Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Griso suddenly wont start (will try, stumbles, but dies)

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by archercc, Oct 13, 2020.

1. archercc

archercc Tuned and Synch'ed

So Griso was flawless up in the blue ridge mountains last week other than the neutral sensor acting up despite being replaced (new design with the regular connector, slathered in grease).

Over the weekend the hurricane moved in so bike sat outside the cabin for a couple of days in the rain and then got loaded up on the trailer and towed back. Fired up just fine to pull into garage after unloading trailer, just a few dozen yards.

Went to ride it tonight and it wouldn't start. It will try, it stumbles, occasionally it will run like crap for 10 seconds and die.

No active codes in ECU or dash. Just the oil sensor history one that comes up once a year and it didnt return after clearing it.

Looking in the fuel tank I see some small bubbles when turning ignition on (every time) but dont see anything obvious like a loose hose churning a lot of gas around when trying to start. Could the bubbles be an indicator or is it doing some sort of line clearing procedure?

2. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

If the fuel line (or pump) has a small hole , it could very well be bleeding off fuel pressure . That's never good for running :).
    Peter

3. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

Could the plug hollows have filled up with water

4. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Lack of spark due to moisture, probably round the plug caps. Have you still got the original plug caps? Well known for them to arc anyway.

5. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Do you have the infamous plastic/metal fuel filter still? It could have started to split open causing lose of pressure and making the bubbles.

6. archercc

So most everything in the bike is OG. The only thing I think Ive changed is the line from the tank to the injectors, which got abused once trying to take the tank off. Everything inside is original as best I can tell.

Pulled the covers and checked plug wires, etc. No sign of any intrusion on them. Lifted the tank (not removed, that is such a PITA for me for some reason) and checked those plugs as well with no sign of any issues there. No standing water anywhere.

Guess Ill be attacking the fuel system. One other suggestion I got was if the drain for the well AROUND the filler opening is pinched/clogged it can cause water to build up and then seep into the tank, settling to the bottom, and displacing the fuel. If that were the case there would have been plenty of opportunity for that to happen, couldnt get the bike under cover and we got hit with some sustained rain.

Step one will be to try and swap the fuel and clear the lines. If that doesn't work then Ill pull the tank and probably just start swapping stuff out (probably not a bad idea anyway, sounds like a good deal needs to be updated).

7. Bisbonian

Bisbonian Cruisin' Guzzisti

8. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

This is PRECISELY the symptom when the fuel line or hybrid plastic/metal filter ruptures in the tank. Often times the bike will actually still run until you try to open the throttle, which is when the pressure rises in the fuel pump and the rupture opens wider and pressure in the line goes down, hence the coughing, sputtering and dying.

Pull the fuel pump assembly from the tank. Bet you will find a ruptured fuel line connector or filter.

I had this exact same thing on my Piaggio X9 scooter. Ruptured 2" fuel line from pump to the filter. No codes, no warning, just started, idled unusual, died when throttle turned.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  9. archercc

So it looks like it must have been the water issue. I siphoned all but the last few drops out and dumped in a gallon of fresh 93, cleared the lines and she fired back up. Holds an idle well, feels like MAYBE its vibrating a little more than usual but it could just be because its on the work stand.

I will still likely be shopping fuel system parts to just refresh the hoses and filter just in case since i want this bad boy bulletproof for road trips.

Now just to figure out why this damned neutral light is flaky again. Got the new sensor installed and the new clip on it slathered in grease to keep water out and it started being unreliable again (the day prior to this rainstorm).

Edit for Scott: she does seem to rev without issue. But will probably replace lines and filter sooner than later just to be sure.

10. archercc

Looking the the tank it looks like mine had the recall done, the accordion hose is looped down to the filter and its zip tied to the pump.

11. Dale Baker

Dale Baker Cruisin' Guzzisti

Archer, this exact same scenario happened with my 2000 Buell Thunderbolt this year (start for second after energizing pump, bubbles swirling a bit). It was the fuel pump. Drained tank, swapped what was the original pump for a new one, and now all is fine. Good luck.