on the bikes' frame.

BTW, they also said that the two models are not identical in size, so the Centauro model may not fit the Griso properly even with the spindles on.

Part # for Griso stand:
GU97324350

Part # for Centauro stand (as found on the MG Cycle website):
GU99000097

Hope this helps.

Bill Hagan said:
That is VERY interesting and helpful. Many thanks.

For others, compare:

Griso: http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1522

Centauro, etc.: http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1567

Joe, I'm thinking that the additional spacers and nuts I mention are ... doh ... on the Griso already. Will check later.

The bobbins and spindles, tho, are clearly add-on essential items for the Griso.

Bill

I love quoting myself. :laugh:

Anyway, Joe, you and I have been emailing about this, but I thought I would share more info with the others FWIW.

First, you really gotta love Guzzis to put up with this. :)

Second, don't let anyone tell that you can just go get this unobtanium fastener at ACE Hardware or, FTM, any other fastener seller, even those with massive stocks. I thought McMaster-Carr had everything, but not, it appears, this.

So, I googled the only ID I could find for the pesky screw on the instructions that came with the stand, TCEI M8X1,25-L100.

The only meaningful hit I got was for ProItalia, a big Ducati and other Italian m/c dealer (including, again, only recently, Moto Guzzis), http://www.proitalia.com/.

I sent an e/m asking about that fastener and got a response ... on Christmas Eve!

"Simi" confirmed that the stand instructions specified TCEI M8X1,25-L100 and ProItalias's Part #8A0062803, which is actually "MV Agusta OEM VITE TCEI M8X1,25-L100," are the same.

Simi said that, "We do not have in stock, would have to order and MV Agusta parts are taking any where from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months to come in."

I told him that I was happy to order and wait. After all, anyone who owns Italian motorcycles is either patient or crazy by now. ;-)

And, as I mentioned before, the instructions inexplicably call this a M6. It is a M8.

I also confirmed that the spacers and nut are on the Griso already, so anyone facing this stand-minus-bolt issue doesn't have to go source everything on their own.

While I await the MV "OEM" part, think I have a workaround in the sense I will try using a hex-cap head 5/16 5" bolt. Requires placing washer between head and spindle (as the correct socket-cap part slips flush into the spindle), but should work.

Merry Christmas and a Guzzi New Year!

Bill

Fastenal has 8mm x 120mm SS socket head bolt for $6.69 per. 8mm swingarm spools can be had for less than $15 at most motorcycle shops or online.

I wouldn't wait 2 or 3 months to use the stand, I would just source the parts. Ask the supplying vendor for a $25 or $30 dollar credit to cover the missing parts.

Perazzimx14 said:
Fastenal has 8mm x 120mm SS socket head bolt for $6.69 per. 8mm swingarm spools can be had for less than $15 at most motorcycle shops or online.

I wouldn't wait 2 or 3 months to use the stand, I would just source the parts. Ask the supplying vendor for a $25 or $30 dollar credit to cover the missing parts.

Now THAT is funny.

I've never heard of Fastenal, tho an ACE guy suggested the place yesterday.

Googled it after your post. Doh. 5 miles from here, and seem to be everywhere. :laugh:

Will try 'em tomorrow. Thanks.

Bill

P.S. I wasn't going to wait, as my ACE hex cap 8mm would have worked. Still appreciate the hint.

My Griso stand came with both bobbins and bolts. The bolts are longer than the ones that come on the Griso because of the bobbins. My friendly dealer, Rose farm Classics installed the bolts and bobbins while doing my 1st service. As has been said, ProBolt, Fastenal, Ace Hardware or most industrial hardware stores may have the bolt in stock.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

The good part about Fastenal is that they will probably have exactly what you want. The really bad part about Fastenall is that they will only sell you a box of the item, even though you only want a couple of bolts, nuts, etc. The price for a box will most likely be $30 +. They used to sell in smaller quantities at my local Fastenal store..................but not any more.

www.pro-bolt.com

They also have stainless and Hex Head bolts drilled for safety wire. If you get a Skidmarx Hugger, please do yourself a favor and replace the bolts that come with it so you can use safety wire on all three of the mounting bolts.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

Chicago Mark said:
My Griso stand came with both bobbins and bolts. The bolts are longer than the ones that come on the Griso because of the bobbins. My friendly dealer, Rose farm Classics installed the bolts and bobbins while doing my 1st service. As has been said, ProBolt, Fastenal, Ace Hardware or most industrial hardware stores may have the bolt in stock.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

That tears it. I want my money back from Jim. You apparently have Most Favored Customer status. :p

jackson said:
The good part about Fastenal is that they will probably have exactly what you want. The really bad part about Fastenall is that they will only sell you a box of the item, even though you only want a couple of bolts, nuts, etc. The price for a box will most likely be $30 +. They used to sell in smaller quantities at my local Fastenal store..................but not any more.

Yeah, but by time I buy the perfect OEM and pay shipping, I'll be up there, too.

Mebbe I can cut my losses and part 'em out. I plan to charge mojohand triple mark-up. He's desperate, so he'll pay it. Read 'em and weep, Joe. :laugh:

Chicago Mark said:
http://www.pro-bolt.com

They also have stainless and Hex Head bolts drilled for safety wire. If you get a Skidmarx Hugger, please do yourself a favor and replace the bolts that come with it so you can use safety wire on all three of the mounting bolts.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

I am probably going with Skidmarx. I have the "plain" one on my Norge. And, aside from fracturing on the lower left side from vibration -- which Wayne Orwig fixed with some beefed up fiberglass -- it has also lost the fastener there, even tho it had a nylock nut. Had same tire rub you experienced, so I am going to go with safety wire on both. May need Kathi to stay here in Milan a few more days so I can have the use of her itty-bitty girly hands to get in there and tighten those way-hidden fasteners.

Buon Natale!

Bill

I have been on quite a journey with this service stand :(
I ordered one from Harper last July (2021) and finally received it in January 2022. PART NUMBER: 973243500010
It came WITHOUT spools or bolts, Harpers said they would investigate, but they never followed up with me.
I finally got around to sourcing the spools are bobbins myself.
NOW – as I attempted to use the service stand – it is too narrow. Not wide enough to reach both sides of the frame – by a lot.
Could someone measure the width of the stand spool channels and let me know? I would appreciate it. The one I got was 13", I assume the correct spread is +15".
Thank you
When I sold my 2V Griso I included in the service stand. It was not long before regret of being without a Guzzi set in, and I bought a 4V. Should have foreseen that reget and kept the stand. 😉 My son begged me not to sell the bike - should have listened to him, but I am enjoying the 4V.

Last edited:
Back